DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I need a car for 10 weeks

Wight Flight

Wight Flight

Anyone in the know out there?

I need another car for the summer when the lad steals mine. Hiring one is a bit pricey!

Tempted to see if I can buy a £3k runabout off a local dealer, and sell it back to them 10 weeks and a thousand miles later.

Anyone tried this, or know what kind of margin they will want to make off me (assuming I buy something that has been sat on his forecourt for a few months already)?

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Anyone in the know out there?

I need another car for the summer when the lad steals mine. Hiring one is a bit pricey!

Tempted to see if I can buy a £3k runabout off a local dealer, and sell it back to them 10 weeks and a thousand miles later.

Anyone tried this, or know what kind of margin they will want to make off me (assuming I buy something that has been sat on his forecourt for a few months already)?

ONTO hire EV's by the month , 1 month minimum.  All in , insurance, free rapid charge cards, 1000 miles a month.  We hired a Peugeot E208 GT for 2 months, cost us about £600 a month with additional 750 mile "bolt on" for 1750 miles a month. 

A whole list to charge networks supported for free, i can get you a list to check out.  No idea if they will deliver and collect  to IOW, ask them by email. 

Try the Dark side! :Jumping:

All-Inclusive Electric Car Subscriptions | Onto

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis

Buy a £500 car with three months' MoT remaining? I keep seeing videos where people do this and the car is find.

I've noted that I watch "Chops Garage" and his typical car is a small car eight to twelve years old.

He buys for about £800 - £1,000, has it MoTed before he puts any money into it, then gives it a good clean and fixes any broken bits before selling for £2,000 - £2,500 with a warranty.

If you're prepared to take the gamble he does, these cars are mostly bought unseen from British Car Auctions, then you can avoid paying the margin.

Typically three out of four cars are fine; though obviously steer clear of accident damaged (Cat whatever) unless you know what you're doing.

Which I don't.

Example from last week; £500 Passat bought in one hour with now work, driven to Lake District and back.

It will be fun anyway and at £500 a pop it's not a financial disaster if the first one, two or even three are lemons.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It will be fun anyway and at £500 a pop it's not a financial disaster if the first one, two or even three are lemons

that's an entertaining vid........quote 'I think they talk like this in Chesterfield; eh up bastard!' xD

Interesting how they don't trust each other; the most trusted bloke, 'yeah I trust him 10%' 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, nirvana said:

that's an entertaining vid........quote 'I think they talk like this in Chesterfield; eh up bastard!' xD

Interesting how they don't trust each other; the most trusted bloke, 'yeah I trust him 10%' 

I don't know if it's studied but they are developing an old Top Gear vibe where the presenters, rather than being "great mates" like the rubbish new Top Gear, are actually permanently trying to get one over each other and score points.

It wasn't like that a year ago when Alex was clearly in charge and many videos were just him, with Ethan and Jack happy to simply appear even if just as the butt of his jokes, but now getting one over Alex, as in that video, is very much the aim.

Jeremy Clarkson used to win similar challenges nine times out of ten because he couldn't bear to lose so they were set up to give him advantage.

Obviously they're similar to Top Gear to a degree, because ultimately there aren't that many different things that you can do with cars, but they're not simply imitating.

• Cheers 1

Wight Flight
32 minutes ago, markyh said:

ONTO hire EV's by the month , 1 month minimum.  All in , insurance, free rapid charge cards, 1000 miles a month.  We hired a Peugeot E208 GT for 2 months, cost us about £600 a month with additional 750 mile "bolt on" for 1750 miles a month. 

A whole list to charge networks supported for free, i can get you a list to check out.  No idea if they will deliver and collect  to IOW, ask them by email. 

How bloody much? Would be cheaper to get the bus!

There are 12 places to charge an EV on the Island, totalling 24 charging points. All of which are 7kw or 22kw 32A Mennakes (whatever that means?)

The nearest is 25-30 minutes from home now, make that nearer 45 minutes in the height of summer.

Think I will stick with fossil fuels.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

There are 12 places to charge an EV on the Island, totalling 24 charging points. All of which are 7kw or 22kw 32A Mennakes (whatever that means?)

The nearest is 25-30 minutes from home now, make that nearer 45 minutes in the height of summer.

Trying to buy and sell back to a dealer is tricky, if he's had it a while without any interest he won't want it back later. The exception is if it's something seasonal, like a soft top in the winter season or a 4x4 in the  summer season.

Then you might find a dealer who'll sell something on sale and return where he sees the demand rising in 3 or 4 months. Or buy something unfashionable, I bought a Shitroen c3 diesel for 4/5ths of 7/10ths of fuck all because nobody else wanted it. That was 3 years ago and it's cost me nothing but the test fees, tax, insurance, fuel and windscreen washer fluid:D.

• Informative 1

12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

New 2021 VW e-up, £339 a month all in, zero fuel costs ? That's only £11 a day.  Zap map says 3 rapid 50kw CCS chargers in IOW , 

50kw  Geniepoint @ Morrisons Sandown , 50kw Geniepoint Chapel street car park in Newport, 50kw BP pulse in Fishbourne Lane Ryde , Wightlink IOW Ferries.  Plus as you said a whole hose of 7kw-22kw Type 2 chargers. 

BP pulse chargecard is included with ONTO, unsure about GeniePoint but wouldn't be surprised if it was also covered too. 

You will also get an included 3 pin 2kw 10amp granny charger you could use at home with an extension lead maybe? 

I would do it for £11 a day with no fuel costs just not to mingle with the unwashed on the buses! 

Edited by markyh
  • Informative 1

this is absolutely ace! Just goes to show what you can do with some metal pipes and a welder! Long live DIY!!!

• Agree 1

Although there are no bargain cars at any price point these days you might time it just right to buy a convertible right now and get all your money back, or perhaps even a slight profit, in the Spring.

Edit - Ignore that, I've just reread it and realised you don't actually need it until the Summer

Edited by Royston

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, markyh said:

50kw  Geniepoint @ Morrisons Sandown , 50kw Geniepoint Chapel street car park in Newport, 50kw BP pulse in Fishbourne Lane Ryde , Wightlink IOW Ferries.

Two of those are 35-45 minutes (in good traffic) from the South Wight. Leaving just one to service every holidaymaker that comes over with their EV.

What do you think the odds of finding it without a queue are in the height of summer?

6 minutes ago, markyh said:

New 2021 VW e-up, £339 a month all in, zero fuel costs ? That's only £11 a day. 

And you can do that on a 10 week contract? Sounds very cheap.

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, Royston said:

Although there are no bargain cars at any price point these days you might time it just right to buy a convertible right now and get all your money back, or perhaps even a slight profit, in the Spring.

Yes. This is quite tempting...

https://www.wightbay.com/ventnor/cars/mini-convertible-2005-6303485

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

On the list of not suitable for the driving test due to visibility issues :D

Main faults are cooling system issues at that age, plastic water pump leaking, metal pipe in hose system corroded and leaking, radiator and fan resistor are all common fails at that age. 

2005 means it should have the better gearbox so should be ok.

100k miles is where everything goes wrong O.o as all the things BMW say are sealed for life expire.

So it's either gone wrong and been done or its waiting for a kind new owner.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Two of those are 35-45 minutes (in good traffic) from the South Wight. Leaving just one to service every holidaymaker that comes over with their EV.

What do you think the odds of finding it without a queue are in the height of summer?

And you can do that on a 10 week contract? Sounds very cheap.

No monthly subscription (rental) , so would have to take 3 month minimum, 12 weeks.  Only extra would be a £100 delivery and collection charge IF they delivery to IOW,  unless they have lowered it. That might kill it on cost maybe?

You just start a hire and it auto renews every month, they email you monthly to confirm, and you just give them notice to quit around the start of the last month. 

Zero deposit needed too, 1st month payment at the start before delivery. 

It's all pretty simple and VERY popular with ULEZ area customers, you can swap and change cars as you go when they are available if you wish. 

Edited by markyh

Wight Flight
6 minutes ago, markyh said:

Only extra would be a £100 delivery and collection charge

That might be another killer. The ferry can be £200 in the summer, so I doubt they deliver here at a sensible cost.

Wight Flight
32 minutes ago, markyh said:

just not to mingle with the unwashed on the buses! 

So long as you get the bus before 9.30 you will often have it to yourself.

I followed one from home to work yesterday. No-one on it, and it didn't stop once. Meaning the damn thing is just as quick as driving. If only it was also cheaper it would be a sensible option.

11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

That might be another killer. The ferry can be £200 in the summer, so I doubt they deliver here at a sensible cost.

Ask, it's only an email.  You do not have to state the rental period up front, it's open ended, you cancel when you wish. and once you give them a end date if they dont collect that's their lookout and you just leave the car sitting outside your house unused until they collect, they cant charge you anymore.

So as far as they know you could keep it for the max 2 years they keep their cars for. The collection and delivery costs issues are fixed and their problem. 

Happy to help if you need any more info questions, have a nosey on their website. 

Edited by markyh

Just now, Wight Flight said:

I suppose you could still try your luck buying a convertible right now whilst they're theoretically not in such strong demand even if you don't need it until the Summer.

Although as I said, I think the days of convertibles being significantly cheaper in the Winter isn't really a thing anymore thanks to all the free money sloshing around.

Chewing Grass

Be naughty and get a 500W ebike, unless you are stupid nobody checks and you could tear around the IOW uphill and downdale probably faster from A to B than a car in the height of summer and get an adrenaline fix at the same time.

• Agree 3

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, markyh said:

Ok. I looked into it.

Fell at the very first hurdle, and I doubt you would ever guess what it is, but I can't hire one.

13 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Ok. I looked into it.

Fell at the very first hurdle, and I doubt you would ever guess what it is, but I can't hire one.

Postcode