DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

MOT mileage discrepancy

Uncle Buck Rogers

Uncle Buck Rogers

Im looking at a 2nd motor. I won't say the make or model or give the reg but i've found one that i like, or at least did until i ran an MOT check. 

Now, everything in the history is par for the course apart from one year where the mileage is minus.

It's 13 year old and the mileage is steady at an average of 6200 per year apart from 2013 when its recorded as -758. Everything else in the history is par for the course. 

Do i put this down to an admin error at the time or does this ring alarm bells?

The mileage between 2012 and 2014 is only around 7000 so almost half what it should be based on the average mileage. The highest yearly mileage recorded is just over 8000 and lowest is just over 4000.

It only has 1 registered previous owner, supposedly 80k miles on the clock and also supposedly a Full service history. Looks in great condition from the photos too, inc steering wheel and drivers seat.

(My current car steering wheel looks like a dog has chewed on it for reference)

Thoughts?

Edited by Uncle Buck Rogers

Chewing Grass

Mileage discrepancies are quite common due to mistooks when entering details, sixes and nines and eights are quite often confused so if 69,000 can quite often turn into 66 or 68 etc and there is no software check when its entered as on older vehicles odometers only went up to 99999.

I wouldn't worry if the car is right as 2012-14 was a long time ago so the passage of time makes what happened then irrelevant.

• Informative 1

If it's a small discrepancy I wouldn't worry about it. If it's larger I would consider it an issue. Sometimes clocks get changed too but I would want some sort of proof if so. 

Also depends on the price. If it's super cheap it wouldn't matter so much.

• Cheers 1