• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Deadly Plague in Madagascar

A disease we have forgotten about but which still stalks the shit-holes of the world.

More than a million doses of antibiotics have been delivered by the World Health Organization to fight an outbreak of plague in Madagascar.

The health ministry says the latest bout of plague has infected about 230 people in the last two months and has killed an additional 33 over the same timeframe.

There are normally about 400 cases of plague every year in the country, this year however the majority of cases are of pneumonic plague, which affects the lungs and is transmitted through coughing. It is considered to be the most deadly form of the disease and can be fatal within 24 hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41537193

32 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Its the spitting that fucks me off.

Dirty TB ridden cunts.

I was just going to say exactly this.

years ago, when there was no real risk of tb, getting a job in the public sector, at least in London, meant you had to be screened for tb.  

Now, when there is a much increased risk, tptb are incredibly blasé about it. Feckers. At lest they should make spitting in public an offence if nothing else. 

I thought the term was bubonic plague but there are 3 types of plague from the same nasty bug

Yersinia pestis[1] (formerly Pasteurella pestis) is a Gram-negative, rod-shaped coccobacillus, a facultative anaerobic organism that can infect humans via the oriental rat flea.[2] It causes the deadly disease plague, which, in humans, takes three main forms: pneumonic, septicemic, and bubonic plagues.

Who knew...

Edited by JackieO

32 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I thought the term was bubonic plague but there are 3 types of plague from the same nasty bug

Yersinia pestis[1] (formerly Pasteurella pestis) is a Gram-negative, rod-shaped coccobacillus, a facultative anaerobic organism that can infect humans via the oriental rat flea.[2] It causes the deadly disease plague, which, in humans, takes three main forms: pneumonic, septicemic, and bubonic plagues.

Who knew...

I think I remember from school there were two incidents of the plague and also seem to recall the two terms pneumonic and bubonic. But don't think we were offered any explanation as to which occurred when and what the actual difference is. 

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Its the spitting that fucks me off.

Dirty TB ridden cunts.

Lots of onshore staff in the place I work. They regularly cough their guts up and deposit the result in the sinks. There's no running of taps afterwards.

Management ignore the complaints of the natives, naturally.

Just now, BigV said:

Lots of onshore staff in the place I work. They regularly cough their guts up and deposit the result in the sinks. There's no running of taps afterwards.

Management ignore the complaints of the natives, naturally.

:Sick1::Sick1::Sick1::Sick1:

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I was just going to say exactly this.

years ago, when there was no real risk of tb, getting a job in the public sector, at least in London, meant you had to be screened for tb.  

Now, when there is a much increased risk, tptb are incredibly blasé about it. Feckers. At lest they should make spitting in public an offence if nothing else. 

Its the coughing/sneezing that bothers me as most non european immigrants other than pukka Indians and Japanese have little sense of hygiene or decorum.

Mind you most schoolkids/teenagers are exactly the same.

My strategy in life is to attempt to build a strong natural immune system.

It’s only my view and way of living but I avoid prescription and illegal drugs, eat basic home cooked food avoiding additives as much as possible, don’t get vaccinated and keep my home reasonably clean but not fanatical at all about killing germs.

Germs and bacteria are everywhere. Many people would freak out IMO if they grasped and saw through a microscope that is just how it is!

Nature will always be one step ahead IMO. For example flu vaccinations are based on a guess of what might come down the line. One year I predict that the guess will be wrong!

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I think I remember from school there were two incidents of the plague and also seem to recall the two terms pneumonic and bubonic. But don't think we were offered any explanation as to which occurred when and what the actual difference is. 

They don't even know if all of the medieval 'plagues' were actually plague.

39 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ah, ta. That's not what my history teacher told us. It's interesting though, care to illuminate? 

They don't know for sure.  At least some of the plagues* were bubonic or pneumonic plague, but there is are various arguments against plague, and some indications that it sometimes might have been anthrax or a type of ebola.

[eg, there is this fascinating finding that up to 10% of northern Europeans have a relative immunity to HIV -- the suggestion is that exposure to ebola-type viruses in the middle ages led to a rapid evolution of protection against some viral diseases, like HIV]

I'd link to something but there's plenty of stuff around if you Google it.

[* well, plague is plague.  in the middle-ages they suffered from the Black-Death.  We've just been indoctrinated into calling it plague (of whatever sub-type), to the point of plague becoming a generic description of 'a bad disease that everyone gets and quite a few die from'.  But plague is a specific thing (an infection of  the bacterium Yersinia pestis).  The suggestion is the Black-Death wasn't plague but was a different thing.]

Edited by dgul

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

They don't know for sure.  At least some of the plagues were bubonic or pneumonic plague, but there is are various arguments against plague, and some indications that it sometimes might have been anthrax or a type of ebola.

[eg, there is this fascinating finding that up to 10% of northern Europeans have a relative immunity to HIV -- the suggestion is that exposure to ebola-type viruses in the middle ages led to a rapid evolution of protection against some viral diseases, like HIV]

Appreciated dgul. 

9 hours ago, dgul said:

They don't know for sure.  At least some of the plagues* were bubonic or pneumonic plague, but there is are various arguments against plague, and some indications that it sometimes might have been anthrax or a type of ebola.

[* well, plague is plague.  in the middle-ages they suffered from the Black-Death.  We've just been indoctrinated into calling it plague (of whatever sub-type), to the point of plague becoming a generic description of 'a bad disease that everyone gets and quite a few die from'.  But plague is a specific thing (an infection of  the bacterium Yersinia pestis).  The suggestion is the Black-Death wasn't plague but was a different thing.]

Cholera being referred to as plague too.