• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

porridge remake any good?

9 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

The other idea for a pilot was better.

Set in a modern open prison for women mostly staffed by lesbians with lesbian inmates.

Kate Beckinsale and Samantha Beckinsale were lined up in lead roles, along with Rory Kinnear as Prison Governor.

Was that your idea? 

2 minutes ago, BigV said:

Was that your idea? 

No somebody that works on People Just Do Nothing for BBC3 told me it was in the process of being commissioned for a one-off pilot.

A youtube was made of the script with stand-ins. PJDN itself started on youtube as Wasteman TV. In the end the more traditional format was chosen as a vehicle for Kevin Bishop as it was more in keeping with the other pilots as close copies of originals.  

15 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I saw a bit of it.

Fucking awful.

Yep, it's an absolutely travesty. Amateurish, looks like it was filmed in one take with no rehearsals. Awful canned laughter too, which seems such an obvious irritation I can't believe they put/kept it in. And it appears it was filmed on an iPhone. I presume the budget for it came from Arkwright's till from Open All Hours. 

24/7 to fill now and full of crap IMO. No telly in my home now. I gave up wasting hours of my life watching shit years ago.

There is an odd gem here and there though.

My strategy is to review comments from various places to assess if anything’s worth watching.

Looks like this offering is a miss! 

8 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

Yep, it's an absolutely travesty. Amateurish, looks like it was filmed in one take with no rehearsals. Awful canned laughter too, which seems such an obvious irritation I can't believe they put/kept it in. And it appears it was filmed on an iPhone. I presume the budget for it came from Arkwright's till from Open All Hours. 

It's so bad that it's an insult to everybody involved in making the original programme, and to anybody who's ever taken any pleasure from watching it.

I just can't believe it. They might as well have just filmed someone shitting in their hand and then smearing the shit all over Ronnie Barker's grave stone.

:PissedOff:

The remake of "The Producers" was crap. I bought it by mistake and it went to the charity shop. The original from 1967 is marvellous.

Perhaps someone will remake Casablanca with CGI mice as the actors?xD Oh no somebody will read this, and try it.

Edited by MrPin

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've read that apparently pointless remakes of films are done for one very simple reason: they give a second payday to the copyright holder.

Kerching to the holders of the rights to marvel and dc. Just reboot batman, Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk again and again every 5 years. 

I went through a phase with lovefilm (before amazon whacked up the price to try and kill it off) of renting best foreign language oscar nominees. There were some good original storylines amongst those (intouchables, in a better world, the hunt, like stars on earth, dogtooth - wtf? - ) although I never got around to seeing the white helmet propaganda piece. 

Still want to see the Indian film about a village cricket team playing their landlord for taxes. 

The one that first springs to mind is Gus Van Sant's 1998 "remake", or rather direct copy, of Psycho.

The Anthony Perkins' film is a stone cold classic but its revenues forty years on would have dwindled to near zero; however make a new copy and you can get people to pay to see it again.

That's it; no artistic merit whatsoever but merely cash.

2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

It's so bad that it's an insult to everybody involved in making the original programme, and to anybody who's ever taken any pleasure from watching it.

I just can't believe it. They might as well have just filmed someone shitting in their hand and then smearing the shit all over Ronnie Barker's grave stone.

:PissedOff:

The remake was written by Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais...the original writers...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/entries/e2c7160c-cd98-435a-ac6a-3fc96adbc104?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=porridge&intc_linkname=bbcwritersroom_ent_vidclip

I don't know what they were thinking, but there you go...

10 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

The remake was written by Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais...the original writers...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/entries/e2c7160c-cd98-435a-ac6a-3fc96adbc104?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=porridge&intc_linkname=bbcwritersroom_ent_vidclip

I don't know what they were thinking, but there you go...

They're 80-odd so probably wanted one last paid gig. From what I saw, the jokes were pretty much in keeping with the original, and perhaps times have moved on, although I suspect the original cast would have made the new scripts work. I think the main problem was everything else - delivery, cast, production values, sets, costumes, everything... all utter shite. 

Edited by The Idiocrat

19 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

They're 80-odd so probably wanted one last paid gig. From what I saw, the jokes were pretty much in keeping with the original, and perhaps times have moved on, although I suspect the original cast would have made the new scripts work. I think the main problem was everything else - delivery, cast, production values, sets, costumes, everything... all utter shite. 

It did look a bit plastic. 

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've read that apparently pointless remakes of films are done for one very simple reason: they give a second payday to the copyright holder.

I saw a bit of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, the other night. Am I right in thinking that might be one of those films that was only made to add a gloss of credibility to Rio Ferdinand's tax avoidance?