• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

choochoo

Evolution of music

Recommended Posts

50s - Rock n roll

60s - Beatles, Stones etc

70's - prog rock, punk

early 80's - new romantic, Duran Duran etc

then I think back to my era, Rave/Dance music appearing and evolving over 4-5 years in 1988-1994, Stone Roses, NWA and Public Enemy, all producing new innovative music.

Since then... nada, has anyone actually produced anything new in the last 20 years. Dance music is IMO worse now than in the 90's, nothing new has appeared.

Has music stopped evolving and are we destined to suffer EDM, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran for the rest of time???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does seem like the 90s were the point where innovation stopped. There was grunge at the start but was it any good? Not much IMO. I liked Nirvana at the time but find them unlistenable now. All the big metal bands of the 80s were having a rough patch. The main UK popular culture of the time just seemed to be a mediocre rehash of the 70s mod era.

We are not alone in noticing this: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, choochoo said:

50s - Rock n roll

60s - Beatles, Stones etc

70's - prog rock, punk

early 80's - new romantic, Duran Duran etc

then I think back to my era, Rave/Dance music appearing and evolving over 4-5 years in 1988-1994, Stone Roses, NWA and Public Enemy, all producing new innovative music.

Since then... nada, has anyone actually produced anything new in the last 20 years. Dance music is IMO worse now than in the 90's, nothing new has appeared.

Has music stopped evolving and are we destined to suffer EDM, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran for the rest of time???

Quite a bit going on outside the anglo-saxon world; e.g. Reggeaton in the noughties in Latin America.

Edited by DeepLurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Music was fucked in the 80's when Sony bought all the independents, brought in the suits, and sacked all the talent that was costing them money to maintain.

It became solely about product and units shifted. Creativity was murdered because Accountants and Musicians have never been good bedfellows.

True story kids.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah! Sir Benjamin Hill! One of the great philosophers of the last century. Wittgenstein, Nietsche rubbish!

Anyway, back to music. One of my chums doesn't like music made between 1500, and 1973. I believe he may be eccentric.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have postulated this before in real life, to some scorn and much bemusement, but I'll give it a go here anyway:

1992 was the last year when anybody did anything truly original. Any music from 1993 onward can be shown to be nothing more than a rehash of something from 1992 back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I think that the rot set in with Oasis in the 90's, and the subsequent normalisation  and championing of mediocrity. Oasis had two good songs in their whole career. But to me, they will always be an average band - a 'Boardwalk' type of band (fellow Mancs will know what I mean.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tabasco Kid said:

I think that the rot set in with Oasis in the 90's, and the subsequent normalisation  and championing of mediocrity. Oasis had two good songs in their whole career. But to me, they will always be an average band - a 'Boardwalk' type of band (fellow Mancs will know what I mean.)

My GF at the time described Oasis as "unevolved Manc Mick chimps!

Edited by MrPin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
6 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I have this kind of feeling that culture peaked at some point in the 90's, and that it's been downhill since.

One of my fave shows to listen to is Johnnie Walker's 'Sounds of the 70's' on Radio 2 on a Sunday afternoon. Such warmth in that music - like it really meant something. I'm sure you've seen this, but in case you haven't:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tabasco Kid said:

One of my fave shows to listen to is Johnnie Walker's 'Sounds of the 70's' on Radio 2 on a Sunday afternoon. Such warmth in that music - like it really meant something. I'm sure you've seen this, but in case you haven't:

 

Yeah seen it - and agree totally.

I've always been in a bit of a timewarp with my music tastes. I'm 33 and off to see Al Stewart in a few days. Feel free to google him if no one remembers him ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 20:23, blobloblob said:

I have postulated this before in real life, to some scorn and much bemusement, but I'll give it a go here anyway:

1992 was the last year when anybody did anything truly original. Any music from 1993 onward can be shown to be nothing more than a rehash of something from 1992 back.

Broadly agree blobby - but think that Jarvis Cocker and Pulp were the last of the people with something original to offer.

To quote from the film "The Commitments" - as I often do - "Everything's shite since Roy Orbison died"...

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Broadly agree blobby - but think that Jarvis Cocker and Pulp were the last of the people with something original to offer.

To quote from the film "The Commitments" - as I often do - "Everything's shite since Roy Orbison died"...

 

XYY

Pulp were around a long time before 1992.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2017 at 21:18, JoeDavola said:

Yeah seen it - and agree totally.

I've always been in a bit of a timewarp with my music tastes. I'm 33 and off to see Al Stewart in a few days. Feel free to google him if no one remembers him ;)

I have threee of his albums from the seventies. Good songwriter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have threee of his albums from the seventies. Good songwriter.

I've had the pleasure of seeing him live twice - yes he's a great songwriter - so much more to his back catalog than just Year of the Cat.

Edited by JoeDavola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 20:23, blobloblob said:

I have postulated this before in real life, to some scorn and much bemusement, but I'll give it a go here anyway:

1992 was the last year when anybody did anything truly original. Any music from 1993 onward can be shown to be nothing more than a rehash of something from 1992 back.

But then do we reach an age where almost everything sounds like something else? (And almost everyone looks like someone else?)

I'm not convinced music has gone downhill, but, that as I have got older, with a much wider library of music to draw on, it simply sounds like all the originality has gone.

A lot of modern dance and pop is dreadful but as was ever thus.

Sticking with (modern) dance music specifically, that has seen many "movements" each of which spawned their classics that still hold up well today, and I was very lucky to have seen both the late 80s "rave/acid house" period and the mid 90s "trance" period both of which brought genuinely fresh sounds, the latter often mixing up electronica and classical.

I haven't seen another "movement" like that in dance music yet but one will probably come along.

With the likes of streaming and easy access to music, there are gems there if you can come across them. It isn't just a case of going down the record shop or listening to one of just a few radio stations. On the other hand the easier route to market (?) may mean there's much more sound-alike dross than once there was. Doesn't mean there isn't original stuff, but it's about seeking out new ways of finding and accessing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I agree that as we age, our perception changes. On the other hand though, with a finite number of notes and chords, and with a limited range of sounds that the human ear can enjoy, there must be a concept of music eventually simply "running out".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From last year.

Broken down into sections, I've heard just about everything somewhere before. It sounds remarkably 1970s/1980s at times.

However in totality it's quite unusual (for today) and not necessarily predictable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2017 at 17:44, MrPin said:

I have threee of his albums from the seventies. Good songwriter.

I've just seen Al Sewart live tonight in Dublin, and I met him afterwards, shook his hand and got a couple of things signed.

Pity that I happen to be a fanboy for a 70 year old man but hey once one of these young up and coming ladies starts writing music like Joni or Al I'll start following them too!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.