• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Dubai for a holiday. Why?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

It's far too hot to be a holiday destination. And it's just one big shopping mall.

They have an indoor ski slope with real snow I think. It makes me not care about the small impact I have on the environment. 

Edited by One percent
Fecking crapple once again

Because they read sites like the DM and see all the reality 'stars', soap opera actresses and footballer wives in bikinis on the beach in Dubai and want to aspire to that lifestyle?

Obviously, all the allegations about some of the above being paid handsomely by rich arabs for their company is merely salacious gossip and nothing more than totally false allegations.

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

I wouldn't even do an aeroplane transfer there so I don't get it either. Hotter than hell and run by a bunch of blinged up goat herders.

I've been through the airport on the way back from somewhere. I spent an uncomfortable few hours in a chair, before the next plane.

Just now, MrPin said:

I've been through the airport on the way back from somewhere. I spent an uncomfortable few hours in a chair, before the next plane.

I've read too many horror stories of people being banged up during transfers for being found with, for example, painkillers containing codeine or being blood tested positive for marijuana (I don't smoke the stuff myself but it's so widespread in Toronto that I bet I have it in my system just from passive inhalation) to ever go anywhere near the place. It's just not worth the risk given there are plenty of safe alternatives.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Westerners, mainly Anglo-Saxons, projecting their views on to other nationalities and ethnic races. Large parts of the planet - billions of people - really do not give a feck about the planet and see all its resources there to be exploited.

The people who actually care about Mother Earth are in a minority.

And our beloved leaders who try and guilt trip us into recycling oh and who want to exploit the narrative to gouge all those who drive a car. Feckers. 

2 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I've read too many horror stories of people being banged up during transfers for being found with, for example, painkillers containing codeine or being blood tested positive for marijuana (I don't smoke the stuff myself but it's so widespread in Toronto that I bet I have it in my system just from passive inhalation) to ever go anywhere near the place. It's just not worth the risk given there are plenty of safe alternatives.

I have asthma inhalers  - beleive you can go to jail there for just having them.

10 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I've no fecking clue.

Since the Luxor massacre of 1996 I've had no desire to visit any muslim country.

I confess I never thought muslim terrorism would plague us here back then.

If you're worried about terrorism you're better off in Dubai than any western European city. They don't mess about with potential radicals over there. 

A decade ago when Las Vegas was beginning to go through a dip following the financial crash, quite a few big developments were cancelled or at least put on hold. The chatter amongst the tourism industry was that Las Vegas was going to struggle to match Dubai, especially in appealing to Asian clientele, perhaps their most consistently  lucrative market. 

The reasons were shorter flights, and the everything bigger than everything else shtick, that sucked in investors from all walks of life, the Burj Khalifa, Palm Islands, all seemed so fantastic.

Since then Las Vegas has continued to prosper as a Sin City destination fighting off the threat from Dubai, as visitors realise what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas isn't a cliché, its actually true.

Whereas with Dubai what you do in Dubai can make YOU stay in Dubai - locked up in prison.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

If, on the other hand, you're worried about being randomly arrested for giving the wrong person a funny look and then held in a stinking shit hole of a prison at 120F for months on end waiting for a "trial" whilst being endlessly bum-raped, then go with Dubai.

Some people pay good money for that kind of treatment.

I agree it's a dump, mostly because it's just a consumerist paradise and has no underlying culture apart from that of a few nomadic Arabs, which is crap. 

3 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

A decade ago when Las Vegas was beginning to go through a dip following the financial crash, quite a few big developments were cancelled or at least put on hold. The chatter amongst the tourism industry was that Las Vegas was going to struggle to match Dubai, especially in appealing to Asian clientele, perhaps their most consistently  lucrative market. 

The reasons were shorter flights, and the everything bigger than everything else shtick, that sucked in investors from all walks of life, the Burj Khalifa, Palm Islands, all seemed so fantastic.

Since then Las Vegas has continued to prosper as a Sin City destination fighting off the threat from Dubai, as visitors realise what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas isn't a cliché, its actually true.

Whereas with Dubai what you do in Dubai can make YOU stay in Dubai - locked up in prison.

That plus the rise of Macau.

Horrible soulless, blinged up shopping mall in the desert built on the backs of slave labour. 

I have a mate who goes over there regularly for business, he hates it with the fire of a thousand suns and is convinced the place is genuinely evil and if the gates of hell ever open on earth, Dubai will be it's doormat.

He'd had a few to be fair but he really doesn't like it.

1 minute ago, whitevanman said:

Some people pay good money for that kind of treatment.

I agree it's a dump, mostly because it's just a consumerist paradise and has no underlying culture apart from that of a few nomadic Arabs, which is crap. 

Ha, they could do a special line in holidays for masochists!