DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Creating pdfs using mac

Sasquatch

Question

Sasquatch

Having problems today with the print and save as pdf function. This is when I am converting either an excel or word file into a pdf. We use iMacs and the Mac version of the Microsoft suite. I can create pdfs as normal and they look fine this end but I've sent out a report today and my client and other people copied in can't read it. It's showing as a corrupt file their end. No changes at all to any software so I'm perplexed to be honest and not sure what to do. Any ideas?

6 answers to this question

Snake Plissken

try forwarding it to another pc you can access, failing that your phone to rule out there wasn't a problem with what was sent or at their end. I'd be surprised if something simple like pdfs would be corrupted coming from word.

• Agree 1

Sasquatch

Not managed to sort it out as yet. I ended up re-sending the original word and excel files.

I have parallels desktop so can view the pdfs in a windows environment. All sorts of error messages and blank pages.

One of the recipients gave me a call and said he could view the file with no issues on his iPad but not on his windows based desktop pc. 

I suspect it's therefore something on the windows side rather than necessarily my problem (although of course it is my problem to sort out)

I hate these random IT anomalies. 

I appreciate the Word and Excel formatting might not translate perfectly but a simple check would be to import the documents into Pages and Numbers and export to .pdf from there.

I had similar and entirely random problems with the MS suite on an iMac but exporting via Pages and Numbers worked fine. 

• Informative 1

Sasquatch
2 hours ago, Duck said:

I appreciate the Word and Excel formatting might not translate perfectly but a simple check would be to import the documents into Pages and Numbers and export to .pdf from there.

I had similar and entirely random problems with the MS suite on an iMac but exporting via Pages and Numbers worked fine. 

Thanks. I'll give it go.

The XYY Man

Pdfs are for poofs...!!!

Real men get their secretaries to type documents out on a stencil and make copies on the Roneo-Vickers...!

After work, they should take them out to dinner - and shag them later in a cheap hotel...

article-2199344-14DEC920000005DC-83_634x

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Don Coglione
On 10/02/2022 at 19:01, The XYY Man said:

Pdfs are for poofs...!!!

Real men get their secretaries to type documents out on a stencil and make copies on the Roneo-Vickers...!

After work, they should take them out to dinner - and shag them later in a cheap hotel...

article-2199344-14DEC920000005DC-83_634x

XYY

I keep reading the title of this thread on the home page as "Creating poofs using Mac", then smile at the symmetry of the last contributor being @The XYY Man. Imagine my surprise when finally opening the thread to see the above!

Edited by Don Coglione
  • Lol 1