Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Electric Vehicle Range Extenders


HousePriceMania

Recommended Posts

Appears the first one is an actual battery pack in a trailer. Still needs multiple swaps and recharging to get a long range from it:

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Generation Game
2 minutes ago, Kilham said:

Appears the first one is an actual battery pack in a trailer. Still needs multiple swaps and recharging to get a long range from it:

 

Full zero emission? Well done, making your car from watching Blue Peter and running it on unicorn farts - oops, that's an emission positive thoughts. 

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis

Maybe do like you sometimes see with big RVs: if you have an EV then tow behind you on a trailer a small ICE car.

Then when your EV runs out if electricity simply swap them around.

Or just weld two together.

96e3a4e629e70a778f9ce7b8b610147c--top-ge

 

  • Lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Kilham said:

Appears the first one is an actual battery pack in a trailer. Still needs multiple swaps and recharging to get a long range from it:

 

Why not just make it part of the car?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HousePriceMania
43 minutes ago, Kilham said:

Appears the first one is an actual battery pack in a trailer. Still needs multiple swaps and recharging to get a long range from it:

 

It's a good idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hail the Tripod
29 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Why not just make it part of the car?

Perhaps you only need it a couple of times a year, and the rest of the time it would just be dead weight.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Perhaps you only need it a couple of times a year, and the rest of the time it would just be dead weight.

Batteries hate sitting around unused for 6 months (or probably 11, as it would be a summer thing). If it was a rental option that would work but then a standard removable pack and a network of charging stations with automated swap/charge machines would have been even better.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Axeman123

I think this is an elegant solution. It actually makes more sense to me than the hybrids with two complete drive trains to buy/maintain/haul around everywhere you go.

90% of the time you are doing short trips around town, why not use zero local emission electric. The other 10% of the time on longer journeys you can benefit from the energy density of hydrocarbons, and keep the associated local emissions out of built up areas. It just needs an industry standard for compatibility to emerge, so the trailers can be rented as needed and most users can be rid of the maintenance arse-ache of ICE.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do you think the chances are of there being sufficient co-operation that the manufacturers would be able to meet a standard give the already confusing mess of charging as is.

rapid-charger-infographic-18may16

 

Edited by gilf
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gilf said:

What do you think the chances are of there being sufficient co-operation that the manufacturers would be able to meet a standard give the already confusing mess of charging as is.

rapid-charger-infographic-18may16

 

Just wow! You know that image is 6 years old right? And 90% of all new EVs since 2019 are CCS?  Rapid AC died with the Zoe mk1 , Zoe mk2 is CCS.  Peugeot have been CCS since 2019, Tesla Model 3 launched here in 2019 with CCS and i think all new UK S and X are also CCS now, so the USA legacy Tesla connector is now defunkt in the UK for New Tesla's. All new Hyundai and Kia use CCS, only Nissan Leaf and Lexus use Chademo new now, even the new 2022 Nissan Ariya will be CCS too. 

 

Edited by markyh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, markyh said:

Just wow! You know that image is 6 years old right? And 90% of all new EVs since 2019 are CCS?  Rapid AC died with the Zoe mk1 , Zoe mk2 is CCS.  Peugeot have been CCS since 2019, Tesla Model 3 launched here in 2019 with CCS and i think all new UK S and X are also CCS now, so the USA legacy Tesla connector is now defunkt in the UK for New Tesla's. All new Hyundai and Kia use CCS, only Nissan Leaf and Lexus use Chademo new now, even the new 2022 Nissan Ariya will be CCS too. 

 

What’s just wow.

it totally proves that manufactures are shit at agreeing to standards up front which is the point. 

Your post only serve to highlight the fact it’s taken them 10 years to decide on which plug to put on the end of a cable.


 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, gilf said:

What’s just wow.

it totally proves that manufactures are shit at agreeing to standards up front which is the point. 

Your post only serve to highlight the fact it’s taken them 10 years to decide on which plug to put on the end of a cable.


 

Took the EU many years to agree on the CCS standard in DC leccy.  But since 2019 90% of all new EV's in the UK have come fitted with CCS.  

For 3kw-11kw AC charging Type 2 has been standard since 2015.  Type 1 only lasted 2011-2014. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 11/02/2022 at 12:27, Axeman123 said:

I think this is an elegant solution. It actually makes more sense to me than the hybrids with two complete drive trains to buy/maintain/haul around everywhere you go.

90% of the time you are doing short trips around town, why not use zero local emission electric. The other 10% of the time on longer journeys you can benefit from the energy density of hydrocarbons, and keep the associated local emissions out of built up areas. It just needs an industry standard for compatibility to emerge, so the trailers can be rented as needed and most users can be rid of the maintenance arse-ache of ICE.

No need for all of that, too complicated. Just change the laws and make them similar to those in canton Geneva so it's easier to have 2 cars. For those with a house and space to keep an old reliable ICE car, it's perfect - see below. However you won't see many people doing this, because if you have the money for a house, driveway and charging point here, you don't need to scrimp on cars!

You can share the numberplates (which belong to a person not a car) between cars, so you can park an old ICE car in your drive with no plates on, most of the time it will sit there doing nothing, while you drive a small EV around town and the local area. When you need to go further, you switch the plates, it takes about 30 seconds, and the EV stays at home. You pay one insurance (for whichever car is more powerful) and one tax (for whichever car is more powerful) and of course you wouldn't need to service the ICE car very often if it  did very few miles. 

 

 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...