DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

giving up bread?

nirvana

what did you replace it with?

I do like my daily baguette but I'm convinced it's just something else i should give up.....I could easily live with rice n pasta

• Informative 1

We stopped at the start of the year to lower carbs, etc.  Don't miss it.  Feel better and we used to bake ourselves!  Miss pasta but we buy alts made of soya, beans, etc.  We bake with coconut flour and will try almond.  Mainly cakes but also burger baps and rolls.  Takes practice.  Oatcakes are a bit of an alternative.  Nothing directly for a baguette which is a real carbofest. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Harley said:

we buy alts made of soya, beans, etc

do you end up having a farting competition though?

oatcakes are interesting, what do you eat them with? any quick n easy recipes?

and the coconut flour, that's a new one on pleb me, what do you make with that?

cheers and good health squire!

Edited by nirvana

9 hours ago, nirvana said:

do you end up having a farting competition though?

oatcakes are interesting, what do you eat them with? any quick n easy recipes?

and the coconut flour, that's a new one on pleb me, what do you make with that?

cheers and good health squire!

Farts if you use xantham gum as a binder!  Oatcakes like crackers.  Coconut or almond flour are the main ones.  Low carb and no gluten.  Cakes and burger baps.  Takes practice.  On web.  

Edited by Harley
  • Cheers 1

I did this years ago before it was all the rage. Was actually incredibly easy. 

Only time I miss it is cheese on toast. Aside from that it's just a filler. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ccc said:

Cheese on pittas, crumpets, naan. Bread still ain't needed...

• Cheers 1

Cat JonJon

I'd like to reduce my intake of wheat. The problem I have is that most convenience foods seem to contain wheat (e.g. bread, pasta, biscuits, cakes).

I think rice is easier on my guts than bread and pasta, but whereas a lot of supermarkets sell sandwiches and pasta salads, I've not seen much in the way of rice salads. They usually have some sushi but I find that it is usually small portions with hardly any veg/salad and is quite expensive.

One snack I sometimes have at home is 2 or 3 rice cakes with peanut butter on them.

haroldshand
On 12/02/2022 at 13:05, nirvana said:

I do like my daily baguette but I'm convinced it's just something else i should give up.....I could easily live with rice n pasta

it's fecking hard to do man and don't believe any of that keto replacement bollox as it all taste like shit, trust me I have tried them all 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
swiss_democracy_for_all
On 12/02/2022 at 14:05, nirvana said:

You could get the Migros quinoa bread from Switzerland, haven’t seen a French equivalent yet. It’s pretty good, but a very Swiss price - 4.95 chf for a small loaf. 

It might be possible to buy a bread maker and make your own quinoa bread more cheaply. Probably an ambition you’re more likely to achieve than building a plane! :)

5 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

You could get the Migros quinoa bread

what gives what that rye bread stuff? Aka pain de seigle.....I noticed they sell it in dense long lasting chunks in Aldi every now and again........it'll be ideal when I get my plane going and I can drop it on some annoying FAT cunts heads? :)

Edited by nirvana

5 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

4.95 chf for a small loaf

christ that can be my weakly budget......if I have a good bin scrounging session, never let good food go to waste, there are millions starving in Africa after all, so that fat cunts can make a living selling youtube dreams :P

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 27/02/2022 at 07:14, nirvana said:

what gives what that rye bread stuff? Aka pain de seigle.....I noticed they sell it in dense long lasting chunks in Aldi every now and again........it'll be ideal when I get my plane going and I can drop it on some annoying FAT cunts heads? :)

No, it's not heavy, it's pretty good, about the only decent gluten-free bread I've found. Very pricey though, fortunately it lasts me about a week and keeps reasonably well.

https://shop.migros.ch/en/direct/product/4288692

image.png.d0aff31eb60aad5acb8474a61233ee28.png

• Informative 1

Bear Hug
On 12/02/2022 at 13:05, nirvana said:

Replaced bread with cheese. Don't miss it. 

• Cheers 3

manservantjerkins

scrambled eggs, on a bed of microwaved frozen peas with hot sauce for breakfast.

COR

I found it much easier to eat the supposed amount of fruit/veg when I had cut out most beige carbs. Agree with @Cat JonJon above about rice being easier on my guts

I remember having heartburn more frequently - I never really got it before

• Cheers 2

Roger_Mellie

Don't replace it with anything. Still pretty much total keto here. 

Have the odd piece of bread or few chios if I'm eating out, but that's it. 

• Cheers 1

Oatcakes [like the pancake above], oatcakes [like crackers], and banana/egg/oats [like a thick pattie i.e 5mm x 120mmdia]. Tried making bread {and anything else} with coconut flour and it was a disaster...I am a good baker; I could a) never get it to rise properly, and b) it never seemed to bid together well whatever I used.

• Cheers 1

sarahbell
On 12/02/2022 at 23:03, ccc said:

Bread is a carrier for other calories. 

• 2 weeks later...
nirvana
Posted (edited)
On 13/03/2022 at 22:27, MrXxxx said:

banana/egg/oats [like a thick pattie i.e 5mm x 120mmdia].

that one's interesting, mix it up in a bowl then cook it in a frying pan? any flavourings?

Edited by nirvana

nirvana

v.interesting video thanks to @BoSonhighlighting the problems with wheat 'farming' and glyphosate 'shite'

reminder for me to ditch the baguettes hence renewed interest here

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, nirvana said:

that one's interesting, mix it up in a bowl then cook it in a frying pan? any flavourings?

I usually soak the oats in milk the night before; you can use water if non-dairy. You can also add some vanilla essence and/or desiccated coconut if you like; I do as I have a 'sweet tooth'/palate [but gave up sugar] and these two ingredients give it the sweetness I desire.

I put a small piece of coconut oil in frying pan; just enough to prevent sticking, and then put about a dessert spoon blob and flatten to about 5mm thickness, this gives me pancakes about the diameter of a burger. Have them with some diced kiwi fruit and Greek yogurt 'on the side' and you have a perfect combination i.e. simple quick release carbs with essential nutrients such as VitC/Potassium/Magnesium [banana, kiwi], slow release carbs [oats/coconut], protein [eggs], healthy fats [coconut oil, yogurt]...the latter also slows down the carbs absorption so you get less of an insulin spike/lowers glycemic load of other ingredients; you can also do this by replacing the kiwi/yogurt with peanut butter.

Enjoy!

Edited by MrXxxx
  • Love 1

nirvana
7 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

I usually soak the oats in milk the night before

are they just flaked oats then? like for porridge?

2 minutes ago, nirvana said:

are they just flaked oats then? like for porridge?

Yes, the cheap/standard rolled oats...if you don't like the texture you could always use oatmeal or make it yourself by 'blitzing' the oats in a blender. I like the big/thick oats in porridge but I don't think they would work so well in this instance as the patties may break more easily....if this post sounds a bit obsessive its because I am currently doing  my weekend fast and have just done a fasted run....I didn't feel hungry until I replied to your post, and now I am bloody ravenous! :-)))...I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow morning!

NOTE: You can also put in a bit of raising agent [Baking powder, Cream of Tartar, Bicarbonate of Soda] if you want to make them a little lighter, also good to increase your daily Potassium if you use CoT.

• Cheers 1