• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UmBongo

1990s music

On 18/11/2018 at 20:14, MvR said:

A mate and I pretended to be Italian to make this... partly because pretending it was an import added about £1.50 to the trade price.B| :D

That must have been fun :)

Your record is one of the most valuable 12" singles I've seen.

Discogs link

I confess I didn't actually buy it - I hadn't heard it.. would be quite impressive if I'd had a copy :)

13 hours ago, DTMark said:

That must have been fun :)

Your record is one of the most valuable 12" singles I've seen.

Discogs link

I confess I didn't actually buy it - I hadn't heard it.. would be quite impressive if I'd had a copy :)

It certainly was fun.. a valuable way to spend a year out before uni, and it gave me a huge personal confidence boost at a time I really needed it.  It was great experience too, learning about making deals, business and media production.

I'm not too surprised you didn't know it. It became a bit of an anthem on the northern scene, but never really made it in the south where they went for a different sound. We sold about 7000 copies, which wasn't all that many back in those days, which has contributed to it's current value I think. 

I'm not wading back through 7 pages, so I'm just going to take a punt that no one has yet posted the greatest British indie tune of the 90s. Proper indie, not 4 morose blokes playing guitars and signed to Sony indie.

Ladies and gents, the majestic Daisy Chainsaw (do I get a bonus for the live Word version?):

Edited by Roger_Mellie

I have just listened to Reef's 1997 album 'Glow', which still sounds good. You may remember their big commercial hit from the album called 'Place Your Hands'. I won't paste that one. Some gems on the album include 'Summers in Bloom' 'Robot Riff' and 'Consideration'.

5 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I have just listened to Reef's 1997 album 'Glow', which still sounds good. You may remember their big commercial hit from the album called 'Place Your Hands'. I won't paste that one. Some gems on the album include 'Summers in Bloom' 'Robot Riff' and 'Consideration'.

Aaah... Reef. I once saw them live opening for Paul Weller at the GMex in 1994. We'd thought we'd never heard of them then they played a song and my mate goes "I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before", then we remembered it was the song off the minidisc advert where the Sony exec throws a minidisc labelled 'Reef Demo' out of the window.

Now that's a slice of 90s right there :)

Edited by Roger_Mellie

5 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

We'd thought we'd never heard of them then they played a song and my mate goes "I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before", then we remembered it was the song off the minidisc advert where the Sony exec throws a minidisc labelled 'Reef Demo' out of the window.

I remember the advert! :)

On 18/01/2019 at 20:52, UmBongo said:

Great tune, cheers