DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Testosterone

Bricormortis

Bricormortis

I have been reading up on testosterone levels and whether it is possible to affect them by tweaking diet and taking supplements.  Seems a 20% increase is well possible using different food choices. I wouldn't be messing with injections or gels though, too many risks as evidenced by some of the anecdotals I have read which were shocking. The links I have provided are much more informative than my own ramblings herein. I do recommend a read.

Turns out vegetarians have 10 % lower testosterone, and the Bob Hope generation had 30 % more than Joe Average today. Chemical pollutants may be responsible for this including toileteries which it turns out are full of xenoestrogens.  If you ingest a chemical it gets processed by your liver. If you put it on your skin and it gets absorbed by tissue the liver cant filter it.  Levels affect mood and also body shape. ( insert purile joke here ) 

also so much food contains soy ( estrogen source ) now. I did a bit of research to find wholemeal sliced bread that contains no soy . Only Aldi and Tesco own make, can provide, looks like every other major brand contains soy.

Also the whey proteins marketed at body builders need checking to see what they are sweetened with, if its Stevia well that reduces testosterone apparently, if its sucralose well that is negative for your micro biome, best bet then is natural unsweetened and maybe cassein, not whey. Do your own reasearch of course.

The first link is a good read about foods that increase testosterone 

The second link is from within that article foods high in estrogen

I reckon some of you will be pretty knowledgable about this topic so lets pool knowledge here.

Edited by Bricormortis
Relevant info added .
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

The best "supplements" for me are red meat, eggs, and 5-10g salt the evening before. The first two are certainly good for T levels, the latter to get additional water and nutrients into muscles via high blood pressure.

Then an hour before training I have a strong coffee with 1.5 tablespoons granules. However this does have to be sweetened as otherwise it's revolting...

• Informative 1

Bricormortis
1 hour ago, Stuey said:

The best "supplements" for me are red meat, eggs, and 5-10g salt the evening before. The first two are certainly good for T levels, the latter to get additional water and nutrients into muscles via high blood pressure.

Then an hour before training I have a strong coffee with 1.5 tablespoons granules. However this does have to be sweetened as otherwise it's revolting...

And the salt will neutralise cortisol's ability to negate testosterone.

Bricormortis
1 hour ago, Calcutta said:

DAA suppliments seem to have helped me. Possibly a placebo effeft or I've just gone a bit nuts.... 

DAA info.

WHAT ARE THE D-ASPARTIC ACID BENEFITS?

Increased testosterone levels triggered by d-aspartic acid benefit sexual performance and muscle growth. Being a male sex hormone testosterone enhances libido and erection quality, intensifies perceived orgasm and extends duration of intercourse. Testosterone makes your energy level rise, low T is responsible for depressions and lowered life satisfaction. By elevating testosterone level, d-aspartic acid makes your workouts more effective and helps you build muscle.

Stimulation with d-aspartic acid increases cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) in the receiving nerves. cAMP is a cell-regulating compound, probably the most important one. It plays an important role in the cellular reaction on hormones.
Which benefits does increased cAMP have for your body? Among others reactions it increases the force of contraction of the heart muscle, helps the arteries and other smooth muscles to relax, increases the secretion of insulin and increased lipolysis (fat destruction). In other words increased cAMP makes your workouts easier and helps you to burn fat.

D-Aspartic acid has been suggested to help promote normal GABA levels, and dopamine levels, acting anti-depressant. Another benefit of d-aspartic acid is its ability to increase nitric oxide (NO2, NO3) production and its blood level, promoting fast recovery after workouts.

HAS D-ASPARTIC ACID BEEN TESTED?

D-Aspartic Acid started gaining popularity after the publication of an Italian lab study by D’Aniello. The study has been conducted on human volunteers and on rats. 23 men between 27 and 37 have taken a DAA supplement for 12 days. The testosterone and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels have been significantly increased in comparison with a control group who took placebo (a solution of salt). The increase of LH was 33%, the increase of testosterone – a whooping 42% in only 12 days! Similar results have been observed with rats. An elevated level of testosterone in blood remained even three days after suspension of the treatment, probably due to the concentration of d-aspartic acid trapped in tissues. It is noteworthy that this clinical research has been conducted on healthy men with normal testosterone levels, not hypogonadal men.

WHAT FOODS ARE HIGH IN D-ASPARTIC ACID?

As mentioned before there are two forms of aspartic acid, L-Aspartic acid and D-Aspartic acid. Only L-Aspartic acid, a non-essential amino acid, is incorporated into proteins. D-Aspartic acid plays an entirely different role, it is used for signaling mostly in the reproductive system and in the nervous tissue (e.g. brain). Chemically synthesized aspartic acid is a mixture of L-Aspartic acid and D-Aspartic acid, called racemate. However, aspartic acid synthesized enzymatically, i.e. by a living organism, is either the L- or D- kind but not both.

Some reputable sources on the internet seem to mix them up. A livestrong.com article gets it totally wrong: “One amino acid, called D-aspartic acid — more commonly called aspartic acid […]”. Well, not really.

Why is the difference important? If you hope to naturally supplement d-aspartic acid by eating e.g. meat or poultry, because they are full of amino acids, you’re going to get a whole lot of l-aspartic acid. L-Aspartic, not D-aspartic acid. A 2000 Study by D’Aniello and others researched the concentration of d-aspartic acid in various mammalian tissues. The subject of the study were rats, however we can fairly assume that the results are valid for all mammals. The concentrations were:

• Hind leg – 3 nmol/g tissue
  • Kidney – 8 nmol/g tissue
  • Liver – 7 nmol/g tissue
  • Brain – 15-53 nmol/g tissue
  • Testes – 90 nmol/g tissue

For comparison the L-Aspartic acid concentration in legs of rats is on average 713-938 nmol/g tissue (source). 300x more!

So where can you find natural d-aspartic acid? According to this 1987 Study  d-aspartic acid can be found in the muscle tissue of a clam Scapharca broughtonii. It looks like oysters are really an aphrodisiac after all. If you don’t like oysters – just get a supplement.

WHO SHOULD TAKE DAA?

The short answer is ‘non-athletes and men with low testosterone’.

The research body at the time of the study was limited and d-aspartic acid seemed to be the cheapest and best testosterone booster ever. Since the research had been conducted, the scientific and bodybuilding communities have learned many new facts about DAA. The compound is researched a way better than it was a few years ago:

• too much of DAA seems to decrease the free testosterone levels:
    One study involving young resistance trained men taking 6g of DAA a day resulted in significantly decreased in total and free testosterone. Athletes taking only 3g DAA a day didn’t experience any change in the gonadal hormones.
  • healthy athletes seem not to benefit from DAA supplementation.
    A previously mentioned research in which athletes performing heavy resistance training took 3g DAA a day has shown no change of gonadal hormones. Another study using NMDA (N-Methyl-D-Aspartic Acid) on a similar test group (also young active athletes) also couldn’t confirm any positive effects on testosterone levels.
  • infertile (or sub-fertile) men with low testosterone levels seem to benefit the most from DAA supplementation. A numerous studies confirm this.
  • the above mentioned D’Aniello study indicates that d-aspartic acid supplemented to non-athletes induces an increased release of testosterone and luteinizing hormone.

IS D-ASPARTIC ACID ANY GOOD FOR BODYBUILDING?

The short answer based on the research up till now is ‘no’.

There is a noticeable correlation between the testosterone levels before the DAA supplementation and the results of the supplementation. The worse off in terms of hormonal health were the studied individuals to begin with, the more they have gained from taking DAA. It seems that there is a negative feedback in the body, via the degradative enzyme, d-aspartate oxidase (link):

• Athletes who have had higher levels of testosterone than average Joes didn’t benefit from the DAA supplementation, some have even suffered lower testosterone levels.
  • Healthy average men have gained a little. Short term usage of DAA seems to raise testosterone, prolonged usage doesn’t bring a significant change.
  • Men with testosterone and fertility problems have benefited a lot.

D-Aspartic Acid on Amazon

A word of caution for the ladies – the research has been performed only on men. Another study gives clues how a supplementation of d-aspartic acid works on females – it increased the levels of estrogens. Probably DAA supplements should not be taken by women. However the study mentioned involved only animals (lizards), so the results should be taken with a pinch of salt.

WHAT IS THE D-ASPARTIC ACID DOSAGE?

The DAA dosage used in the famous D’Aniello study was 3 gram taken in the morning for 14 days.

As with all testosterone boosters I would suggest you to cycle it to avoid building up a tolerance. Allmax, a manufacturer of the d-aspartic acid supplement, suggests a cycle 2 weeks on and 1 week off the supplement. A 2017 study shows that prolonged supplementation of DAA doesn’t increase testosterone.
(Read more about DAA Dosage here.)

•  

• Informative 1

reformed nice guy

I think, like many things, it comes down to an overall healthy lifestyle.

Eating healthy food thats not shite, healthy body weight, doing both cardio and some resistance exercise (not necessarily weights) should be the first step.

Second step adding in some basic supplements like a multivit, maybe higher doses of vitamin D & C, that sort of thing.

After you have done the basics you can then start on the more exotic things. Maybe taking a particular testosterone boosting supplement could cancel out the negatives of being a fat bastard or not having time to do exercise/eat properly, I dont know, but if you could instead address the basics then it would give 101 extra benefits too.

• Agree 2

Bricormortis

6 minutes ago, Errol said:

Zinc and magnesium. Plus D.

Also loading up on brocolli, sprouts , greens, celery, cabbage, these help neutralise estrogen, also nuts, pomegranite and beetroot. and chloesterol rich foods, as per the link in the first post. But yeah, zinc especially, and zinc deficiency is common. 

For years now I have supplemented with fenugreek seed extract and sometimes a couple of others such as "tongkat ali" and "ashwaganda." The fenugreek extract is actually patented as "Testofen" which you can buy from supplement shops but it is expensive. I buy any of these by the kilo from China.

Lots of studies in readable format about testosterone, and everything else, at https://www.ergo-log.net/

• Informative 2

Bricormortis
2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

For years now I have supplemented with fenugreek seed extract and sometimes a couple of others such as "tongkat ali" and "ashwaganda." The fenugreek extract is actually patented as "Testofen" which you can buy from supplement shops but it is expensive. I buy any of these by the kilo from China.

Lots of studies in readable format about testosterone, and everything else, at https://www.ergo-log.net/

I have tried taking culinary fenugreek and it left my armpits smelling of curry, I am wondering if you noticed similar with the seed extract ? I tried ashwaganda in isolation of anything else, also testes tribulus and felt neither achieved anything over a month, maybe a month is not long enough though. My current experiments are food based and workouts in the gym, with L - argenine and grape seed extract and macca and zinc and magnesium.

Thats a useful link for bulk purchases btw, thanks.

Edited by Bricormortis
Relevant info added

59 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

I have tried taking culinary fenugreek and it left my armpits smelling of curry, I am wondering if you noticed similar with the seed extract ? I tried ashwaganda in isolation of anything else, also testes tribulus and felt neither achieved anything over a month, maybe a month is not long enough though. My current experiments are food based and workouts in the gym, with L - argenine and grape seed extract and macca and zinc and magnesium.

Thats a useful link for bulk purchases btw, thanks.

It could well be person-specific. I am 65 so although I have never measured my natural testosterone it must surely be low-ish. I remember growing some fenugreek once and seeing the odd little seeds, and as you say the culinary stuff can make your sweat smell funny. The 30:1 extraction process is quite complex though and maybe removes whatever causes that. Although the powder is pungent when sniffing the bag I don't notice any other after-effects. Very strong taste though and I do have to encapsulate it. 

I would say a month is long enough but the effects are quite easy to overlook; it just makes me feel more normal. I notice the effects when I stop eating it, for example if I run out because I have not got around to doing the rather tedious capsule process. I start feeling meh and no energy.

There was no ashwagandha available on my last China re-up so currently I am doing fenugreek + tongkat ali only, seems to be alright.

I like the zinc and magnesium + B6 especially the enhanced sleep. I don't think it is the "ZMA miracle cure" originally touted though (something was going on there.)

• Informative 1

I eat everything (and I mean everything) with impunity, bar anything with sugar.

That doesn't mean my diet is not weighted towards healthy, unprocessed food rather than junk but I have at least one cheat day per week.

One multivit tablet per day and 30g of protein with my (at least) 3 pint sized milcafes (yes I drink a lot of coffee, I know) and I am roaring at the gym.

45yo, did x10 @ 85Kg bench press last week (correct form, no half rep nonsense, calculated 1RM ~110Kg) and can leg press x10 @ 350Kg FRM without breaking a sweat (calculated 1RM ~466Kg). I can (and have) leg pressed (much) higher but my knee joints flare up and it is not worth the bragging rights.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Bricormortis
On 22/02/2022 at 11:26, t_v 🏅 said:

I eat everything (and I mean everything) with impunity, bar anything with sugar.

That doesn't mean my diet is not weighted towards healthy, unprocessed food rather than junk but I have at least one cheat day per week.

One multivit tablet per day and 30g of protein with my (at least) 3 pint sized milcafes (yes I drink a lot of coffee, I know) and I am roaring at the gym.

45yo, did x10 @ 85Kg bench press last week (correct form, no half rep nonsense, calculated 1RM ~110Kg) and can leg press x10 @ 350Kg FRM without breaking a sweat (calculated 1RM ~466Kg). I can (and have) leg pressed (much) higher but my knee joints flare up and it is not worth the bragging rights.

45 you have still got your strength at that age. I am 65. I have recently started supplementing with cassein and whey powder which will probably pay off. 

It does amaze me what weights people can work with. And my knee has gone a bit bad so I am icing it after workouts which calms it down but does not fix the underlying.

• 2 months later...
Hail the Tripod

A man who is a bit of a lefty is really just deficient in testosterone.xD

Trust the science…

https://www.openicpsr.org/openicpsr/project/155441/version/V1/view;jsessionid=BE51AFBF6EB4DFF1254C044236ADB809

Summary:  View help for Summary We tested the fixity of political preferences of 136 healthy males during the 2011 U.S. presidential election season by administering synthetic testosterone or placebo to participants who had identified the strength of their political affiliation. Before the testosterone treatment, we found that weakly affiliated Democrats had 19% higher basal testosterone than those who identified strongly with the party (p=0.015). When weakly affiliated Democrats received additional testosterone, the strength of their party fell by 12% (p=.01) and they reported 45% warmer feelings towards Republican candidates for president (p < 0.001).  Our results demonstrate that testosterone induces a “red shift" among weakly-affiliated Democrats.  This effect was associated with improved mood.  No effects were found of testosterone administration for strongly affiliated Democrats or strong or weak Republicans.  Our findings provide evidence that neuroact

• Lol 1

Bear Hug
2 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

A man who is a bit of a lefty is really just deficient in testosterone.xD

Trust the science…

https://www.openicpsr.org/openicpsr/project/155441/version/V1/view;jsessionid=BE51AFBF6EB4DFF1254C044236ADB809

That's very interesting. All the shitty food, lifestyle and chemicals are starting to make sense

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

That's very interesting. All the shitty food, lifestyle and chemicals are starting to make sense

Red meat every day for the vitamin T !