• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Earliest memory of a holiday

We went to a cottage in Wales when I was 3. I remember the windowsills being red tiles and big enough to sit on - low enough for me anyway - and walking up a track with my dad to the top of the hill from which we would see Cardigan bay. The sea was so sparkling.

Went to a department store in Croydon for the day just before Christmas. Saw a creepy man with a false beard, in a red outfit. Came home with a set of coloured pencils.

I remember sitting on my grandad's knee at about 3/4 in the passenger seat of a car (common practise way back then). Going up a bank, a very steep bank.  The idiot tourist could not tow his caravan up said bank and so thought it a good idea to unhitch the thing. I can still remember the little girl in the back of the caravan screaming as it hurtled down the hill into us. 

It was in my home town but involved idiot tourist. Does it count?  o.O

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Went to a department store in Croydon for the day just before Christmas. Saw a creepy man with a false beard, in a red outfit. Came home with a set of coloured pencils.

Did you book that with Lunn Poly?

Just now, One percent said:

I remember sitting on my grandad's knee at about 3/4 in the passenger seat of a car (common practise way back then). Going up a bank, a very steep bank.  The idiot tourist could not tow his caravan up said bank and so thought it a good idea to unhitch the thing. I can still remember the little girl in the back of the caravan screaming as it hurtled down the hill into us. 

My Grandad had a horse and cart. Used to take him to the next village for the farrier, which was handily next to the pub. After a few pints and new shoes, the horse was given a bowl of beer, and then they would go home.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

My Grandad had a horse and cart. Used to take him to the next village for the farrier, which was handily next to the pub. After a few pints and new shoes, the horse was given a bowl of beer, and then they would go home.

My great uncle was the farrier. In robin hoods bay I think. o.O

Just now, One percent said:

My great uncle was the farrier. In robin hoods bay I think. o.O

It was quite a big horse, but I don't think he went far from Surrey.

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

Shit, that wasn't Sutton Bank was it?!

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ruswarp bank. Steeper but not as long thank god. 

Ah, Whitby, should have guessed. I think I may have cycled up and down that on a cycle ride from my home village on the other side of the Moors once a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Ah, Whitby, should have guessed. I think I may have cycled up and down that on a cycle ride from my home village on the other side of the Moors once a long time ago.

Ooooh. Which side of the moors, which village?  You just have to say now. :)  

Blackpool I think. The creepy laughing clown animatronic thing in the entrance area to the Pleasure Beach and the smell of those cardboard waffles with fake strawberry jam they used to sell.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ooooh. Which side of the moors, which village?  You just have to say now. :)  

West side. I don't want to be too specific but the nearest big places were Thirsk and Easingwold.

Edited by TheBlueCat
clown, not policeman!

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Blackpool I think. The creepy laughing policeman animatronic thing in the entrance area to the Pleasure Beach and the smell of those cardboard waffles with fake strawberry jam they used to sell.

West side. I don't want to be too specific but the nearest big places were Thirsk and Easingwold.

Scabbie!  xD

we are near neighbours. There are a few of us on here bluey. :)

apparently, we are going for an independent Yorkshire.  We need to kick out anyone who is not though. B|

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Scabbie!  xD

we are near neighbours. There are a few of us on here bluey. :)

apparently, we are going for an independent Yorkshire.  We need to kick out anyone who is not though. B|

If Catalonia can do it, I don't see why God's own county can't!

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

If Catalonia can do it, I don't see why God's own county can't!

Here you go.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/864043/yorkshire-independence-autonomy-mayor-cabinet-yorkshire-party

mind, it's not true independence, it's installing a mayor . If Andy fucking Burnham applies, I'm doing a Las Vegas on him. 

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

For your information, my local road is in Somerset, but one you pass the gate posts it is Yorkshire.

Yorkshire is a bigger county than you think.  

2 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Blackpool I think. The creepy laughing policeman animatronic thing in the entrance area to the Pleasure Beach and the smell of those cardboard waffles with fake strawberry jam they used to sell.

+1

59 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Harvey Wienstien?

Did you swallow?

42 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Blackpool I think. The creepy laughing clown animatronic thing in the entrance area to the Pleasure Beach and the smell of those cardboard waffles with fake strawberry jam they used to sell.

Ooh get to look at the fast trains go by. And be near thirsk for a fast train.

My earliest memories of holiday are a farm somewhere in France where we had hired a cottage, I was 3-4 years old. When we arrived at the farm there was a dead cow that had snuffed it in childbirth with its eyes open an tounge hanging out. It had the dead calf sticking half out. Myself and sister freaked out and the farmer laughed at the comedy of two toddlers trying to revive the calf.

My only other memory the rest of the holiday was getting repeated electric shocks as the farmer had electrified every fence in the place.

I still hate the French.

Went to Australia when I was 4 in the early 70’s

flew on a 747, came back by ship to US west coast and through the Panama Canal and back to Southampton 

while in Oz we went to see a dolphin show 

My only memory of the 10 week trip was that the chips at the show came with salt on them 

My mum was on a health food fad at the time and wouldn’t let us have salt on food 

Edited by Malthus