DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Is this due to Brexit?

humdrum

I have just been in Homebase and they are selling Rocket (first earlies) seed potatoes at £2.75!

That is 55p a bloody spud!

I don't mind Boris getting ratarsed at the Christmas party. That is the way God meant things to be. But when it comes to important matters, things are clearly getting out of hand.

One percent
1 minute ago, humdrum said:

I have just been in Homebase and they are selling Rocket (first earlies) seed potatoes at £2.75!

I don't mind Boris getting ratarsed at the Christmas party. That is the way God meant things to be. But when it comes to important matters, things are clearly getting out of hand.

How much would you expect them to be?  Genuine question. 

Jonty Willis the Third
32 minutes ago, humdrum said:

When did Homebase start selling potatoes?

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

How much would you expect them to be?  Genuine question. 

The allotment shop sells them for £2.60 for 2.5kg, which works out at about 11p a spud. Actually, a certain amount of slippage is expected as the helpers usually treat themselves to a bag or two, which means that the price should be closer to 10p per potato.

I can't really complain.When potatoes force their way to the surface and turn green because I can't be bothered to earth them up, I usually put them to one side to use as next year's seed. But last year I ate them.

And I can't really complain about Homebase either, because I only go in there to see what is available and then buy it online. Pretty much like everyone else. No wonder Hilco is dying on its feet.

:PissedOff:

• Informative 1

14 minutes ago, Jonty Willis the Third said:

Well it ain't is it? Not at 55p a spud. I could buy a chip shop for that.

But Homebase does have a gardening section, although it clearly has no idea of the pathological frugality of the average gardener.

sarahbell
On 18/02/2022 at 21:37, humdrum said:

Skea seed potatoes should have loads.
Oh they do. An arm and a leg. 
£shops have some, and wilko.
image.png.a985c3b49c1eaba4854a97f3655e6426.png

Edited by sarahbell
  • Informative 1

Bornagain

Got mine from Wilkos.

2 Kg for £2.50

• Informative 1

13 hours ago, Bornagain said:

Got mine from Wilkos.

2 Kg for £2.50

About 12p a spud. Not so much reasonable as cheap. Many thanks.  I will give Wilkos a shot

Edited by humdrum

As per the other thread, can't you just buy some small potatoes from the supermarket and plant them - I don't think there is anything special about seed potatoes except that they're quite small/young?

In fact I have heard even if they are big supermarket ones, you can cut them up, as long as each section has an 'eye'. Could be wrong though.

• Agree 1

On 18/02/2022 at 22:10, Jonty Willis the Third said:

They usually have a garden centre. With seeds, gnomes, etc.

belfastchild
20 hours ago, spunko said:

As per the other thread, can't you just buy some small potatoes from the supermarket and plant them - I don't think there is anything special about seed potatoes except that they're quite small/young?

In fact I have heard even if they are big supermarket ones, you can cut them up, as long as each section has an 'eye'. Could be wrong though.

Have spuds in the ground in 4 raised beds at the minute, all started from spuds that had sprouted in the shed from a sack I bought 2 years ago.
Last years crop was all from sprouted supermarket potatoes. Even one of the plants went to seed so this year will have my own variety!

• Informative 1

On 18/02/2022 at 22:37, humdrum said:

But when it comes to important matters, things are clearly getting out of hand.

things got out of hand in 1066 when they nicked all the land and changed the tax laws

But I guess this is what happens when you let it go on for nearly 1000 years, let the CBs print to infinity, talk shite to your mates all day long on yer iphone cos the Thatcherites stole all the houses and the best pensions :Old:

PS you can grow yer own spuds with just a 'little bit o land' but the rentier/tory/capitalist/Britsh establishment scum don't want you to do that now, do they?

Edited by nirvana

On 22/02/2022 at 13:02, spunko said:

I think that you are right. In fact I had a Swiss friend who was pathologically frugal and who cut the eyes out the spuds thrown away by her greengrocer because they had shriveled up, planted what I suppose should be called the seedlets and ate what was left. She was nuts about composting, rarely washed, was a generally disgusting human being and as said, a really good friend.

Anyway, whatever the cost, gardening is worth it. :)

18 hours ago, nirvana said:

things got out of hand in 1066 when they nicked all the land and changed the tax laws

But I guess this is what happens when you let it go on for nearly 1000 years, let the CBs print to infinity, talk shite to your mates all day long on yer iphone cos the Thatcherites stole all the houses and the best pensions :Old:

PS you can grow yer own spuds with just a 'little bit o land' but the rentier/tory/capitalist/Britsh establishment scum don't want you to do that now, do they?

Are you sure?

I thought that in 1066 most of England was owned by the Earls Morcar,  Ēadwine and Harold (later king) and that later on William I broke these holdings up into 200 smaller ones, which reduced the power of the Barons. And then came Magna Carta which decreed than no man could be taken or otherwise destroyed save by the judgement of his peers. Then Simon de Montfort said Arrête ça, gotta keep old kingy's hand out of our pockets and came up with the idea of a parliament to stop the monarch levying taxes without asking his subjects' permission.

And all the rest.

I rather thought that one way and another things were getting better all the time. Although you are right about iphones. I just use a £10 drug dealer thing from Argos.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, nirvana said:

This bloke is worth watching. I am not sure about the no watering bit. He lives in Wales where if it isn't raining it is usually about to, but the rest of his stuff is really useful

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, humdrum said:

Are you sure?

well we can never be sure can we, cos as Napoleon said 'history is a set of lies agreed upon' O.o

What I was sure of (but feel free to correct me) was that there used to be a system of 'Land Tax' but after the takeover they changed that to a system of 'tax the pleb fukkers instead'........that system is unfair and favours the rich ie The Duke of Westminster is so rich and the Queen etc cos their ancestors stole all the land from us plebs and eventually introduced a FIAT money system which is unjust too. Logically and morally taxation is robbery when THEY can print an unlimited amount of money, yah?