DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bath panels

Libspero

Question

One of my jobs this half term is to try to replace some rotten path panels:

C360439-D-B453-4-FA9-A3-A7-92942-ACAA472

It seems almost impossible to find anything similar..  I’m wondering if people just use wardrobe doors and cut them to size?!

Does anyone know where I can get a similar wood panel?  It doesn’t have to be the same,  but panels sold as bath panels are mostly plastic and the wrong size,  regular doors are too thick (existing panel is 20mm deep),  and wardrobe doors are hard to find on their own.   Closest I found was an IKEA one:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bergsbo-door-with-hinges-white-stained-oak-effect-s59332149/

Which looks like it would be perfect, except it isn’t real wood and I’m not sure how nearly it will cut to size.

Has anyone else had this problem?  What did you do and where did you go?

Any ideas appreciated.. it’s so simple it should be easy yet it’s driving me up the wall :PissedOff:

Edited by Libspero

5 answers to this question

Bobthebuilder

I would use some laminate or engineered flooring to match the existing wooden floor. It would look really nice and pretty straight forward to cut to size and fit.

46 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I would use some laminate or engineered flooring to match the existing wooden floor. It would look really nice and pretty straight forward to cut to size and fit.

Thanks BTB.

The floor is actually vinyl (was carpeted when we moved in but wanted to make it “kid proof”).

I hadn’t thought of using a flooring material..  would you mount direct or onto Ply/MDF ?   Not quite sure how you could finish off the edges at the corner..  a wooden end post or something?

Bobthebuilder
16 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Thanks BTB.

The floor is actually vinyl (was carpeted when we moved in but wanted to make it “kid proof”).

I hadn’t thought of using a flooring material..  would you mount direct or onto Ply/MDF ?   Not quite sure how you could finish off the edges at the corner..  a wooden end post or something?

I would glue some 2x1 batons on the back of the flooring to hold them together. For the corner you could use a corner fillet / L shape or square, if you have a nice power tool like a Festool ts55 you could mitre the edges together.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I would glue some 2x1 batons on the back of the flooring to hold them together. For the corner you could use a corner fillet / L shape or square, if you have a nice power tool like a Festool ts55 you could mitre the edges together.

Thanks..  I will take a look at what I can find.

A corner fillet will probably be needed,  I have a mitre saw and a table saw,  but not a track saw..  plus my blades are a bit chunky,  probably not best suited to a fine/clean corner finish.

• Agree 1

I once knocked up a new bath panel using chipboard with the facing made out of tongue-and-groove panelling (short vertical lengths glued on). Incredibly easy and the thickness was just right to tuck up under the lip of the bath.

Can't remember if I framed it with some profiled timber or not, but that could also be a nice touch, to hide any rough edges etc. Then painted in a tough bathroom eggshell to make it water-resistant. 

ETA: I think I used a bottom horizontal bit of timber, a bit like in this pic:

spacer.png

Edited by LC1
Pic added
  • Agree 1