DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Investing in Russia - shares & funds

Jesus Wept

Jesus Wept

This Ukraine crisis has got me thinking about Russia and it’s future potential.

This thread is a place for all things linked to Russian investment and articles on their economy and future potential.

This from back in 2018:

https://surplusenergyeconomics.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/124-riddle-mystery-enigma/

8346D202-AF45-4EA8-8F7F-9BD7E5FF11AC.thumb.jpeg.051cf6d3cd60bcd82b6e4d93c6df207e.jpeg

Credit to @Erewhon888for this next bit from February 2022:

Quote:

“Russia has amassed foreign exchange reserves of $635bn, the fifth highest in the world and rising. It has a national debt of 18pc of GDP, the sixth lowest in the world, and falling.

The country has cleaned up the banking system and has a well-run floating currency that lets the economy roll with the punches.

It has a budget surplus and does not rely on foreign investors to cover government spending. It has slashed its dependency on oil state revenues. The fiscal break-even cost of a barrel of oil fell to $52 last year, down from $115 before the invasion of Crimea in 2014.

It is the paradox of Vladimir Putin’s tenure that he runs one of the most orthodox policy regimes on the planet. “The macroeconomic team at the central bank and the treasury are exemplary,” said Christopher Granville from TS Lombard.

Mr Putin’s tight ship is a striking contrast to the prodigal socio-economic systems of the West, where money rains from helicopters and fiscal dominance prevails. “He is extremely conservative and rails against the dangers of debt,” said Chris Weafer from Macro-Advisory in Moscow.

The commodity boom is adding an extra $10bn a month to Kremlin coffers from oil and gas. It is being squirrelled away in the National Wellbeing Fund.

This rainy day reserve can be tapped as neededto cover social spending: pensions, child care, fertility bonuses for families, and mortgage subsidies for first-time buyers – components of Mr Putin’s levelling-up strategy for the 2020s.

The Kremlin could sever all gas flows to Europe – 41pc of the EU’s supply – for two years or more without running into serious financial buffers.”

A lot of food for thought there. 

Edited by Jesus Wept
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 2

sleepwello'nights
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

Tempted by Evraz? I think the divi is juicy

The last time I looked this evening buy price was 2.99 sell price 2.00. 

Quite a spread. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2022 at 22:45, sleepwello'nights said:

The last time I looked this evening buy price was 2.99 sell price 2.00. 

Quite a spread. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing….glad I stuck with Polymetal.🤦🏻‍♂️

Had a tiny flutter on Evraz 700 @ 63p and happy that sleeps for 3/4/5 years and I see whether anything pops up at the end or if I lost all my pennies.😉🙏🏻

Edited by Pip321

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/02/2022 at 12:10, Jesus Wept said:

D5DC320B-DF58-45E4-AAC0-242CD9BDCBA3.jpeg

0EEB04FF-A77F-4B64-8479-BB6E994A44AB.jpeg

JRS is hugely down. Not sure if it’s worth investigating but it’s had a clattering.  Above it was 594p and today it’s about 130p

Bit speculative for me…but thoughts welcome