DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Pressure washer purchase anxiety.

Bus Stop Boxer

Question

Bus Stop Boxer

Have a scabby, slippery old brick patio/steps i want to spruce up.

I gather a min pressure for such a task would be in the 140 bar region.

Will also get used for less demanding applications. Car, drains, windows etc.

Looking at a Karcher K4. With a look ahead to spares availability want to keep to known brands Nilfisk Bosch Karcher etc.

Any tales from the front on these?

16 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Libspero said:

Pressure washers are a great way to shift the dirt from your patio. 

Onto your wall. 

And windows. 

And neighbours car. 

And yourself. 

And.. 

xD

You can get one of those patio heads/shrouds specifically to help prevent that.

Another who reckons Karcher lower end units (nearly all of them) are just generally shit now, with very early failure of plastic, substandard parts, even of looked after. Nilfisk was OK for a while but that now leaking.  

If I could get a s/h Kranzle for under £300 without too much use I think I'd go for that for a lifetime buy and reckon it would outlast 5 or 6 consumer units with some looking after and spares.

Should never have sold an old Kew Hobby pressure washer I bet that is still working as despite name I reckon built to far greater standard than name suggested.

Edited by onlyme
  • Agree 1

One percent
6 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Have a scabby, slippery old brick patio/steps i want to spruce up.

I gather a min pressure for such a task would be in the 140 bar region.

Will also get used for less demanding applications. Car, drains, windows etc.

Looking at a Karcher K4. With a look ahead to spares availability want to keep to known brands Nilfisk Bosch Karcher etc.

Any tales from the front on these?

I’ve got one. I think it may be a k4. Can have a look tomorrow. It’s brilliant for getting the crud off flagstones and the like. It’s all i use it for. Too much of a faff to get it out to clean the car.  Better with a bucket and hose. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Joncrete Cungle

Nilfisk, Cleanwell, Dirt Driver or MacAvant are the four brands we have at work. We have something like 20 odd pressure washers. Not one Karcher, although I have a Karcher at home. Only because my mother gave me it when she was moving to Turkey then not moving to Turkey.

Whatever you get it needs to be kept out of the weather and away from frost.

Edited by Joncrete Cungle
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

belfastchild

Had a series of karchers, rac branded and no-name.
All pretty crap, plastic parts.

Currently have a Nilfisk c120, has lasted longer than my first no-name version. Thats probably the kiss of death right there.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

Erewhon888

I was given a Karcher K2 Compact and used it to clean patio, garage roof, windows, drive and everything else I could think of. Things to be aware of: The detergent injection hose doesn't work unless you take the lance off. It's a good idea to keep using it as much as possible in the warranty period. The pressurised hose developed a small hole and you won't be able to fix that. The dealer gave a much higher quality replacement hose with no quibble. Make sure the unit/hoses are fully depressurised before trying to detach the plastic clips. The hose connection point for water inlet will need an additional screw-up metal clip (can't remember the right name) to avoid it blowing off.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, belfastchild said:

Had a series of karchers, rac branded and no-name.
All pretty crap, plastic parts.

Currently have a Nilfisk c120, has lasted longer than my first no-name version. Thats probably the kiss of death right there.

I had a Karcher around 15 years ago, it lasted around 4 years of light domestic use (car, driveweay etc). Always kept in the garage when not in use. Replaced with a cheapo one that lasted a bit longer but cost half as much.

Mate had a cheapo one last him 15 years. When it died decided to replace a good quality unit so bought a karcher. It died on the first use.

Karcher remind me of Electrolux - were good once and built up a reputation and then over the years cut costs (reduce quality).

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

Bus Stop Boxer
Snake Plissken
On 23/02/2022 at 13:50, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Did you get this in the end, had a chance to use it ? I also need to get one to do a patio be interested to see how you get on with this. Generally I've found screwfix good and the reviews reliable.

Bus Stop Boxer
4 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Did you get this in the end, had a chance to use it ? I also need to get one to do a patio be interested to see how you get on with this. Generally I've found screwfix good and the reviews reliable.

I did get it. I've put it together but not deployed yet.

I have a slight concern that the hose has not clicked reassuringly well enough in the outlet on the machine. We will see....

It didn't connect as convincingly  as it did in the lance.

One thing to note if you get this exact model, is in the manual, the mains cable lash appears to need a stiff piece to loop the belt piece under.

When in fact it secures in one cut in the moulding, before screwing to the body, and then the belt loop secures with a rounded lug on the other end of the belt. Manual pic is highly misleading, and the manual is a bit crap to be fair.

This particular model has 2 nozzles and a patio cleaner head, so is well equipped and there's a tenner off currently.

Bet you wish you'd never arxed now:)

Carl Fimble
19 hours ago, onlyme said:

Another who reckons Karcher lower end units (nearly all of them) are just generally shit now, with very early failure of plastic, substandard parts, even of looked after. Nilfisk was OK for a while but that now leaking.  

If I could get a s/h Kranzle for under £300 without too much use I think I'd go for that for a lifetime buy and reckon it would outlast 5 or 6 consumer units with some looking after and spares.

Should never have sold an old Kew Hobby pressure washer I bet that is still working as despite name I reckon built to far greater standard than name suggested.

There's something I need for work that I only fairly recently stumped up the money for a proper professional one. I ended up getting it for £130 new, with a two year warranty, and spare parts available. 

Stupidly I must have gone through about ten (or more) "cheaper" ones, they were less powerful, and £30-40 each...

• Agree 1

Carl Fimble
19 hours ago, onlyme said:

On 27/02/2022 at 16:40, Bus Stop Boxer said:

I did get it. I've put it together but not deployed yet.

I have a slight concern that the hose has not clicked reassuringly well enough in the outlet on the machine. We will see....

It didn't connect as convincingly  as it did in the lance.

One thing to note if you get this exact model, is in the manual, the mains cable lash appears to need a stiff piece to loop the belt piece under.

When in fact it secures in one cut in the moulding, before screwing to the body, and then the belt loop secures with a rounded lug on the other end of the belt. Manual pic is highly misleading, and the manual is a bit crap to be fair.

This particular model has 2 nozzles and a patio cleaner head, so is well equipped and there's a tenner off currently.

Bet you wish you'd never arxed now:)

Screwfix are really good with returns, and their Titan stuff seems to last, if my workshop hoover is anything to go by. It's a physical shop too, so if it doesn't work you can get a replacement straight away. I like Screwfix. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Screwfix are really good with returns, and their Titan stuff seems to last, if my workshop hoover is anything to go by. It's a physical shop too, so if it doesn't work you can get a replacement straight away. I like Screwfix. 

Bought a Titan one recently too, powerful and lightweight, the casters may drop off at some point but for the money seems good.

5 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

There's something I need for work that I only fairly recently stumped up the money for a proper professional one. I ended up getting it for £130 new, with a two year warranty, and spare parts available. 

Stupidly I must have gone through about ten (or more) "cheaper" ones, they were less powerful, and £30-40 each...

Buy once, cry once, but be patient and get the best deal possible either new or second hand has served me well. Items usually have better residual value too so there is always the sell on potential.

• Agree 1

Bus Stop Boxer
Posted (edited)

The model i mentioned above has blown 25 years of shite off of a red brick patio. Bricks are that nice orangey colour now.

And it did indeed blow half of the shite onto me, and the french doors, and the lawn.

Has also taken the top off a few bricks and blown chunks old mortar out. Performed very well. Cant imagine needing anything more powerful and for £90 as was, was a very good deal.

You do need a hozelock adapter for the hose feed though.

I didnt use the included patio head as my surface was too uneven for the rotating brushlets.

I have a Titan leccy chainsaw too, and that was a snip at £45. Very solid own brand stuff.

I too HEART Screwfix.

Stay tuned for 2nd hand rotavator anxiety....."The Tillering..."

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer