DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The "Hideous New Build / Slavebox" thread (#382302)

spunko

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/new-build-storm-damage-shows-we-were-sold-a-dream-262955/

Have a look at these photos. Most shocking of all isn't that the PVC cladding has blown off, it's that the PVC cladding is used to mask that they've built the upper floors using breezeblocks only.

I still don't understand why anyone would buy a new build - if you took away HTB they'd be impossible to sell.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

...the PVC cladding is used to mask that they've built the upper floors using breezeblocks only....

Why else would they put decorative cladding, if not to enable cheaper block work on that section? Even a hundred years ago fancy brickwork would be omitted from sections to be rendered or clad on houses.

Honestly, I was surprised not to see timber framing used for those upper-floor outer-leafs.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

I still don't understand why anyone would buy a new build - if you took away HTB they'd be impossible to sell.

100%. Very expensive for the plot and room sizes, plus neighbours piled up all around you. Zero scope to expand them or add value.

31 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

Why else would they put decorative cladding, if not to enable cheaper block work on that section? Even a hundred years ago fancy brickwork would be omitted from sections to be rendered or clad on houses.

Honestly, I was surprised not to see timber framing used for those upper-floor outer-leafs.

100%. Very expensive for the plot and room sizes, plus neighbours piled up all around you. Zero scope to expand them or add value.

100 years ago they would have built that completely out of brick, guaranteed. Weatherboarding was added to house that were timber framed with exposed external timbers to add an extra layer of protection against the elements; I don't think the Victorians/Edwardians clad houses to reduce costs. In fact I don't think they used cladding much at all, bricks were very much in fashion then.

How far have we come exactly?  This is a Victorian 'affordable' house.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 14-01-11 victorian house uk external - Google Search.png

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, spunko said:

100 years ago they would have built that completely out of brick, guaranteed. Weatherboarding was added to house that were timber framed with exposed external timbers to add an extra layer of protection against the elements; I don't think the Victorians/Edwardians clad houses to reduce costs. In fact I don't think they used cladding much at all, bricks were very much in fashion then.

How far have we come exactly?  This is a Victorian 'affordable' house.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 14-01-11 victorian house uk external - Google Search.png

That is pretty much my London house, minus the climbing plant. Cold houses with no cavity wall, but I would still rather have this than a new build.

This is something resident Wasiu Olukoya, who moved in just over a year ago, feels is “completely unfair”.

“I feel we have made a mistake moving here,” he said.

“We are like the fence for the properties behind; we protect the others from being damaged but it shouldn’t be that way.

“It’s on the same place on every roof but Barratt is not willing to take any responsibility and we feel they haven’t even empathised with us.

“They have just said deal with it; use your own insurance.

“We bought this home for £360,000 and we can’t even use the terrace because it’s too windy.”

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/LbnVXUfOfajoV-5Q3Cjsh2J2aHY/appointments

Nationality

Nigerian

https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-search/-/charity-details/5091423/full-print

THE CHARITY'S OBJECTS ("THE OBJECTS") ARE: 1) THE PRESERVATION AND PROTECTION OF HEALTH AND PROMOTION OF GOOD HEALTH WITH A PARTICULAR FOCUS ON, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PEOPLE FROM THE BLACK AND MINORITY ETHNIC COMMUNITIES, PRINCIPALLY IN, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ASHFORD, KENT AND THE SURROUNDING AREA ("THE AREA OF BENEFIT"), IN PARTICULAR BY: A. PROVIDING A FORUM FOR VOLUNTARY

Data for financial year ending 31 March 2021

Total income: £90,442
Total expenditure: £96,929

Total income includes £88,584 from 5 government grant(s)

So, he comes from a 99.99% black country and now is minority??

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

That is pretty much my London house, minus the climbing plant. Cold houses with no cavity wall, but I would still rather have this than a new build.

Cold but beautiful, versus warm but ugly, cheaply built & falling apart 2 years after being built. Hard decision!

Even from this photo you can see the pointing isn't too great. Not to mention the resident... :CryBaby:

EDX2DISR6U3AMTZDIYV4.jpg

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, spunko said:

Even from this photo you can see the pointing isn't too great.

Here is a pic of my pointing when I had the wooden sash windows fitted.

IMG_20200924_131915.thumb.jpg.2f1af003d52bb8c4b4be0be6256ee86e.jpg

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Cold but beautiful, versus warm but ugly, cheaply built & falling apart 2 years after being built. Hard decision!

Even from this photo you can see the pointing isn't too great. Not to mention the resident... :CryBaby:

EDX2DISR6U3AMTZDIYV4.jpg

Fuck. That looks like it was done by spastics with porridge.

Or EE labourers as they are known....

PatronizingGit
10 hours ago, spunko said:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/new-build-storm-damage-shows-we-were-sold-a-dream-262955/

Have a look at these photos. Most shocking of all isn't that the PVC cladding has blown off, it's that the PVC cladding is used to mask that they've built the upper floors using breezeblocks only.

Might still be two skin breezeblocks. I've a 70s bungalow with wood cladding beneath a couple of windows, its breeze block on the inner skin & breeze bloc (or cinder bloc, if there is a difference. They are big grey blocks cemented together, anyway) for the outer skin too. 

3 hours ago, spunko said:

EDX2DISR6U3AMTZDIYV4.jpg

If ever there is a look that says 'i can't be arsed with at least trying to look a bit presentable' 

Rab C Nesbitt was ahead of his time, for sure. 

On 24/02/2022 at 15:23, Bobthebuilder said:

If we are talking terraces this one listed today is Minton floored overload but 200k for stoke is nuts , the fact it’s close to the hospital will mean it soon sells however .https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/120483080?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

Bobthebuilder
10 minutes ago, King Penda said:

If we are talking terraces this one listed today is Minton floored overload but 200k for stoke is nuts , the fact it’s close to the hospital will mean it soon sells however .https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/120483080?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

I know me and you bought around the same time, but that's £40k more money than I paid for my London house.

Prices are fuckin mental at the moment. That place would have to rent out for over a grand a month to make that a decent yield.

Proper mental.

Joncrete Cungle

Went to visit my mates new build on Sunday on the way home from a walk in the woods, first time I have been round since he moved in. My word the rooms are small, I think our old tiny 2 bed terrace had a larger living room and kitchen. The back garden was more back yard sized. Mental, mental chicken oriental!

33 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I know me and you bought around the same time, but that's £40k more money than I paid for my London house.

Prices are fuckin mental at the moment. That place would have to rent out for over a grand a month to make that a decent yield.

Proper mental.

Yep and no off road parking don’t get me wrong it’s a very nice terrace but you can get a detached for less

Joncrete Cungle
11 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Yep and no off road parking don’t get me wrong it’s a very nice terrace but you can get a detached for less

Looks like you could fit a few NHS lodgers in it with 4 bedrooms, attic and cellar...

13 minutes ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

Looks like you could fit a few NHS lodgers in it with 4 bedrooms, attic and cellar...

You would get at least 400 for the room with its own bog maybe even 500.but yes you would get some decent lodgers ie all working .

I've watched a few on this guy's YouTube channel recently, some of the stuff he finds is quite comical. Am I to assume this shit is somewhat typical for new builds?

Absolutely shocking!

19 hours ago, Boglet said:

I've watched a few on this guy's YouTube channel recently, some of the stuff he finds is quite comical. Am I to assume this shit is somewhat typical for new builds?

Absolutely shocking!

These are great, cheers. Great channel idea I hope it gets very popular. 

I wish that there was some Robin Cook style investigative journalism into shining the light on these shoddy new builds. These bosses need to be held to account. 

Archived