• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Reactolite glasses

It's a bit of clever tech undoubtedly but do people not realise how dreadful they look on a bright day indoors when the partial tinting either makes them look like they have a sight impairment or like a non-speaking Bond villain.

Are there no mirrors in their houses?

You can imagine my shock when I turned on ITV 'ampshire the other day and there was old Fred still going reading the news! How! Indeed!

Probably bleedin' virgin blood transfusions like the Queen, that's How!

Edited by davidg

Just now, davidg said:

You can imagine my shock when I turned on ITV 'ampshire the other day and there was old Fred still going reading the news! How! Indeed!

Probably bleedin' virgin blood transfusions like the Queens, that's How!

Wow rather than How.  I genuinely thought he had retired twenty years ago.

Just googled him; he's 75!  It's witchcraft.

As you imagine, I always have those, as I am a bit allergic to daylight. They go dark because of light, but they clear due to thermal effects, which means in Winter in Scotland, they stay dark in the pub for ages.I'm not a vampire you know, just a guitarist.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

As you imagine, I always have those, as I am a bit allergic to daylight. They go dark because of light, but they clear due to thermal effects, which means in Winter in Scotland, they stay dark in the pub for ages.I'm not a vampire you know, just a guitarist.

I assumed that you would relish the vampiric look when in Whitby graveyards Mr Pin!

I wasn't thinking of you btw; I was in a meeting yesterday in a sunny room.

Edited by Frank Hovis

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I assumed that you would relish the vampiric look when in Whitby graveyards Mr Pin!

I wasn't thinking of you btw; I was in a meeting yesterday in a sunny room.

Frank, you ever seen "Boogie Nights"? I think you might be a "fluffer".

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Frank, you ever seen "Boogie Nights"? I think you might be a "fluffer".

I always think I must only have seen half a dozen films as whenever anybody mentions one I haven't seen it.

Though I know what a fluffer is from Ken's stories on ToS.

I used to have a colleague who wore them. You'd turn to him one moment for a conversation and he'd look like a normal short-sighted colleague. Then when the sun came out it was like talking to a pimp. On a really bright day he could do a passable impression of Stevie Wonder, all without even realising it.

I remember discussing this with some friends a good while back and we were all of the opinion that the wearing of reactolite sunglasses is a more or less 100% accurate indicator of being a paedophile.

I'm not aware of any scientifically sounds studies to prove our hypothesis, but I nevertheless remain completely satisfied in its veracity.

10 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

I remember discussing this with some friends a good while back and we were all of the opinion that the wearing of reactolite sunglasses is a more or less 100% accurate indicator of being a paedophile.

I'm not aware of any scientifically sounds studies to prove our hypothesis, but I nevertheless remain completely satisfied in its veracity.

No! Peadophiles are always photographed with extremely large spectacle frames.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

No! Peadophiles are always photographed with extremely large spectacle frames.

Sorry Pinny but I've got to agree with blob - reactolite glasses always trigger my wrong un alarm.

2 hours ago, blobloblob said:

I just think they've never caught sight of themselves in a mirror indoors.  Maybe they are vampires.

Peter Sellers wore them in Dr Strangelove because he wanted him to look even more weird.

dr_strangelove.jpg

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I just think they've never caught sight of themselves in a mirror indoors.  Maybe they are vampires.

Peter Sellers wore them in Dr Strangelove because he wanted him to look even more weird.

dr_strangelove.jpg

That looks like my uncle!l

Some years ago I was cycling on a Saturday morning past the local footie playing fields. I stopped to watch some games and got approachedby two teams whose ref had not turned up and asked to ref the match.

Never had done that before. Should have realised why the real ref had not turned up.

So I start reffing the game and ended up getting terrible abuse from some of the players - even one threatening to come and kick my head in because I gave decisions against them. Sent off that chap.

But I was wearing a pair of reactolites which, to me, looked clear as daylight but to anyone looking at me they looked to be dark sunglasses. I got no end of people telling me to take my sodding sunglasses off. Every time they said it I gave the other team a free kick. Thankfully, not of me.

After the gane was over the players came up to me and congratulated me on how well I had reffed the game.

Will never ever ref a match again.