• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Making the simple complex. Why?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41569694

The website of payment firm ParentPay was unavailable for several hours, meaning parents could not transfer funds for school meals and trips.

The company normally serves more than 5,500 schools in 200 local authorities, helping about 1.5 million families.

The company said it was affected "by a national internet connectivity issue - impacting some users. This is out of our control and we'll update you."

Some parents said their children were unable to buy food due to the glitch.

what is wrong with taking money into school at the start of every week?  Why, oh why do they have to complicate every aspect of life? 

15 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41569694

The website of payment firm ParentPay was unavailable for several hours, meaning parents could not transfer funds for school meals and trips.

The company normally serves more than 5,500 schools in 200 local authorities, helping about 1.5 million families.

The company said it was affected "by a national internet connectivity issue - impacting some users. This is out of our control and we'll update you."

Some parents said their children were unable to buy food due to the glitch.

what is wrong with taking money into school at the start of every week?  Why, oh why do they have to complicate every aspect of life? 

Suited me fine when I was twelve.

£1.25 school-dinner money used to buy me five packets of these back in 1977...

players_no.6_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqql6ZVqw2K

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

I would have thought you would be a regal man, coming from the north east. 

Just now, One percent said:

I would have thought you would be a regal man, coming from the north east. 

I became a Regal man once I got a paper-round when I turned thirteen. Regal were a 1/2p dearer than No6 for 10. The posh kids bought Bensons (King Size) at 27p for 10.

As well as being the only King Size in 10s at that time, B&H had a stronger pack that was much more protective of your tabs when shoved-up your armpit or down your trollies. But Regal tasted the best - even when marinated in the sweat of your arse-crack for two hours.

Smoked Regal until the cost of them made me switch to rollies around the millennium.

First twenty packet of Regal I bought was 54p - they are twenty times that now.

And the little ones still taste better than Regal King Size...

XYY

26 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I became a Regal man once I got a paper-round when I turned thirteen. Regal were a 1/2p dearer than No6 for 10. The posh kids bought Bensons (King Size) at 27p for 10.

As well as being the only King Size in 10s at that time, B&H had a stronger pack that was much more protective of your tabs when shoved-up your armpit or down your trollies. But Regal tasted the best - even when marinated in the sweat of your arse-crack for two hours.

Smoked Regal until the cost of them made me switch to rollies around the millennium.

First twenty packet of Regal I bought was 54p - they are twenty times that now.

And the little ones still taste better than Regal King Size...

XYY

I smoked the kings. 60 p a pack. I think they are around 10 quid now. O.o

Our school uses parent pay. It's actually very handy and makes it very easy to pay for lunches and school trips. Much easier than faffing around looking for change etc. A lot of people don't carry bags of cash around with them all the time.

What I don't like is linking it to a fingerprint scanner. That's evil.

4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

You must have been rich when you were at school. We bought single fags from the local cafe in the early 70’s.

A few of us nearly got expelled in fourth year for forging dinner tickets using jotter covers. Someone got hauled out the queue before the end of the week we first used them.

Luckily my father never got the letter sent by the rector because I knew what school letters looked like and got it from the postman before it was delivered. 

I gave up on forgery after my involvement in “the dinner ticket scandal”

Edited by Economic Exile

6 hours ago, NTB said:

Get em used to cashless at a young age. It will be a doddle to get rid of cash once there's only a few grumpy old farts left to resist.

Ever get the feeling we're running out of time?

That made me chuckle as I spent about 10 minutes at the self service till in the supermarket today paying for a few quid of shopping in 1,2 and 5p coins. 

5 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

You must have been rich when you were at school. We bought single fags from the local cafe in the early 70’s.

A few of us nearly got expelled in fourth year for forging dinner tickets using jotter covers. Someone got hauled out the queue before the end of the week we first used them.

Luckily my father never got the letter sent by the rector because I knew what school letters looked like and got it from the postman before it was delivered. 

12p dinner money could be turned into a bag of crisps, a bottle of bru and a single b&h at the newsagents next to the school.

And after a perfect lunch, we did colouring in. Happy days.

7 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

In the very early days of colour photocopiers one kid at the school I taught at managed to pay for his dinner with a photocopy of a £10 note he had made. It was not until he was sat with his dinner that the dippy woman taking the money  had second thoughts and showed the note to a colleague. I recall the police were called. Poor guy.

14 hours ago, onlyme said:

Bullying, stop money being spent on other stuff. Sort of makes sense.

Pretty sure there isn't bullying in schools any more, a couple of years ago we all put posts up on Facebook about it and change our profile photos, so surely that's put and end to that. 

2 hours ago, man o' the year said:

In the very early days of colour photocopiers one kid at the school I taught at managed to pay for his dinner with a photocopy of a £10 note he had made. It was not until he was sat with his dinner that the dippy woman taking the money  had second thoughts and showed the note to a colleague. I recall the police were called. Poor guy.

We managed to palm off a hand coloured B&W fiver on a short sighted teacher for change.

He asked for his money back the next day after he'd tried to spend it buying his Brown Ale in the off license.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

We managed to palm off a hand coloured B&W fiver on a short sighted teacher for change.

He asked for his money back the next day after he'd tried to spend it buying his Brown Ale in the off license.

Lucky he didn't find the hardware shop and drink drain cleaner instead.

How much simpler could microwave cookers be? All you need is a power setting and a timer. Not endless menus.

19 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Lucky he didn't find the hardware shop and drink drain cleaner instead.

How much simpler could microwave cookers be? All you need is a power setting and a timer. Not endless menus.

or washing machines, timer and temperature, job done.

37 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yup, two dials is all you need. One for power level, one for time.  My microwave doesn't need to be bluetooth enabled, join the internet of things, or have it's own facebook page.