• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Massive tidal wave imminent for the south coast?

I saw a programme on this years ago; it's a matter of time before a huge side of La Palma in the Canaries sheers off and collapses to the sea floor triggering a massive tidal wave*.

I like the sensationalist treatment in this one but to be fair it is very possible that this could trigger it.

Untitled-design-18.jpg

Geologists fear a volcano in a tourist hotspot could be about to erupt, creating a mega tsunami that could inundate Plymouth and other coastal parts of the UK.

La Palma in the Canaries has been hit by an unprecedented 40 tremors in just 48 hours - and experts are concerned this could be a sign that the island’s active volcano, Cumbre Vieja, could be about to blow.

Maria José Blanco, director of the National Geographic Institute on the island, said a similar seismic ‘swarm’ has never been recorded to this date on La Palma.

Panic spread among the 86,000 residents on the island after the largest tremor hit on Saturday afternoon, approximately 17.4 miles below ground.

Some experts believe the volcano is in the initial stages of failure, meaning a big enough eruption could cause a massive landslide to enter the Atlantic Ocean.

It could result in waves as high as 600m, travelling at around 450mph meaning the African coast would be submerged within an hour, and the southern coastlines of the British Isles in just three and a half hours.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/giant-tsunami-could-engulf-plymouth-610430

* I prefer tidal wave to tsunami as it has the sense of a wave like a tide; rather than of a tide.

Edited by Frank Hovis

2 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Holy Mother of Mary! Never mind at some point in the future, it's happening right now!

Oh wait. That's Photoshopped isn't it?

So hard to tell these days...

I think it was done very tongue in cheek, I liked it!

1 minute ago, snagger said:

Cornwall may get a bit wet, but IIRC the east coast of USA will be wiped out.

It's Cornwall that matters.

3 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Holy Mother of Mary! Never mind at some point in the future, it's happening right now!

Yeah, fake blues...

Geologists fear a volcano in a tourist hotspot could be about to erupt, creating a mega tsunami that could inundate Plymouth and other coastal parts of the UK.

When the Canary Islands slide tsunami hitting the US coastline was all the vogue didn't they used to compete about how grandiose they could make the descriptions.

They could at least have made this one multimegamassive.

What news are they trying to draw attention away from.

Apparently most of the British coastline would suffer the same - why emphasise the south coast.

Edited by twocents

50 minutes ago, JackieO said:

ISIS are on La Palma as we speak...

Since this fault on La Palma was first mentioned years ago, I've always wondered if a couple of small nukes shoved down the crack, oo-er, would send that part of the island into the sea. But if ISIS had small nukes, that would be the least of our worries.

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

The lighthouse is already leaning back in anticipation

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

Since this fault on La Palma was first mentioned years ago, I've always wondered if a couple of small nukes shoved down the crack, oo-er, would send that part of the island into the sea. But if ISIS had small nukes, that would be the least of our worries.

According to that video the Canaries would get 400 metre high waves so ISIS would need to be sure about wanting to go see the virgins.

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well, judging by that graphic, that is me buggered. I doubt my wetsuit and incredibly crap surfing skills will suffice. Looks like a giant rainbow is going to kill lots of us.

Gay waves matter!

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well, judging by that graphic, that is me buggered. I doubt my wetsuit and incredibly crap surfing skills will suffice. Looks like a giant rainbow is going to kill lots of us.

Either run for the hills or paddle well out on your board into deep water as in deep water it will just be a very heavy swell.

The real concern would be if like the 1953 floods of East Anglia it happened during the night when people had gone to bed. Three and a half hours' notice is fine if you're awake and hear about it so are able to prepare.  As mentioned on other threads there aren't enough police to go around making sure everyone likely to be affected is woken up and told the news.

We used to have a civil defence organisation that could have dealt with this sort of thing; evacuating coastal care homes etc.