DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

A celebration of Madchester

Percy Hotspur

UmBongo

I actually have a CD compilation called (something like) Bez's Madchester anthems. Pic of Bez on the front with his maracas. 

Happy Mondays of course, Primal Scream, New Order, the Beloved, 808 State, Stone Roses, Smiths. Great album. :)

• Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...
moneyscam
On 13/03/2022 at 13:50, UmBongo said:

I actually have a CD compilation called (something like) Bez's Madchester anthems. Pic of Bez on the front with his maracas. 

Happy Mondays of course, Primal Scream, New Order, the Beloved, 808 State, Stone Roses, Smiths. Great album. :)

I've got that one too. Added a few other tracks from the same era like EMF, The Charlatans, Soup Dragons, The Farm, James and The Shamen amongst others to make a decent late 80's / early 90's compilation.

Edited by moneyscam
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
Bus Stop Boxer

World of Fookin Twist

Mock Fookin Turtles

Fuck i miss those days. I saw it all through the lens of the Mancs coming south to London.

My mate and his sister were the only ones in the crowd at the Turtles gig at the Falcon NW1 early 90s.

This tune is just so fucking awesome.

My band played with the Charlatans pre Tim Burgess at the LSE in 89. We borrowed their organ. Fnar.

We went baggy for a bit but didnt have enough material, we were still stuck with the jangly indie mod stuff and getting nowhere. You could feel that crossover of dance and guitar was coming towards the real fag end of the 80s.. I had one song that would have lived happily in that ilk, but we didn't have enough groove to ride that wave.

2 years later we almost got signed to the Charlatans management in Nantwich. But my cunt band mates formed a tribute band and toured the North East, fucking tarts instead..... outrageous....come back!

Saw the Stone Roses with John Leckie doing the live sound at the Powerhaus in Liverpool Road N1 roundabout 89. Bus loads of floppy white bucket hatted Mancs all over the shop. That gig was written up in several baggy retrospective books. Was one of the most memorable gigs of my life.

Saw the Mondays at ULU in 90. Another belter.

Whole time was head and shoulders the best time of my life. I miss it, big time.

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer
  • Love 2
  • Cheers 2

Percy Hotspur
On 11/04/2022 at 23:14, Bus Stop Boxer said:

World of Fookin Twist

Mock Fookin Turtles

Fuck i miss those days. I saw it all through the lens of the Mancs coming south to London.

My mate and his sister were the only ones in the crowd at the Turtles gig at the Falcon NW1 early 90s.

This tune is just so fucking awesome.

My band played with the Charlatans pre Tim Burgess at the LSE in 89. We borrowed their organ. Fnar.

We went baggy for a bit but didnt have enough material, we were still stuck with the jangly indie mod stuff and getting nowhere. You could feel that crossover of dance and guitar was coming towards the real fag end of the 80s.. I had one song that would have lived happily in that ilk, but we didn't have enough groove to ride that wave.

2 years later we almost got signed to the Charlatans management in Nantwich. But my cunt band mates formed a tribute band and toured the North East, fucking tarts instead..... outrageous....come back!

Saw the Stone Roses with John Leckie doing the live sound at the Powerhaus in Liverpool Road N1 roundabout 89. Bus loads of floppy white bucket hatted Mancs all over the shop. That gig was written up in several baggy retrospective books. Was one of the most memorable gigs of my life.

Saw the Mondays at ULU in 90. Another belter.

Whole time was head and shoulders the best time of my life. I miss it, big time.

Great story, my friend. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

OK, these were from Liverpool, but same scene. This was their greatest. And if the single mix had mirrored this dance remix it would have been a huge hit. As it was it was buried. Oh, the lyrics, the mix, the mood. What can you say. Genius.

(The 12" of this sounds amazing, 45 RPM, plenty of psychadelic aural effects mixed into the bridge, incredible bass, it's one hell of an experience, I'm out of my mind for 7 minutes)

• Cheers 1