DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Will bigger houses become a liability

King Penda

Will they be a cash drain due to council tax rises more heating etc and could in theory small gaffs increase in value more % wize in worse areas where councils are less brave or are hamstrung to increase them to much because they are in impoverished areas . Any opinions .my own is that your best best is an x council semi with off road parking regarding stoke can the south east keep accelerating only with more mass imigrents then they will be forced up north pushing our prices up 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the handful of old biddies I know who live in big houses all alone, they tend to just live in 2-3 rooms. Bedroom, kitchen, living room. The other rooms aren't heated and the doors are shut.

I suspect more people are going to do this; I have a spare bedroom (the horror) and have turned the radiator to low and shut the door. No point heating a room when it's only used once a month.

Not related to heating but there are increasing levels of anger about people daring to have 1-2 spare bedrooms in their home and I suspect if Labour ever get in they will look at taxing the 'rich' in this way. It's a great diversion tactic: you have 2 empty bedrooms yet there are people waiting for council houses for years. Nevermind all the other factors that contribute to it.

The olds have this.

Large old house which was always cold. I think they have thrown in the towel and only run the heating a little bit.

Aside from kitchen they spent most of the day in one room now, heated by one of those 2kw electric fan heaters. Which to be fair makes the room roasting.

Not sure how much this costs, maybe 20p/hour? The fan won't be on maximum consumption most of the time. 

I think the real pain will be had by those larger families who cannot all live in one room and consume a lot of electric. 

53 minutes ago, spunko said:

From the handful of old biddies I know who live in big houses all alone, they tend to just live in 2-3 rooms. Bedroom, kitchen, living room. The other rooms aren't heated and the doors are shut.

I suspect more people are going to do this; I have a spare bedroom (the horror) and have turned the radiator to low and shut the door. No point heating a room when it's only used once a month.

Not related to heating but there are increasing levels of anger about people daring to have 1-2 spare bedrooms in their home and I suspect if Labour ever get in they will look at taxing the 'rich' in this way. It's a great diversion tactic: you have 2 empty bedrooms yet there are people waiting for council houses for years. Nevermind all the other factors that contribute to it.

I’ve often thought about Labour and a reverse bedroom tax obviesly a defence is room for grandkids etc the councils would love the power

PatronizingGit

UK (English at least, not sure about Scotland/Ulster...since the 1980s homes in England seem to be getting smaller & smaller but new homes in Scot/Ulster look bigger) homes arent for the most part very large anyway. A 1500sq ft home in the rest of the anglosphere is considered small, & on most of the continent, aside from the commieblock countries, not large. I'd guess in England however, anything about 1500sq ft puts you in the top 10% of floorspace.

If solar & battery tech improves, who knows, perhaps a large roof to overall space ratio could be a bonus, solar panel wise.

2 hours ago, PatronizingGit said:

UK (English at least, not sure about Scotland/Ulster...since the 1980s homes in England seem to be getting smaller & smaller but new homes in Scot/Ulster look bigger) homes arent for the most part very large anyway. A 1500sq ft home in the rest of the anglosphere is considered small, & on most of the continent, aside from the commieblock countries, not large. I'd guess in England however, anything about 1500sq ft puts you in the top 10% of floorspace.

If solar & battery tech improves, who knows, perhaps a large roof to overall space ratio could be a bonus, solar panel wise.

Maybe but those days of cheap batteries and large roofs are decades away in fact the houses could get still smaller so are more economical to run .solar farms will eat into green space they will clamp down on forms of diy cost cutting on electric in time so they can tax you and profit from it more

Frank Hovis

Purely on a personal level I rented a big four bed house with big garden as I thought a big place would be fun but, maybe because I was working full time or maybe this would anyway be the case, I found that most weeks I didn't even go into three or four of the rooms yet still had to heat them, pay council tax for them, and keep them clean.

I bought somewhere smaller and think that the right decision.

Such homes only really suit families.  And most people with families are skint so can't afford these homes.

They made sense before the sustained near thirty year stretch of HPI when people with big families could buy them but now they are mostly only affordable to those who don't need them and so are usually lived in by an older couple or single person for whom they are too much.

I know a couple in their 80s (not the ones I've mentioned before) who have a house so big that they have five settees.  The husband is in rapidly fading health so it's far too much for them but they stay there.

Yadda yadda yadda
22 hours ago, King Penda said:

Will they be a cash drain due to council tax rises more heating etc and could in theory small gaffs increase in value more % wize in worse areas where councils are less brave or are hamstrung to increase them to much because they are in impoverished areas . Any opinions .my own is that your best best is an x council semi with off road parking regarding stoke can the south east keep accelerating only with more mass imigrents then they will be forced up north pushing our prices up 

Small council flats in Westminster will be the cheapest homes to run in the country. Low council tax and low utilities.

We've thought hard about this.  We have a house being slowly turned into a multi-generational house, where our kids can have their own space and if necessary their own young children.  The garden is big enough to grow veg and have fruit trees.  If I had to, I could turn every inch of the lawn into growing stuff.  we've massively ramped up the insulation, for energy saving in both winter and summer.  Having a new rainwater storage tank put in to double the water for the veggie garden which I don't have to pay for.

I'd have loved a bigger bush block, a couple of acres, but I think you need to be retired so you are not trying to work full time and maintain all the growing stuff.

I think the future - if we are not all eating bugs - is multi generational houses, or very small hong kong like apartments in the cities.  big houses with 1-2 people rattling around are increasingly going to be seen as a target by government and lawlessness alike.

10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Purely on a personal level I rented a big four bed house with big garden as I thought a big place would be fun but, maybe because I was working full time or maybe this would anyway be the case, I found that most weeks I didn't even go into three or four of the rooms yet still had to heat them, pay council tax for them, and keep them clean.

I bought somewhere smaller and think that the right decision.

Such homes only really suit families.  And most people with families are skint so can't afford these homes.

They made sense before the sustained near thirty year stretch of HPI when people with big families could buy them but now they are mostly only affordable to those who don't need them and so are usually lived in by an older couple or single person for whom they are too much.

I know a couple in their 80s (not the ones I've mentioned before) who have a house so big that they have five settees.  The husband is in rapidly fading health so it's far too much for them but they stay there.

Maybe bought houses will become more like rented houses.

Go to an area - youll get the usual 2/3 BR houses being rented for, say, 800/m. Then go a bit further out and the big places with 5/6 br and land are listed for less than 2x.

In rental terms - bigger/more house does not equal more money.

Locally, i look at OAPs in 4/5 BR houses and wonder about their chances of selling to anyone under 50 in the next 10 years, at least at the prices they think tst worth..

Its got to be very low.

Again IO BTL/rentals for the under 50s and HPI have distorted housing cost so far from income its going to to take large wage increases andor large HP falls to allow stuff to clear.

SIde note - Im seeing a large uptick in houses being listed. Not sure if the EA BS on high prices that have drawn sales out. Or people have run out of money.

6 hours ago, wherebee said:

We've thought hard about this.  We have a house being slowly turned into a multi-generational house, where our kids can have their own space and if necessary their own young children.  The garden is big enough to grow veg and have fruit trees.  If I had to, I could turn every inch of the lawn into growing stuff.  we've massively ramped up the insulation, for energy saving in both winter and summer.  Having a new rainwater storage tank put in to double the water for the veggie garden which I don't have to pay for.

I'd have loved a bigger bush block, a couple of acres, but I think you need to be retired so you are not trying to work full time and maintain all the growing stuff.

I think the future - if we are not all eating bugs - is multi generational houses, or very small hong kong like apartments in the cities.  big houses with 1-2 people rattling around are increasingly going to be seen as a target by government and lawlessness alike.

We're thinking a little similarly with the house we're currently building.

We've settled on a plot that is big enough to support veg patch and some fruit trees but not so big that it's going to cost a fortune in fuel to maintain.

House will be a little over 2000 sq ft but that includes a garage to keep car insurance costs down and also to extend the life of our infrequently used car.  House is steel framed with a metal roof and a building fabric that will last a long time so that will all out last me.  Well insulated to keep energy costs down, heat pump hot water on a timer (possibly our Achilles heel with reliability but if it goes a bit wrong a simple tank hot water system should steel cost little to run) and we're putting solar panels on the roof so hot water should be free.  So our house maintenance costs should be negligible for a long time as well as our electricity costs.

If we flood then Noah is going to need to appear quick smart and we're also close to the bush but not close enough to be concerned about fire.  That should keep insurance costs down as insurance companies start to price based on true risk per plot.

The only thing I haven't invested in so far is water tanks although we have the space.  I just couldn't make the maths add up after thinking about initial installation plus replacement pumps etc.  Something for another day if water prices get out of hand.

On 05/03/2022 at 22:59, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Small council flats in Westminster will be the cheapest homes to run in the country. Low council tax and low utilities.

Yeah the council tax system needs reform. Not as urgent as business rates. The Tories dare not touch council tax reform as still haunted by poll tax riots.

On 06/03/2022 at 02:00, wherebee said:

My parents house is a perfect multi-generational house. They just lucked into it buying at the right time but the last time they tried to sell it the only offers they got were from Indian and Asian families who saw what great value it was in the current market i.e. as a multi-family house. Modern build so no maintenance required and the energy bill isn't crazy.

I think they'd be mental to sell it but it looks like they're going to basically sell it and use the same money to buy what will likely be a house that's about 40%+ smaller .... for the same money if not more.

I can see why buying a big house is a bad idea if you're single as @Frank Hovis has pointed out (although my parents house might not even count as big....about 1700 square feet), and in the current market where to get the same amount of space my parents got for £170K 8 years back you're now paying £300K+ often for a fixer upper....but if you're lucky enough to have the space, aquired for a relatively small amount of money by todays standards, it seems a foolish thing to let go of.

One percent
1 minute ago, belfastchild said:

Always thought Council tax/rates based on epc like performance would be on the cards in the not too distant future.

Who knows but one thing you can be sure of that the sap taxpayer will be arse raped. 

• 3 weeks later...
Bobthebuilder

In my Dorset searches, I rarely see many properties over £1million listed. Starting to see more lately, even starting to see the £4 and £5million properties listed. Over the years I have noted this as a peak in the smart money.

We shall see.

HousePriceMania
On 05/03/2022 at 00:53, King Penda said:

My wife and I offered on a few 4000sq ft+ houses not long before 2020.  

We are very glad we didn't managed to buy one.  

We had one on the hook that had no sold for 12 months, then CV19 hit and some Londoner bought it, full asking price.

42 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

My wife and I offered on a few 4000sq ft+ houses not long before 2020.  

We are very glad we didn't managed to buy one.  

We had one on the hook that had no sold for 12 months, then CV19 hit and some Londoner bought it, full asking price.

That’s big

11 minutes ago, King Penda said:

That’s big

Yep especially given they're selling 850 square feet houses as 'family homes' in Belfast.

Don't think I can even visualize what 4000 sqft would look like.

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Yep especially given they're selling 850 square feet houses as 'family homes' in Belfast.

Don't think I can even visualize what 4000 sqft would look like.

I think most 2 bed x council houses around here are about 950 /1050

7 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Imagine the heating bills doubling.

Think of the lodgers my greedy mate in Telford has now rented his loft out and is sleeping on his setee I’m like wtf. He is like it’s 1200 tax free quid he realy is a greedy cunt

Archived