DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Will bigger houses become a liability

King Penda

I'm no expert, but I'd expect the lower ratio of surface area to volume to result in a lower heating cost/m3, due to a reduced rate of heat loss.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sancho panza
2 hours ago, spunko said:

Out of interest would a 2000 sq ft home have double the heating costs of a 1000 sq ft home, all other things being equal?

Looks like they all calucalte the cost per sq metre/ft.No saving on bigger homes.I'd have thought there would be

https://learnmetrics.com/heating-cost-per-square-foot-calculator/

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/how-much-heating-energy-do-you-use

sancho panza
On 05/03/2022 at 00:53, King Penda said:

Will they be a cash drain due to council tax rises more heating etc and could in theory small gaffs increase in value more % wize in worse areas where councils are less brave or are hamstrung to increase them to much because they are in impoverished areas . Any opinions .my own is that your best best is an x council semi with off road parking regarding stoke can the south east keep accelerating only with more mass imigrents then they will be forced up north pushing our prices up 

Great thread.I beleive bigger hosues will be seen in the future as a liability and their price will pull back to the mean average asa result.We rent a decent size hosue,when our fix ends in 23 october,the price hike will be steep and we may well let the owner have it back.

Bobthebuilder
3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Great thread.I beleive bigger hosues will be seen in the future as a liability and their price will pull back to the mean average asa result.We rent a decent size hosue,when our fix ends in 23 october,the price hike will be steep and we may well let the owner have it back.

I have been taking an interest in the energy performance certificates on larger properties recently. What with the energy problems we face going forward.

All the ones I see are in band D, as band C will be the minimum rating for let properties from 2025, I am taking that as a minimum level that I would consider for a purchase.

The updates required on a large property are higher cost wise obviously, not something I would like to pay for after parting with a sky high valuation at present.

I have heard that an average 3 bed semi will cost approx £20k to bring up to band C, imagine the cost on a large detached probate,,,,, massive.

We have 3 bed. Son uses small one for computer table and single bed when the Thailand crew arrive. Other bedroom double bed and a rejig  of furniture means foldaway beds for the girls. The whole visit is not entirely with us.

In the future as we have a Premiere Inn local might be a choice or they get Airbnb between Manchester/ Leeds.Ironically they have a rental 4 beds which school pays.

sancho panza
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have been taking an interest in the energy performance certificates on larger properties recently. What with the energy problems we face going forward.

All the ones I see are in band D, as band C will be the minimum rating for let properties from 2025, I am taking that as a minimum level that I would consider for a purchase.

The updates required on a large property are higher cost wise obviously, not something I would like to pay for after parting with a sky high valuation at present.

I have heard that an average 3 bed semi will cost approx £20k to bring up to band C, imagine the cost on a large detached probate,,,,, massive.

Yeah my view is that at the right price I'd buy anything, but if it needs money spending, then I'd add 50% to it and take it off my bid( my bids will only ever be low anyway).so 50k spend means at least 75k off. But in all honesty I don't really want the hassle of doing DIY. 

Current house is lovely but big bill looming in roof. If LL wants a buyer think he's going to struggle in the current environment unless people don't get a survey,.

The coming recession will provide opportunities for you if you can underbid some big old places

On my dog walk i go through an area where the houses randge from a 1-3 million easily one of the biggest issues with a large home is the maintenance it can be never ending

You will notice issues on alot these older bigger homes whilst walking by them, mising flashing, rotting fascias, rotten fence panels, peeling paint, old windows etc...

There is one that has been having alot work done recently and its an Indian family 3-4 cars on the driveway so i assume a few of the family living together sharing the costs

When i was a carpenter we did alot work for a indian family, husband was a doctor, kids all had good jobs and they all live in a nice house together 

For me i don't want a huge home but i do want a large kitchen social area to enjoy cooking and having family over as for the rest of the house tv room, bedrooms and a decent bathroom

The garden is where im looking for space BBQ area and room to put large garden room like a gym/office and to try grow some food in a greenhouse or something

But bigger homes i can't see the point to them now aprt from living with lots family or status, you can make a nice home if you sit and think about planning it out right rather than buying a bigger home because you think you need it, but most don't

Ever notice when looking at big homes on Rightmove when the rooms are to big people seem to have random chairs everywhere i once counted like 30 chairs in one house

1516816286_Screenshot2022-04-01at17_29_21.thumb.png.266d6552b75b3787d9ea729abf7d5e58.png57992953_Screenshot2022-04-01at17_30_01.thumb.png.8c0ce0b27e575cf42fe76b48d686bb1d.png1403044379_Screenshot2022-04-01at17_30_13.thumb.png.5678f3ec92622a2e1d8b9e0b728fdbd0.png

Just to note im not looking at the above houses those are the kind i walk past 

Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

The coming recession will provide opportunities for you if you can underbid some big old places

Have a look at this place that came up on my search today.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/121854041#/?channel=RES_BUY

The pictures look wonderful, (in a footballers type way), tennis court, guest lodge, pool etc.

Fantastic.

Then click on the EPC, band E.

no thanks.

Bobthebuilder
Just now, DoINeedOne said:

i count 35 seats, nice place 

I had to edit the post as the EPC is band E not D, even worse.

5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

The pictures look wonderful, (in a footballers type way), tennis court, guest lodge, pool etc.

Fantastic.

no thanks.

Would be easy enough to get that up to C or so. I went from E to B in my old house. 

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, spunko said:

Would be easy enough to get that up to C or so. I went from E to B in my old house. 

Tell us more, that's fascinating. I thought it would cost a fortune.

Edit to add. The EPC shows the potential rating to be low D.

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Tell us more, that's fascinating. I thought it would cost a fortune.

Edit to add. The EPC shows the potential rating to be low D.

Triple glazed windows, solar hot water, insulating the attic way above the minimum, can't remember the thickness now. Think that was about it...

Bobthebuilder
7 minutes ago, spunko said:

Triple glazed windows, solar hot water, insulating the attic way above the minimum, can't remember the thickness now. Think that was about it...

Very interesting.

Mind, that is going to cost a few bob, windows probably £50K ish.

Fuck me spunks, you must have done well.

38 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Very interesting.

Mind, that is going to cost a few bob, windows probably £50K ish.

Fuck me spunks, you must have done well.

Didn't cost anything like that, was only a small house.B|

Uncle Buck Rogers

Bet a lot of folk will soon regret following Dion, that fat Gerbil lookalike,Krusty and Phails advice to knock through and make it all open plan.

sancho panza
5 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Fantastic.

no thanks.

On the back of our earlier discussion I went and measured the house weve just moved to.kids were laughing.. We left a 3 bed semi that had got to small for us and the 4 kids.moved to this place late Dec ie before the cost of heating it rocketed.3000 sq ft ffs.renting so beggars can't be choosers

We're on a fix leccy gas till Oct 23 at super cheap prices.when that ends it could get expensive although that's a relative measure as buying the place would be even more expensive.

Mrs P is enjoying the place but in all honesty it's too big for us shes said as much,even before the heating bills.its a bungalow and if you forget the salt n pepper at dinner time it's a fucking trek back to the kitchen.then one of the kids wants a potato that's not been cut and its another fucking trek for yours truly. 

Now we've lived in something like this, it's been an eye opener,I think mrs P has enjoyed some aspects n not others.for a start there's a park opposite us but rarely any kids in it as the only people who can afford to live here are old. The kids who go to the village school often come from miles away. 

I seem to have digressed Bob. All I was trying to say is that with heating bills like those coming your going to need a big pension to heat a place like this and those pensions are going to be few and far between going forward.really can't see who the buyers will be going forward

sancho panza
45 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Expensive this was offers around 3.6mil

Screenshot_20220401-220015_Chrome.jpg

Is that viable as a hotel? What's your professional view?

sancho panza
5 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

On my dog walk i go through an area where the houses randge from a 1-3 million easily one of the biggest issues with a large home is the maintenance it can be never ending

You will notice issues on alot these older bigger homes whilst walking by them, mising flashing, rotting fascias, rotten fence panels, peeling paint, old windows etc...

There is one that has been having alot work done recently and its an Indian family 3-4 cars on the driveway so i assume a few of the family living together sharing the costs

When i was a carpenter we did alot work for a indian family, husband was a doctor, kids all had good jobs and they all live in a nice house together 

For me i don't want a huge home but i do want a large kitchen social area to enjoy cooking and having family over as for the rest of the house tv room, bedrooms and a decent bathroom

The garden is where im looking for space BBQ area and room to put large garden room like a gym/office and to try grow some food in a greenhouse or something

But bigger homes i can't see the point to them now aprt from living with lots family or status, you can make a nice home if you sit and think about planning it out right rather than buying a bigger home because you think you need it, but most don't

Ever notice when looking at big homes on Rightmove when the rooms are to big people seem to have random chairs everywhere i once counted like 30 chairs in one house

1516816286_Screenshot2022-04-01at17_29_21.thumb.png.266d6552b75b3787d9ea729abf7d5e58.png57992953_Screenshot2022-04-01at17_30_01.thumb.png.8c0ce0b27e575cf42fe76b48d686bb1d.png1403044379_Screenshot2022-04-01at17_30_13.thumb.png.5678f3ec92622a2e1d8b9e0b728fdbd0.png

Just to note im not looking at the above houses those are the kind i walk past 

It never ceases to amaze me the cost of running big old victorian houses. Anything with a lot of wood.

I think we're going to go back to the eta when houses were priced off their cost of carry

With a crooked smile
3 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Is that viable as a hotel? What's your professional view?

Well I've bought my mum and dad Sunday lunch there before. It's a bit of a strange one. I've seen it come up for sale a few times over the years. I think in the past the headline turnover and profit looked healthy. In the past they did corporate events stag nights and Sunday lunch experiences.

I've never been but would like to. My parents got a complimentary boat across you can land by helicopter I believe. 

4 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Now we've lived in something like this, it's been an eye opener,I think mrs P has enjoyed some aspects n not others.for a start there's a park opposite us but rarely any kids in it as the only people who can afford to live here are old. The kids who go to the village school often come from miles away. 

My last rental was in the type of estate they stopped building in the mid 90s. Big 4/5 bed detached houses with nice gardens. 

I could see 4 other houses from our place. At least 21 bedrooms in all of those houses. 

9 people in all of those houses. 4 in ours. 5 in the other 4.

Fucking lunacy. 

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Mrs P is enjoying the place but in all honesty it's too big for us shes said as much,even before the heating bills.its a bungalow and if you forget the salt n pepper at dinner time it's a fucking trek back to the kitchen.then one of the kids wants a potato that's not been cut and its another fucking trek for yours truly. 

I have a mate who bought a large bungalow, massive loft, but you had to walk around it like a maze.

Archived