DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Will bigger houses become a liability

King Penda

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Can you put a link to your refurb thread (It was you that dug a floor up and found tiles right?)

No build thread, and it wasn't me that you're thinking of (I know the thread you saw - I'll post a link if I find it again) :$

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
leonardratso
20 minutes ago, Andersen said:

No build thread, and it wasn't me that you're thinking of (I know the thread you saw - I'll post a link if I find it again) :$

sasquatch?

I lived in a large 3 storey Victorian terrace for a few years and it was like an ice-box in the winter.  I tried to keep busy so as to not have to put the heating on too much but having large rooms with high ceilings and little sunlight through the windows means they are difficult to heat.  When first built they would have had a coal fire in each room and a maid to clean out the hearth etc.  There's no cavity wall either and they are prone to damp plus most need expensive building work/new roof etc.  All in all they wil become a liability to all the Kirsty and Phil buyers who fell in love with "features". 

Another question but maybe better to start its own thread, Will rural houses, remote from large conurbations become a liability?

Increased petrol costs, ppm road charging, green policies and as some think running out of oil that will only increase costs rapidly or result in restrictions.

If you were to buy a house would you be better of buying and living in the inner city, town centres?

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, Inque said:

Another question but maybe better to start its own thread, Will rural, remote form large conurbations become a liability?

Increased petrol costs, ppm road charging, green policies and as some think running out of oil that will only increase costs rapidly or result in restrictions.

If you were to buy a house would you be better of buying and living in the inner city, town centres?

Yes, I think they will.

Rural hamlets and villages tend to have a mixture of nice houses and small very cheap houses.

I can't see how, unless there is staff accommodation with the job, someone with a low income will be able to afford ti runa car to commute to their place of work.

This is actually the stated aim of some green councillors; that everyone will live in the same town in which they work so greatly reducing the need for perosnal and public transport.

There are many places in Cornwall, and every rural county, where having your own car is a necessity if you are working.  When having your own car becomes priced out by road charging and EVs then you would have to decide how happy you are commuting through the winter on an electric bike.

I can see smaller, poorer villages disappearing unless they are in easy commuting distance of towns.

That said the picture is very different depending upon your circumstances.

If you are in work and on a low wage you are going to be forced into the town in which you work because you will not be able to afford to do otherwise.

If however you don't work and have money then your rural idyll will become more idyllic as the working inhabitants leave.

One percent
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I think they will.

Rural hamlets and villages tend to have a mixture of nice houses and small very cheap houses.

I can't see how, unless there is staff accommodation with the job, someone with a low income will be able to afford ti runa car to commute to their place of work.

This is actually the stated aim of some green councillors; that everyone will live in the same town in which they work so greatly reducing the need for perosnal and public transport.

There are many places in Cornwall, and every rural county, where having your own car is a necessity if you are working.  When having your own car becomes priced out by road charging and EVs then you would have to decide how happy you are commuting through the winter on an electric bike.

I can see smaller, poorer villages disappearing unless they are in easy commuting distance of towns.

That said the picture is very different depending upon your circumstances.

If you are in work and on a low wage you are going to be forced into the town in which you work because you will not be able to afford to do otherwise.

If however you don't work and have money then your rural idyll will become more idyllic as the working inhabitants leave.

Which is fine as long as local people aren’t priced out of the town by second homes and holiday lets.  All the businesses round here are squealing that they cannot get staff already. Factor in the cost of communing in from the surrounding cheaper villages and then not being able to park…

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Which is fine as long as local people aren’t priced out of the town by second homes and holiday lets.  All the businesses round here are squealing that they cannot get staff already. Factor in the cost of communing in from the surrounding cheaper villages and then not being able to park…

Tbh I was thinking of the inland towns where all the real (non-hospitality) jobs are based.  Towns with the big industrial estates.

In west Cornwall it's Redruth and Camborne where the jobs are though people with the better paying jobs live by the seaside and commute in.

The aim of the green loonies is that everyone who works in CamRed lives in CamRed and nobody gets to live in a pretty village or with a sea view and commutes in.

One percent
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Tbh I was thinking of the inland towns where all the real (non-hospitality) jobs are based.  Towns with the big industrial estates.

In west Cornwall it's Redruth and Camborne where the jobs are though people with the better paying jobs live by the seaside and commute in.

The aim of the green loonies is that everyone who works in CamRed lives in CamRed and nobody gets to live in a pretty village or with a sea view and commutes in.

There’s a few sink villages between here and smoggy land. Used to be nice 50 years ago but then they started dumping feral smoggies there. They are the only places left where local young people can afford to live, either buying or renting as the holiday lot give them a wide berth. 

sancho panza
On 09/06/2022 at 12:47, Inque said:

Another question but maybe better to start its own thread, Will rural houses, remote from large conurbations become a liability?

We moved recently to a hosue in a village 10 miles out of leicester,relatively rural.

Getting either side of Liecester on the ring road can take 40 minutes on bad day.

1000 people in the village but I'd say predominantly older retirees.Park is rarely used.Sad.

For young people with student detbs to pay ,living places like this will become relatively impossible on a cashflow basis if they try and buy.Because it's quaint and the oldies like it,the prices for buying are already high.

These villages are doomed over the medium term if they don't become big enough to have a full range of shops/school.

Archived