DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Russian stocks - blood on the streets

ccc

So. We have all heard the old saying. Buy when there's blood on the streets.

So for a danger gamble - any ideas ? :Old:

reformed nice guy

Gazprom is the primary supplier of gas to Europe. Us dosbodders collectively own 7% of it now

Polymetal as well. If it goes tits up then we can fly over and they might let us pan through their tailings in sympathy, wave our worthless shares at them

• Informative 1

nirvana
9 hours ago, ccc said:

So. We have all heard the old saying. Buy when there's blood on the streets.

So for a danger gamble - any ideas ? :Old:

this is not a good idea for widows and orphans BUT Evraz bounced 80% on friday......and yes I was in at the low but not out at the high :P

• Informative 2

Gazprom has been great to own over the last year, but now I've sold at a loss I want them back.

My current brokers are HL and AJ Bell they were disappointingly quick to stop trading in Russian shares.

I'm also interested in the other shares mentioned here, what platforms are offering access?

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Hardhat said:

I have to say I'm fairly tempted by a punt on POLY. I'm watching it to see any sign of a bottom forming atm.

Just stuck in £2k.

I'm aware it's a total gamble but fuck it. :D

• Lol 3
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, ccc said:

Just stuck in £2k.

I'm aware it's a total gamble but fuck it. :D

@ccc If you don't mind me asking what broker/company did you buy with?

I'm looking for companies that still trade Russian stock.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Plan-b said:

@ccc If you don't mind me asking what broker/company did you buy with?

I'm looking for companies that still trade Russian stock.

Thanks

Hargreaves Lansdowne. I'm very new to this stuff though O.o

There was a warning saying might not be able to fulfill so fuck knows. 

• Cheers 1

longtomsilver

Great minds think alike (or fools comes together). I split £1,750 between polymetals and evraz on the lows too but that's money I'm prepared to lose.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Great minds think alike (or fools comes together). I split £1,750 between polymetals and evraz on the lows too but that's money I'm prepared to lose.

Well mine went through so it's in the laps of the gods now. :D

• Lol 1

longtomsilver
44 minutes ago, ccc said:

Well mine went through so it's in the laps of the gods now. :D

Ha! Acts of war or the gods are normally reasons to run a mile. I also bought 7,500 hochschild mining a couple of weeks ago for 96p/share these have been a good hedge against the recent falls in my bluechip stocks the exception being BAE which is defensive in times like these. 

Nickel price is currently up 20% on the day... EV car killer imo if this continues. 

Edit: bought a couple of grand RR. today for 85p 

Edited by longtomsilver
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

Lightly Toasted
5 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Edit: bought a couple of grand RR. today for 85p 

Similar here, 87p. I'd been considering for a while and splurged the final 3k of this year's ISA.

RR has significant defence business plus their proposed mini-nuke power stations -- already interesting to me, could become even more interesting once we're shivering in the dark. Plus national engineering competence may well be more important in future.

On the downside there's their airline engine business, but that was already on the floor due to the coof. Plus, if things turn really bad we'll all have more to worry about than our shares losing value :ph34r:

Edited by Lightly Toasted
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

longtomsilver
1 hour ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Similar here, 87p. I'd been considering for a while and splurged the final 3k of this year's ISA.

RR has significant defence business plus their proposed mini-nuke power stations -- already interesting to me, could become even more interesting once we're shivering in the dark. Plus national engineering competence may well be more important in future.

On the downside there's their airline engine business, but that was already on the floor due to the coof. Plus, if things turn really bad we'll all have more to worry about than our shares losing value :ph34r:

I actually know a nuclear scientist who worked on the Rolls Royce SMR programme... he's now a consultant working between the UK and US. Believe it or not he was actually trying to convince me not too, telling me that the SMR programme was a waste of time and that nuclear fusion leapfrog ahead and from 2035-2040. I did some digging and for fusion to work (apparently they don't call it nuclear fusion intentionally as people won't want one in their back yard) you need deuterium-tritium and not deuterium-deuterium fusion (which has only 5% of the bang) and each reactor would require copious amounts of lithium to act as the thermal blanket and produce the 350kg of tritium required per day through transmutation as there's only 12kg of the stuff world wide. Then you have the problem of nuclear proliferation... there's going to be such an excess of neutrons that countries would be able to stuff depleted uranium in the core and each reactor would be capable of producing upto 50kg of plutonium every year. Therefore it's dangerous and pie in the sky. I'm guessing he didn't leave his job voluntarily and is a touch bitter. He said RR. didn't have the manufacturing facilities but surely that's why the programme has been syndicated. Yes that's why I'm invested.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

Lightly Toasted
18 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

I actually know a nuclear scientist who worked on the Rolls Royce SMR programme... he's now a consultant working between the UK and US. Believe it or not he was actually trying to convince me not too, telling me that the SMR programme was a waste of time and that nuclear fusion leapfrog ahead and from 2035-2040. I did some digging and for fusion to work (apparently they don't call it nuclear fusion intentionally as people won't want one in their back yard) you need deuterium-tritium and not deuterium-deuterium fusion (which has only 5% of the bang) and each reactor would require copious amounts of lithium to act as the thermal blanket and produce the 350kg of tritium required per day through transmutation as there's only 12kg of the stuff world wide. Then you have the problem of nuclear proliferation... there's going to be such an excess of neutrons that countries would be able to stuff depleted uranium in the core and each reactor would be capable of producing upto 50kg of plutonium every year. Therefore it's dangerous and pie in the sky. I'm guessing he didn't leave his job voluntarily and is a touch bitter. He said RR. didn't have the manufacturing facilities but surely that's why the programme has been syndicated. Yes that's why I'm invested.

https://www.edie.net/news/6/UK-Government-kick-starts-approval-process-for-Rolls-Royce-s-small-nuclear-reactors/

It was announced on Monday (7 March) that the Department for Business, Industry and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) has requested that the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) begin the approval process for Rolls-Royce’s 470MW SMR design.

While the process typically takes around four or five years for large-scale reactor designs, it is likely to be shorter in this instance...

• Informative 3

I went for Poly and Evraz.

£10k in Poly @ 3.75 (laddered down) but mainly because I held £20k in before and sold them at £11 days before all this mess, so felt very very lucky. So I am down £5k but grateful and quite bullish considering I was nearly down £18k. This represents a very small amount of my total assets so it’s not a brave at it seems.

My Evraz was £470 ie 700 shares at 63p just because I thought I could forget about them and maybe strike it lucky in 5 years. As it happens the suspension is a blessing because the business can carry on without the constant worry that the share price hits 10p and the business is somehow compulsory purchased at a daft level. Now at least the heat is off and when it starts again it will either be no money or like a Jew offering with a rush of new shareholders based on what is a seriously big and profitable business.

Now deciding what else but I think standard UK shares during the dips will be enough for me.  

longtomsilver
8 hours ago, Pip321 said:

I went for Poly and Evraz.

£10k in Poly @ 3.75 (laddered down) but mainly because I held £20k in before and sold them at £11 days before all this mess, so felt very very lucky. So I am down £5k but grateful and quite bullish considering I was nearly down £18k. This represents a very small amount of my total assets so it’s not a brave at it seems.

My Evraz was £470 ie 700 shares at 63p just because I thought I could forget about them and maybe strike it lucky in 5 years. As it happens the suspension is a blessing because the business can carry on without the constant worry that the share price hits 10p and the business is somehow compulsory purchased at a daft level. Now at least the heat is off and when it starts again it will either be no money or like a Jew offering with a rush of new shareholders based on what is a seriously big and profitable business.

Now deciding what else but I think standard UK shares during the dips will be enough for me.  

My total loss assuming Evraz never again trades on the FTSE is £1,250! I sold polymetal for a £500 loss and invested/gambled a total of £1,750 on both stocks. This was as speculative as my Abermarle and Bond punt when I started out trading. It's a bit of fun but at the same time I got a bit carried away. Risk was priced in for a reason - I didn't bet the farm and won't lose any sleep. I'm more concerned about Ukraine than anything else. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ccc said:

Oh oh !

So what does that mean in reality ? 

That they are not listed on the FTSE indices which just means its not displayed on the shares charts that the Financial Times (FT) owns and publishes. Its still listed on the London Stock Exchange which is the important part, POLY can still be bought and sold on HL and few other places I traded POLY a few hours ago. 

• Informative 3

My guess is that it was done to protect retail investors from buying a risky share. Or in my view 'they' would rather the plebs don't make any (potentially decent) money if the shares rocket.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

That they are not listed on the FTSE indices which just means its not displayed on the shares charts that the Financial Times (FT) owns and publishes. Its still listed on the London Stock Exchange which is the important part, POLY can still be bought and sold on HL and few other places I traded POLY a few hours ago. 

6 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

My guess is that it was done to protect retail investors from buying a risky share. Or in my view 'they' would rather the plebs don't make any (potentially decent) money if the shares rocket.

Thanks for that. A little relief. 

Yes it does just seem like a spiteful anti Russian move.

If this thing gets sorted in the next month or so - there's nothing going to stop those shares from soaring - is there ?  Its the same company with the same assets / mines etc.. they had before at 10 times the price. I think...

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, ccc said:

Thanks for that. A little relief. 

Yes it does just seem like a spiteful anti Russian move.

If this thing gets sorted in the next month or so - there's nothing going to stop those shares from soaring - is there ?  Its the same company with the same assets / mines etc.. they had before at 10 times the price. I think...

My opinion is it's basically a decent company their debts are high but apart from they look fine. POLY is not really investing at this point its more like gambling TBH. I'm not sure if the price will ever get back to where it was but it might. Good luck if your holding to find out. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Plan-b said:

My opinion is it's basically a decent company their debts are high but apart from they look fine. POLY is not really investing at this point its more like gambling TBH. I'm not sure if the price will ever get back to where it was but it might. Good luck if your holding to find out. 

Only reason I was interested was I know the business is worth more than the shares value it at….but of course the risk is the shares become defunct or the business has to reshape radically so it is a gamble.

Delisting from the FTSE 250 has been done to protect investors. May even cause some selling in the short term. However increasingly I am seeing decisions being made for non financial reasons (ie political) and am happy therefore to take a risk. Of course political as well as financial decisions in a share can still lose me money 🤦🏻‍♂️

One piece of advice I would give anyone having a play is feel free to watch the ‘share’ bulletin boards but I would completely ignore them. Very amateurish attempts to influence people into selling (or buying). End up just people shouting at each other. 😆🤐