• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Russia Jehovah Witness Clampdown

Lot's of Paramilitary Police raids on the organisation in Russia, 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39508555

Russia's Supreme Court has begun hearing a government request to outlaw the Jehovah's Witnesses and declare it an extremist organisation.

The justice ministry has already placed its headquarters near St Petersburg on a list of extremist groups.

Edited by WorkingPoor

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's bonkers! JWs are pretty polite, even if not sensible. I enjoy the artwork on their pamphlets very much!

And beautifully dressed. They always look like they've come for lunch.

Wow.

Oddly I work with three JWs, it was pointed out to me by someone who had worked with more that they always work part time. I had a quick Google (didn't want to risk asking as you're then down as a potential convert) and found that they had to do, and account for, a certain number of hours a week mostly door knocking which is why they can't work full time.

They don't push it on anybody in the office, they're all perfectly nice and had I not been told that they were JWs I wouldn't have known.

So why it's been branded extremist entirely escapes me.

Edited by Frank Hovis

I've worked with a few Frank, and I've always found them very nice! And yes they do door knocking. One was my apprentice, and he certainly worked full time. And you are correct. I would not have known if I had not been told.

Seems an odd group to target. Whilst there proselytizing might be found to be annoying to some people the only danger they present is to the people who get caught up in their organisation. They are made up of mainly law abiding people who are hard workers, good citizens (as far as their religion dictates) albeit misguided.

They show quite a few hallmarks of a cult - shunning apostates, actively trying to convert etc. They'd also rather let their children die than let them have a blood transfusion or anything derived from blood. 

11 minutes ago, This Time said:

They show quite a few hallmarks of a cult - shunning apostates, actively trying to convert etc. They'd also rather let their children die than let them have a blood transfusion or anything derived from blood. 

So do many religions!

It's not Scientology and the worst that they do to non-believers is knock politely on their door on a Saturday morning.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

So do many religions!

It's not Scientology and the worst that they do to non-believers is knock politely on their door on a Saturday morning.

What about vulnerable people? 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

So do many religions!

Reminds me of a line from Mark Steel about how do you preach atheism. Do you knock on people's doors on a Sunday morning, and when they answer you say "Have you heard the bad news?" xD

3 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

What about vulnerable people? 

I don't know what they would do if somebody was obviously vulnerable.  For one they wouldn't rob them or assault them, or strap a suicide belt on them, they would presumably invite them to their meetings.

At my local church there are a small number of regular attendees who could be classed as "vulnerable".  Within the social atmosphere of the church they are looked after, get to attend social events, sing in the choir, get lifts etc.  I would certainly call that ministry rather than exploitation. 

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't know what they would do if somebody was obviously vulnerable.  For one they wouldn't rob them or assault them, or strap a suicide belt on them, they would presumably invite them to their meetings.

At my local church there are a small number of regular attendees who could be classed as "vulnerable".  Within the social atmosphere of the church they are looked after, get to attend social events, sing in the choir, get lifts etc.  I would certainly call that ministry rather than exploitation. 

Don't you have to pay money to the organisation? 

2 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Mormonism/ Scientology-lite, by all accounts. More sinister than is generally assumed.

Is Mormonism bad?  I am not a JW or a Mormon (and have never knwon any Mormons, not counting their knocking on my door as "knowing").

Scientology is the only mainstream mad one AFAIK (bar the RoP) and i have heard several disconcerting rumours. 

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

So do many religions!

Every other bloody morning here...

I think I related this on HPC, but a friend was once one short for a Call Of Warfare type marathon, so invited in a JW who just happened to knock at an opportune time. Apparently, years of repression were quickly spent..... It was scary to behold by all accounts.

I can see where they are coming from.

A really hot late 20-something approached me whilst I was sat on a bench on Swansea seafront a few years back. She was stunning. She engaged me in conversation about all sorts of things and TMT thought he was in. I even imagined the wedding and what the names of our kids would be. Then she got to her JW speil.

A neighbour of mine collapsed a few years back. I looked out of the window and there was an ambulance outside his house, the front door open and a group of about a dozen pensioners stood at his garden gate. I wanted to go over to see my neighbour to see if I could help but, seeing the group of pensioners, I assumed that they were his friends or even his family. They just stood there.

I could see another neighbour also had the same thoughts as I.

The group of pensioners were fecking JW's. Of all the places to stand they decided to stand was between an open door, where there clearly was an emergency going on inside, and an open ambulance. No empathy or thought for what was going on.

IMO this is about setting up a history of having a 'fair and non-religious-bias' in their clamping down on extreme versions of all faiths.  So when they close a mosque they can cite that they also closed down those otherwise nice Unitarians down the road for similar aspects (eg, shunning of apostates), so it clearly isn't singling out you.  

[perhaps having learnt from the US experience of bias-free-sanctions against groups that happen to be all of one faith.]

[also, there are only 20,000 of them and they're hardly 'popular' -- so there won't be a negative response in the polls (not that it matters that much in Russia)]

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I can see where they are coming from.

A really hot late 20-something approached me whilst I was sat on a bench on Swansea seafront a few years back. She was stunning. She engaged me in conversation about all sorts of things and TMT thought he was in. I even imagined the wedding and what the names of our kids would be. Then she got to her JW speil.

Flirty Fishing.  A known recruitment tool.  The Mormons love it -- just ask any male who's been to Imperial College (the main UK Mormon church is between the campus and the tube stop).

I just missed the latest installment of my DeAgostini My Little Pony art adventures thingy because there was a JW at the door same time as the postman.

44 minutes ago, dgul said:

IMO this is about setting up a history of having a 'fair and non-religious-bias' in their clamping down on extreme versions of all faiths.  So when they close a mosque they can cite that they also closed down those otherwise nice Unitarians down the road for similar aspects (eg, shunning of apostates), so it clearly isn't singling out you.  

[perhaps having learnt from the US experience of bias-free-sanctions against groups that happen to be all of one faith.]

[also, there are only 20,000 of them and they're hardly 'popular' -- so there won't be a negative response in the polls (not that it matters that much in Russia)]

I think you could be right there - Putin's response to St Petersburg was never going to be 'Islam is a religion of peace, think of the poor muslims'.