DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

New Minis

Bobthebuilder

Bobthebuilder

So, my wife has decided that she is going to buy a new Mini. That's fine by me, as I think they are decent looking cars.

Looked at S/H but decided new was best for her, she drives low miles etc.

Anyone have any experience with them? Are they decent?

longtomsilver

I like them and considered one for my next car as there's not much in it price wise between the new mini and a vw up. For the mileage I do (28k per annum) the bigger 1.5l engine was a deal breaker for me. I'll get 55mpg with the up and guessing 40-45mpg for the mini that'll add up especially at £7 gallon.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

So, my wife has decided that she is going to buy a new Mini. That's fine by me, as I think they are decent looking cars.

I quite like them but they are really only good for two people (unless you want to give Douglas Bader a lift)

• Agree 2

One percent
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Had a mki clubman, now a mkii. It ain't a mini as in it isn’t small. Finish is very good and a joy to drive. 

• Informative 1

Bobthebuilder
3 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

I like them and considered one for my next car as there's not much in it price wise between the new mini and a vw up. For the mileage I do (28k per annum) the bigger 1.5l engine was a deal breaker for me. I'll get 55mpg with the up and guessing 40-45mpg for the mini that'll add up especially at £7 gallon.

Funny enough. Swapping a VW Up for the mini.

• Cheers 1

Frank Hovis

I'm only going from what Scotty Kilmer and Car Wizard say on YT, so if you think they're idiots then ignore this, but his view is that as they are made by BMW then their engines will suffer the same issues as BMWs.

Essentially this is that there are a lot of plastic parts in the engine, for lightness meaning good handling and fuel economy, but that engine temperatures will mean that they become brittle and break.

Also, unlike Ford and Vauxhall, these engines are not reverse engineered, as in made to be easy to take apart to fix, so to replace a cracked plastic connector costing 50p will mean £100s in labour.

These problems are something that happens over time as the plastic is heated then cools; becoming increasingly brittle each time.

The rule of thumb seems to be:

0 - 3 years - no problems

4 - 6 years - plastic components will begin to break in small numbers

7+ years - all the plastic starts breaking and the costs start shooting up

As a real world correlation to this I regularly see on my local car FB older BMWs being moved on after a year, they still look good but they've begun to go wrong and the quote for the work is so big that they move it on.

Also the case for Merecedes.

Audis seem to be much less bad for this because they are sharing engines across the VWAG.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 6

Bobthebuilder
9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm only going from what Scotty Kilmer and Car Wizard say on YT, so if you think they're idiots then ignore this, but his view is that as they are made by BMW then their engines will suffer the same issues as BMWs.

Essentially this is that there are a lot of plastic parts in the engine, for lightness meaning good handling and fuel economy, but that engine temperatures will mean that they become brittle and break.

Also, unlike Ford and Vauxhall, these engines are not reverse engineered, as in made to be easy to take apart to fix, so to replace a cracked plastic connector costing 50p will mean £100s in labour.

These problems are something that happens over time as the plastic is heated then cools; becoming increasingly brittle each time.

As a real world correlation to this I regularly see on my local car FB older BMWs being moved on after a year, they still look good but they've begun to go wrong and the quote for the work is so big that they move it on.

Audis seem to be much less bad for this because they are sharing engines across the VWAG.

You get exactly the same problem with plastic parts in new gas boilers that used to be made out of brass. The boiler manufactures still sell the brass ones as a replacement, mind you.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 4

I've had many new BMWs over the years, must be close to 10 and I've never had any serious problems with them, touch wood. 

I've test driven the Mini Electric and that'd be the one to go for IMO if you've got your own company and just put your wife on it that way. If not then the Cooper or Cooper S would be my choice, the  One is very basic.

They're fairly nippy. I like them , if I was a woman I'd probably get one,  either that or a flat 500.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

One percent
7 hours ago, spunko said:

I've had many new BMWs over the years, must be close to 10 and I've never had any serious problems with them, touch wood. 

I've test driven the Mini Electric and that'd be the one to go for IMO if you've got your own company and just put your wife on it that way. If not then the Cooper or Cooper S would be my choice, the  One is very basic.

They're fairly nippy. I like them , if I was a woman I'd probably get one,  either that or a flat 500.

Er, i thought you had a thread….

Bobthebuilder

The wife placed her order today. Mini Countryman sport, British racing green with go faster stripes.

Not the model I would have bought, but it's her car.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 3

On 07/03/2022 at 07:27, onlyme said:

From what I've read scheduled oil changes / levels are critical for good engine life without problems.

Unless you get the Electric Mini, same price and the ICE ones. 

On 07/03/2022 at 11:12, Frank Hovis said:

Could be worse, you could loose 10% range on a mini electric battery pack after 100k miles, what a disaster.  Car would be a right off and new £15k battery pack needed, so i'm told by people who dont own EV's. 

Frank Hovis
48 minutes ago, markyh said:

Could be worse, you could loose 10% range on a mini electric battery pack after 100k miles, what a disaster.  Car would be a right off and new £15k battery pack needed, so i'm told by people who dont own EV's. 

Or wealthy people as they are more usually known.

• Agree 2

Bobthebuilder
3 hours ago, markyh said:

Had a look at the EV Minis while deciding what one to buy. I quite like the look of the 3 door hatch, the countryman is only available in hybrid, £10,000 more expensive than the ICE.

The other thing that put me off the EV model was the 120 - 140-mile range. That wouldn't even get me to my country estate from London, so a no-go.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2

Hail the Tripod
On 08/03/2022 at 20:07, Bobthebuilder said:

The other thing that put me off the EV model was the 120 - 140-mile range. That wouldn't even get me to my country estate from London, so a no-go.

Well if you’re too cheap to buy your country estate in the Home Counties, there isn’t much we can do to help you here. 

C5F8948F-8C38-46E0-85A2-D07B8113FB1F.jpeg

• Lol 2

One percent
20 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I like the Minis, but fucking hell, they are some price.

Not if you go by the online brokers. I got a slightly less eye watering deal. 

Bobthebuilder
49 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I like the Minis, but fucking hell, they are some price.

Yep. £40k, 1.5 lt 3 pot engine.

As a twenty something, I always thought I would be getting a Ferrari at that price. Silly young me.

• Agree 2

One percent
10 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Yep. £40k, 1.5 lt 3 pot engine.

As a twenty something, I always thought I would be getting a Ferrari at that price. Silly young me.

How much?   Have they really gone up that much?  O.o

Bobthebuilder
18 minutes ago, One percent said:

How much?   Have they really gone up that much?  O.o

It was the flash sport model. In fairness I have to say the Mini salesman found it cheaper than our base model with the extras my misses wanted.

One percent
10 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

It was the flash sport model. In fairness I have to say the Mini salesman found it cheaper than our base model with the extras my misses wanted.

Mine is an s clubby. Wanted that to avoid the three pot. Anyhow, brand new, more or less fully loaded, leather seats, upgraded sat nav screen… 25k. I went through car wow though. 

• Informative 1

Don Coglione
20 hours ago, One percent said:

Mine is an s clubby. Wanted that to avoid the three pot. Anyhow, brand new, more or less fully loaded, leather seats, upgraded sat nav screen… 25k. I went through car wow though. 

I thought you were skint?