• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Yorkshire getting fancy these days....

Yep.

Gold flaked scraps with chips.

I almost did - double booked, so brother took my place. He likes that sort of place more than I do.

Pretty impressive.

Michellin stars are given for unqiue experience.

Baclk swan virtually does everythign itself.

Thats area - SW corner of the moors has quite a number of really good eating places.

To be honest, there's more good, top end eating places in North Yorks than there is outside of London/SE.

I could easily name 20 odd exceptional places within 1h drive of Pickering.

Id struggle to do the same anywhere else but central London and (outside of) Reading.

Up here (Northumberland/Borders) they do potato fritters but mention the idea of sandwiching fish in between 2 potato slices and they look at you like a 3 headed alien. Furthest north I've seen them was a chippy in Seaton delaval back in the 90s.

1 minute ago, Kilham said:

Up here (Northumberland/Borders) they do potato fritters but mention the idea of sandwiching fish in between 2 potato slices and they look at you like a 3 headed alien. Furthest north I've seen them was a chippy in Seaton delaval back in the 90s.

The all you can eat carvery place on the seafront there is about as far from the Michelin Star experience as it's possible to get.

Still, hungry horses for three massive courses, and all that.

Just now, eight said:

The all you can eat carvery place on the seafront there is about as far from the Michelin Star experience as it's possible to get.

Still, hungry horses for three massive courses, and all that.

I did a quick check of boro on tripadvisor - you know, just to make sure I was not doing the place down.

There's a few high rated places .... apparently the parmos are great.

Doesn't matter how good it is, you won't be able to get a seat for the next 3+ years now.

Looks like one of those micro portion places where you are expected to accept that foam is food, and you leave hungry.

404-restaurant.jpg&width=600&height=400&

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I did a quick check of boro on tripadvisor - you know, just to make sure I was not doing the place down.

There's a few high rated places .... apparently the parmos are great.

And the winner for being the first to mention parmos goes to spy 😁

Do you think they would serve it if asked 

37 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Doesn't matter how good it is, you won't be able to get a seat for the next 3+ years now.

Looks like one of those micro portion places where you are expected to accept that foam is food, and you leave hungry.

404-restaurant.jpg&width=600&height=400&

Has tables available towards the end of November according to the booking thing on their website. I reckon it's a bit too far away from London to end up booked a year in advance - it's a bit of pain the arse to get to all round unless you live in the area.

20 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Has tables available towards the end of November according to the booking thing on their website. I reckon it's a bit too far away from London to end up booked a year in advance - it's a bit of pain the arse to get to all round unless you live in the area.

Thirsk. It's like another country if you live on the coast. Rather stay in town for a fish supper from my favourite chippy. 

12 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thirsk. It's like another country if you live on the coast. Rather stay in town for a fish supper from my favourite chippy. 

It's long way over the moors on a donkey-back.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Monks trod.

I still don't get why so many of them set up shop in the moors - cold, wet, crap farm land, hard to get anywhere without going up and down big hills, bugger all locals to leach off etc. It's beautiful walking and cycling territory though, the ride to Helmsley stopping at Byland Abbey en-route is one of my all time favourites (although the drag back out of Byland is pretty hellish if you're not on form).

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Its vague.

Some say potato scallop (slices of pot + chunk of fish) in batter.

Some say fish scallop.

Some say fishcake.

Ive not seen any South of Sheffield.

For me it's just "scallops"!

I haven't had any since last time I went to God's Own Country :(

4 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

For me it's just "scallops"!

I haven't had any since last time I went to God's Own Country :(

Interesting - it was always a fish cake when I had them. I was really surprised to find that fish cake darn sarf was some horrible mashed up thing in breadcrumbs.

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

Interesting - it was always a fish cake when I had them. I was really surprised to find that fish cake darn sarf was some horrible mashed up thing in breadcrumbs.

Grandad was in fandcs.

Yorkshire, but theres some variations between towns.

Fish scallop is the battered potato fush sandwich. Its to use up small off cuts if whole fish. Its quality fish but just small. I used to prefer these to battered fish. I used to help grandad make these - sluce pots, put fish in, dip in the batter bucket.

Fish cake is mush and is dirt cheap, shit. Misc. White fish mushed up.

Potato cakes can ve just that - deep fried mashed potatoe.

13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I still don't get why so many of them set up shop in the moors - cold, wet, crap farm land, hard to get anywhere without going up and down big hills, bugger all locals to leach off etc. It's beautiful walking and cycling territory though, the ride to Helmsley stopping at Byland Abbey en-route is one of my all time favourites (although the drag back out of Byland is pretty hellish if you're not on form).

Safe, from the vikings. They used to be coastal, easy commute and that. Erik put paid to that, so they moved inland.

Sea was still important.

Moors were only conquered when the train came, which is why theres srill a lot of varience in moor dialects.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Grandad was in fandcs.

Yorkshire, but theres some variations between towns.

Fish scallop is the battered potato fush sandwich. Its to use up small off cuts if whole fish. Its quality fish but just small. I used to prefer these to battered fish. I used to help grandad make these - sluce pots, put fish in, dip in the batter bucket.

Fish cake is mush and is dirt cheap, shit. Misc. White fish mushed up.

Potato cakes can ve just that - deep fried mashed potatoe.

The two chippies I most frequented (in Easingwold) only ever had the fish scallop variety but called in a fish cake. I probably had them in Thirsk as well but I don't remember what they were called there (probably "fuck off farm boy" cakes or something).

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Safe, from the vikings. They used to be coastal, easy commute and that. Erik put paid to that, so they moved inland.

Sea was still important.

Moors were only conquered when the train came, which is why theres srill a lot of varience in moor dialects.

Would that be the roper vikings the So-Called BBC are currently telling us about?