DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Are big cars going to be worthless in 6 months?

Sugarlips

Sugarlips

With fuel and car tax so high on v6 & v8’s I assume many will get SORN’d and never return?

will this provide an opportunity to get a wafting Jaaag XJS for buttons?

Edited by Sugarlips
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

With fuel and car tax so high on v6 & v8’s I assume many will get SORN’d and never return?

will this provide an opportunity to get a wafting Jaaag XJS for buttons?

Just convert them into EV's.  Problem solved. 

I like the idea of picking up a great luxurious motor cheap as chips .

Yet even with that bargain to start , with it grieves me to pay £600 per year and high insurance premiums just to have it on the road . The figures add up in total but I still cannot get my head round paying sums like that year ater year.

I have a Honda and paying £340 a year annoys me.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
9 minutes ago, Gin said:

Yet even with that bargain to start , with it grieves me to pay £600 per year and high insurance premiums just to have it on the road . The figures add up in total but I still cannot get my head round paying sums like that year ater year.

Just paid £93 fully comprehensive for a year on my Toyota MR2

• Cheers 3

22 hours ago, markyh said:

Just convert them into EV's.  Problem solved. 

Jesus fuck do you think about anything other than batteries xD

• Lol 6
  • Cheers 1

On 16/03/2022 at 07:26, Gin said:

Aye the VED is offputting. £340 I could cope with, £600 is a ripoff, and I don't see the justification for it.

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Aye the VED is offputting. £340 I could cope with, £600 is a ripoff, and I don't see the justification for it.

They are hugely polluting all their working life at the tailpipe, so should be taxed off the roads, if you want one as a tox for a few thousand miles a year, that's fine. 

57 minutes ago, markyh said:

They are hugely polluting all their working life at the tailpipe, so should be taxed off the roads, if you want one as a tox for a few thousand miles a year, that's fine. 

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis

In the late nineties / early 00s big cars were the cheap cars and the older commuter cars that I used to see were Sierras, Vectras and similar.

A similar age and mileage Fiesta always cost more than the equivalent Sierra.

Then the price of fuel shot up and the low waged who were running these old cars chucked them in so that ever since the old cars I see on the commuter routes are small ones as the fuel cost saving outweighs the more expensive price versus a big car.

I these days of 1.70 per litre of diesel and congestion charging I would suggest that you could barely give away a big engined big car over ten years old.

If that's what you want then now is a brilliant time to buy that.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Uh -huh. Colbalt used to refine fossil fuels and copper using in all ICE cars. Because all new ICE cars are enviro to build and Petrol and Diesel flow pollution free from magical wells right next to Filling stations.  😒 . I will bet all these articles are financed by the oil lobby. Sorry, i ant drinking that Kool-Aid anymore , and neither are lots of new car buyers since 2020 it seems. 

Lets see how long until the first ICE maker goes bust leaving stranded ICE owners with a  SAAB ownership experience before the decades out. 

• Lol 1

33 minutes ago, markyh said:

Uh -huh. Colbalt used to refine fossil fuels and copper using in all ICE cars. Because all new ICE cars are enviro to build and Petrol and Diesel flow pollution free from magical wells right next to Filling stations.  😒 . I will bet all these articles are financed by the oil lobby. Sorry, i ant drinking that Kool-Aid anymore , and neither are lots of new car buyers since 2020 it seems. 

Lets see how long until the first ICE maker goes bust leaving stranded ICE owners with a  SAAB ownership experience before the decades out. 

Total whataboutism

Tesla is more likely to go pop later this year or early next, than any ICE manufacturers. I can't wait

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Loki said:

Total whataboutism

Tesla is more likely to go pop later this year or early next, than any ICE manufacturers. I can't wait

Good luck with that, get you short shares. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

In the late nineties / early 00s big cars were the cheap cars and the older commuter cars that I used to see were Sierras, Vectras and similar.

A similar age and mileage Fiesta always cost more than the equivalent Sierra.

Then the price of fuel shot up and the low waged who were running these old cars chucked them in so that ever since the old cars I see on the commuter routes are small ones as the fuel cost saving outweighs the more expensive price versus a big car.

I these days of 1.70 per litre of diesel and congestion charging I would suggest that you could barely give away a big engined big car over ten years old.

If that's what you want then now is a brilliant time to buy that.

Might be. Once it's over 2 litres, an extra litre or two doesn't matter. Bigger engines usually last well, but people skimp on maintenance.

• Agree 4

Sasquatch

I am seriously looking at a 3 litre 09 plate Merc e class estate as our main big car. Probably only do 4,000 or 5,000 miles a year in it. We can get a heap of money back on our Volvo V90 and I'm thinking this is the time to chop it in. I can then tell our neighbour that I'm doing it to save the planet.

Can't believe how expensive secondhand small cars are at the moment. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Sasquatch

Interestingly I've used We Buy Any Car to get a valuation on the Volvo. I've then uploaded the details with photos to carwow and I've got lots of dealers bidding against each other to secure it. I've had to put my phone temporarily on mute due to the number of texts (one came in at 5am this morning O.o). I think this suggests that there is a serious lack of supply at the moment. As a reference point any new cars through carwow seem to be on 16 to 20 week waiting lists (minimum I should imagine!)

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3
  • Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Interestingly I've used We Buy Any Car to get a valuation on the Volvo. I've then uploaded the details with photos to carwow and I've got lots of dealers bidding against each other to secure it. I've had to put my phone temporarily on mute due to the number of texts (one came in at 5am this morning O.o). I think this suggests that there is a serious lack of supply at the moment. As a reference point any new cars through carwow seem to be on 16 to 20 week waiting lists (minimum I should imagine!)

A friend used motorway.co.uk successfully recently; she received about £4.6k when I thought even £4k would have been a result.

They value it, check you're happy with that, and then dealers bid on it as in your carwow example.

In contrast webuyanycar utterly ripped my dad off on his car because they sensed he just wanted it gone.

He did, but they weren't bright enough to ask why as they scurried around trying to find more dents to knock down the price even further.

The electrics were packing up and it didn't make it through the next MoT after he sold it to them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

Sasquatch

Might have done ok with the Mercedes. We paid £6,500. It's an E Class Estate E280cdi 09 plate (last year of that model). One owner from new. Serviced at the same Mercedes main dealer from new on a Mercedes service plan! 100,000 miles. All the old MOTS and service receipts. Even got the original bill of sale. MOT'd by the dealer the week before we bought it. More or less mint condition, inside and out. Everything works. Got just over 40mpg on the way back from picking it up (approx 100 mile journey, most on the motorway at 70mph). Aiming to only put 5,000 mile max per annum on it and try to keep it for maybe 5 years and take stock then. 

Edited by Sasquatch
added 'per annum'
  • Cheers 5

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Might have done ok with the Mercedes. We paid £6,500. It's an E Class Estate E280cdi 09 plate (last year of that model). One owner from new. Serviced at the same Mercedes main dealer from new on a Mercedes service plan! 100,000 miles. All the old MOTS and service receipts. Even got the original bill of sale. MOT'd by the dealer the week before we bought it. More or less mint condition, inside and out. Everything works. Got just over 40mpg on the way back from picking it up (approx 100 mile journey, most on the motorway at 70mph). Aiming to only put 5,000 mile max per annum on it and try to keep it for maybe 5 years and take stock then. 

What "toys" does it have?  Radar cruise control (ACC) ? Any lane keeping  / blind spot stuff / Autosteer? Auto Wipers and Lights? Mercs are usually ahead of the game especially higher end ones.

Sasquatch
2 minutes ago, markyh said:

What "toys" does it have?  Radar cruise control (ACC) ? Any lane keeping  / blind spot stuff / Autosteer? Auto Wipers and Lights? Mercs are usually ahead of the game especially higher end ones.

Not sure to be honest.

I'll have to report back on this. It was £36,000 new back in 2009 according to the original invoice.

So far, I've managed to change the time on the clock......

nirvana
On 16/03/2022 at 08:37, Wight Flight said:

Just paid £93 fully comprehensive for a year on my Toyota MR2

yeah but doesn't it cost 30 quid a month to get your hair done as well??xD

PS christ that is cheap, limited mileage?

Edited by nirvana

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah but doesn't it cost 30 quid a month to get your hair done as well??xD

PS christ that is cheap, limited mileage?

Third car on an Admiral multi car policy. That was the additional premium.

And Mrs F does the Barnet.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

DeepLurker
On 19/03/2022 at 18:46, Loki said:

Total whataboutism

Every year I hear that Tesla is about to die, guaranteed mate, trust me I know someone in the trade...

This has been going on for a decade now :)