DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chicago

Wight Flight

Sasquatch

Back in 1991, I wanted to blast along Lower Wacker Drive at 120mph in our black and white rental car but the soon to be Mrs S wouldn't let me.

• Lol 1

belfastchild

Ive went up the John Hancock tower a couple of times rather than the willis. Last time got either a day ticket or a 48 hour pass so went up as soon as it opened then back later on at sunset until after dark.
Walk along magnificent mile.
The river cruise tour is good.
Take the L train if you can, particularly round the loop.
Go see chicago board of trade building and la salle canyon for the full gotham city experience.
I thought the Bean etc was overrated. Didnt think Navy Pier was that great either.
If raining etc the trip out to the museum of science and industry was worth it, just for the submarine alone.
I went to Daley plaza but the cook county assessors office was closed. Kept hearing 'hut hut hut' in my head for some reason.

Chicago pizza pie, obviously ;-) IIRC I went to giordanos the last time.
Recommend stans donuts but there are other donut/coffee places available.

When I was younger, Chicago was one of the few places in the world I thought about moving to. More to do with the girl I was staying with but loved the city. Last time I stayed out in Wicker Park and got the train into town.

• Informative 1

Roger_Mellie
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Never been there before, but will have a few days stopover in May.

Anyone got any top tips / must dos?

I've been loads with work, but my usual work itinerary is airport, hotel, hammered, office, dinner, hammered, hotel. Repeat until I go home. So I've never actually done or seen anything therexD

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I've been loads with work, but my usual work itinerary is airport, hotel, hammered, office, dinner, hammered, hotel. Repeat until I go home. So I've never actually done or seen anything therexD

Sounds very close to my plan :Beer:

Roger_Mellie
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Sounds very close to my plan :Beer:

In that case... You might consider not staying downtown. Theres a 'village' near the airport called Rosemont, some really nice hotels, loads of shops and bars and about 30 minutes uber into downtown Chicago. Has my favourite hotel. But it does my vertigo no good at at all. Really convenient for the airport too. 

37529691_10155633444103017_3155852904363982848_n.thumb.jpg.280e5fff0aa258308124fd8af373c392.jpg

Shamone
1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

In that case... You might consider not staying downtown. Theres a 'village' near the airport called Rosemont, some really nice hotels, loads of shops and bars and about 30 minutes uber into downtown Chicago. Has my favourite hotel. But it does my vertigo no good at at all. Really convenient for the airport too. 

37529691_10155633444103017_3155852904363982848_n.thumb.jpg.280e5fff0aa258308124fd8af373c392.jpg

Reminds me of the Luxor.

• Agree 1

Shamone

Never been there before, but will have a few days stopover in May.

Anyone got any top tips / must dos?

Went on a walking tour of the first skyscrapers which was amazing. The Art Institute is supposed to be great. Amtrak station is cool.

Touristy, obvious but nonetheless fun is the restaurant on the 90th (?) floor of 875 North Michigan Ave (the Hancock building). Genuinely exceptional views if you can get a window table or go up a floor to the lounge for over-priced cocktails but that great view over the city.  

If you're wandering down North Michigan Ave anyway then worth calling in at the Inter Continental Magnificent Mile just to take a look at the marble mosaic lobby.   

• Cheers 1

Stay in town. Waste not to. I lived there for a while. If there's a game on get along to Wrigley Field. Sit with a cold beer watching the baseball. A must do. Nice area too. I stayed there. 

The El is very handy to get around. Down the shore and navy pier is pleasant. 

If there isn't a cubs game there will likely be a White Sox game on. Cubs definitely the choice but not a bad back up. 

• Informative 1

Wight Flight
24 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Went on a walking tour of the first skyscrapers which was amazing. The Art Institute is supposed to be great. Amtrak station is cool.

Yes. I have looked at a walking tour for day 1. Good way to get my bearings and local knowledge.

• Agree 1

Shamone
8 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes. I have looked at a walking tour for day 1. Good way to get my bearings and local knowledge.

We saw a Hawks ice hockey game which was ace

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
Wight Flight
On 20/03/2022 at 10:40, ccc said:

Stay in town. Waste not to. I lived there for a while. If there's a game on get along to Wrigley Field. Sit with a cold beer watching the baseball. A must do. Nice area too. I stayed there. 

The El is very handy to get around. Down the shore and navy pier is pleasant. 

If there isn't a cubs game there will likely be a White Sox game on. Cubs definitely the choice but not a bad back up. 

Booked tickets for Cubs v Dodgers. :)

Just need to learn the rules now!

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Booked tickets for Cubs v Dodgers. :)

Just need to learn the rules now!

Nice one. Lots of good bars around there. Go before the game for the atmosphere. Class part of town. Well 20 years ago. I think it still is. :Beer:

As for the rules - not important :D

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Nice one. Lots of good bars around there. Go before the game for the atmosphere. Class part of town. Well 20 years ago. I think it still is. :Beer:

As for the rules - not important :D

Hopefully the weather will be good. 1.20pm 'hit off' or whatever they call it but fear not - the full beer and hot dog experience will be enjoyed.

Hopefully the weather will be good. 1.20pm 'hit off' or whatever they call it but fear not - the full beer and hot dog experience will be enjoyed.

It's a nice month there. Can get extremely humid mid summer due to the lake. 

should be perfect sitting out weather. I'm a little jealous :Old:

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, ccc said:

It's a nice month there. Can get extremely humid mid summer due to the lake. 

should be perfect sitting out weather. I'm a little jealous :Old:

You'd be even more so if you knew which course I get to play as a practice before the US open qualifier. 

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

You'd be even more so if you knew which course I get to play as a practice before the US open qualifier. 

I've not played golf for ages. So there. Tell me again in 6 months and I may be :PissedOff:

Wight Flight
Just now, ccc said:

I've not played golf for ages. So there. Tell me again in 6 months and I may be :PissedOff:

Neither have I (Actually 6 years in my case). I am planning on four weeks intensive work on the range.

• Agree 1