DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Good brands of gas boilers

wherebee

Question

wherebee

Going to take a plunge and get a new boiler down under in Oz.

The current one is ten years old, and I'd rather get a good one in place now and get 15 more years through the green madness.  Victorian labor and greens are making all the same sort of cunting noises as you have in the UK re no more trad gas boilers, but they haven't legislated yet.  

I'd quite like to get ahead of the curve.

Non hardwater area, normal water pressure demands, family needs.

Any suggestions for what brands to avoid/prefer?

24 answers to this question

Sasquatch

Not sure about down under in terms of availability but our plumber recommended Ideal. He's installed loads of them (no financial incentive - he usually gets the customer to buy direct from the supplier so he can keep under the VAT threshold). It was installed before Christmas and appears to be a good bit of kit. Went for the Vogue system boiler with an impressive 12 year warranty. 

He used to go for Vaillant but prefers Ideal these days.

Bobthebuilder
32 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The gasman cometh

If I was going to buy my last gas boiler in light of them maybe, turning off the gas some day then it would be a Vaillant Ecotec Plus.

I see plenty of Vaillants still working that are over 20 years old. Easy to work on, service and repair. One of the few boilers that are built with a lot of thought put into maintaining them. New parts will retro fit into the older models.

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/vaillant-ecotec-plus-825-combi-boiler-with-horizontal-flue-and-nest-stat

• Informative 5
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

If I was going to buy my last gas boiler in light of them maybe, turning off the gas some day then it would be a Vaillant Ecotec Plus.

I see plenty of Vaillants still working that are over 20 years old. Easy to work on, service and repair. One of the few boilers that are built with a lot of thought put into maintaining them. New parts will retro fit into the older models.

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/vaillant-ecotec-plus-825-combi-boiler-with-horizontal-flue-and-nest-stat

Sorry for my rather CRASS reply. I have a Vaillant here. It's stopped working once. Blokey fixed it in a short time.

• Cheers 1

choochoo

I've just has an Ideal boiler installed, lots of good reviews on trade websites and just as good as Vaillant and Worcester seemingly. They are British made though, so not sure if they're available on Oz.

Is there an Australian equivalent to https://www.boxt.co.uk/?

Bobthebuilder
19 minutes ago, choochoo said:

I've just has an Ideal boiler installed, lots of good reviews on trade websites and just as good as Vaillant and Worcester seemingly. They are British made though, so not sure if they're available on Oz.

Is there an Australian equivalent to https://www.boxt.co.uk/?

Ideal are good boilers, they do the heating and hot water just the same as a Vaillant. Difference is when you take the cover off and get inside them.

Ideal have a cast Aluminum heat exchanger and a lot of the other bits are plastic.

Vaillant Ecotec plus, have a Giovanni stainless steel exchanger and the other bits are brass and copper.

They do the same job, but you cannot compare them as a piece of engineering.

• Informative 6

wherebee
7 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Ideal are good boilers, they do the heating and hot water just the same as a Vaillant. Difference is when you take the cover off and get inside them.

Ideal have a cast Aluminum heat exchanger and a lot of the other bits are plastic.

Vaillant Ecotec plus, have a Giovanni stainless steel exchanger and the other bits are brass and copper.

They do the same job, but you cannot compare them as a piece of engineering.

cheers Bob.  Have a virtual pint on me.

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
7 minutes ago, wherebee said:

cheers Bob.  Have a virtual pint on me.

Remember, the important bit is Vaillant "ECOTEC PLUS". They do a ecofit pure and ecotec pro, but they are not as good. The ecotec plus will be good for parts for over 20 years yet.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

wherebee
7 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Remember, the important bit is Vaillant "ECOTEC PLUS". They do a ecofit pure and ecotec pro, but they are not as good. The ecotec plus will be good for parts for over 20 years yet.

looks like Valliant aren't easily available in Oz.  Goddamit.  Any other ideas/

2 hours ago, wherebee said:

I've just had an Ideal Logic Max 30kw fitted.  The engineers I spoke to rated it for reliability, parts availability and ease of repair and servicing.  Comes with a 7 year warranty and was a good bit cheaper than the equivalent Worcester.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
4 hours ago, wherebee said:

Tell us what brands are available, is probably easier.

Bobthebuilder
6 hours ago, wherebee said:

plumber is saying these are 20 year quality

https://www.rinnai.com.au/

Really interesting, had a good look at their website.

I presume you live in a area with a higher average temputure than the UK, also presume you have more than 1 bathroom/ showers.

You see that type of set up in Spain / Portugal, etc, not so much in the UK.

The boilers we have been recommending to you on this thread, are not relevant to your situation and not something I deal with. Notice how they do not sell combination boilers, they are by far the most popular boiler type in the UK. You tend to see stuff like Rinnai in some new builds here.

I would take the advice from your local plumber, as he will know best.

• Agree 1

Bricormortis

I am happy with my baxi 600. It has metal bits where others use plastic composites.  The pump is grundfoss which I understand to be quality. Made in Britain.  Decent length warranties. Solid brass hydroblocks. Apparently aftercare is good, something Vallant seem to come up short on in customer reviews.

Bobthebuilder
18 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

I am happy with my baxi 600.

Good boilers the Baxi 600, they have a Giovanni heat exchanger similar to the Vaillant ecotec. Not been on the market that long, so to early to say how reliable they are. The 600 is a modern boiler, as in some parts are digital rather than mechanical, like the flow sensors etc.

Fitted a few of them myself.

Baxi also have their own dedicated training center in Dartford, Vaillant tend to contract in their service engineers.

Bus Stop Boxer
On 21/03/2022 at 22:32, Bobthebuilder said:

I was recommended one of these by one fitter but he then told me that the Vaillant service guys would look for a miniscule amount of sludge in the system to void the warranties, even if filter etc was cleaned and serviced yearly as per the terms.

I went with a Worcester eco bastard or something on the basis of the Worcester service/repair people being a lot less slippery if called out for faults under warranty.

Im not sure if theres any truth to that, hope i never put it to the test.

However the Worcester has an annoying habit of going cold when using hot water to rinse dishes on a low flow. It then takes a minute to heat water from scratch again. Does it on Eco and normal settings. I have been given the lecture by the latest service engineer that the Worcester has mucho plastic bits.

Next boiler i get will prob be electric. Prob no choice.

Sort of wish id gone down that route now, as i could now have fucked off the daily standing charge for gas entirely, and saved on re-siting flue/pipe work/boiler on other side of kitchen to meet the newer regs.

My install was so old (and vented up an old chimney) that 2 people who quoted, took pictures of it for the Installer blog, but i never found the pics of it online.

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer

Bobthebuilder
5 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Next boiler i get will prob be electric. Prob no choice.

What sort of boiler do you have know? system with a water cylinder or a combi?

Bus Stop Boxer
25 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

What sort of boiler do you have know? system with a water cylinder or a combi?

Worcester combi.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Worcester combi.

Currently, there are no electric combis in production, the problem is the calorific power of natural gas.

A small 24KW gas combi, divided by 230V is 104 Amps, that is larger than the main house fuse, and if you had a spinning disc meter it would be flying through the roof.

To go electric you would need to go back to a cylinder, that could be heated by a variety of sources, from electric, solar, heat source, back burner. You would need to achieve about 12KW for heating and a water cylinder.

• Cheers 1

Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Currently, there are no electric combis in production, the problem is the calorific power of natural gas.

A small 24KW gas combi, divided by 230V is 104 Amps, that is larger than the main house fuse, and if you had a spinning disc meter it would be flying through the roof.

To go electric you would need to go back to a cylinder, that could be heated by a variety of sources, from electric, solar, heat source, back burner. You would need to achieve about 12KW for heating and a water cylinder.

The official answer is Energy Poverty and anyone who protests is an evil climate denier.

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The official answer is Energy Poverty and anyone who protests is an evil climate denier.

I am having a solid fuel burner, fitted this summer.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

Bus Stop Boxer
12 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I was expecting to have to fit a tank for the hot water, and use the leccy boiler for the existing rads.

Even using those oil filled leccy rads with the chimney effect would at least have the advantage of a timer in every room. Rather than using the apparently shonky Hive TRVs.

I do have a working chimney (missus) so may do similar viz multi fuel stove.

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
4 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

I was expecting to have to fit a tank for the hot water, and use the leccy boiler for the existing rads.

You would probably need about 12kw for heating and cylinder, no need for any other power source.

Next winter, I would expect a small solid fuel burner to pretty much heat my small London terrace, and I will just leave the combi in for hot water.

• Cheers 1

We have a Viessmann Vitodens which I  understand is a good brand.  German made and still a family firm I believe.

I don't know about Oz but the Germans don't recommend inhibitor in their boilers and systems.  They believe inhibitor reduces the life of the boiler.  We have taken their advice, and installed a filter on the flow side and an air extractor on the return side, as an alternative.

• Agree 1