• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

The "We should all do our bit" lie

Using your car is bad.  Really, really bad and you are evil and selfish for using it.  In London the son of a bus driver is going to be charging 10 per day to dare to drive in London.

meanwhile, the rise in plane travel, the shipping of food from around the world and the having to build extra runways to facilitate all this is seen as a 'good thing'. 

That made me think of the school trip to Malawi, all unnecessarily flying there burning vast quantities of aviation fuel (and, whilst it's being phased out, some is still leaded fuel).

Then there will be a campaign to use the children to pressure their parents to use their cars less.

Austerity. We all have to work harder for longer and don't even think about a pay rise. Meanwhile we appear to have vast swathes of people being paid, through working tax credits to work part time.  We also appear to have significant numbers from abroad being paid to sit about and do nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That made me think of the school trip to Malawi, all unnecessarily flying there burning vast quantities of aviation fuel (and, whilst it's being phased out, some is still leaded fuel).

Then there will be a campaign to use the children to pressure their parents to use their cars less.

On a related note, the government raising concerns about pollution caused by aircraft whilst kicking the can and adamantly refusing to do anything about airports like Heathrow which are grossly congested and working well beyond what it was designed for

I can't remember the last time I landed in Heathrow and wasn't put in a holding pattern. Looking out of the window it's possible to see the planes stacked up, circling and waiting to land. Can be for 10 minutes can be up to an hour.

Adding up all these circling planes in a day, how many long haul flights does that equate to, flying over London alone?

Build a new damn airport.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

On a related note, the government raising concerns about pollution caused by aircraft whilst kicking the can and adamantly refusing to do anything about airports like Heathrow which are grossly congested and working well beyond what it was designed for

I can't remember the last time I landed in Heathrow and wasn't put in a holding pattern. Looking out of the window it's possible to see the planes stacked up, circling and waiting to land. Can be for 10 minutes can be up to an hour.

Adding up all these circling planes in a day, how many long haul flights does that equate to, flying over London alone?

Build a new damn airport.

Or, stop flying shit around and make sure the cost of flight reflects the environmental damage. 

These days doing your bit has been replaced by paying through the nose for everything - to an extent that people are doing their bit every minute of the day whether they like it or not.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Or, stop flying shit around and make sure the cost of flight reflects the environmental damage. 

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I'm on a train on the way to the airport to get an Easyjet flight to Geneva.

It's cost me more to get to the airport than the flight itself.

:ph34r:

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I'm on a train on the way to the airport to get an Easyjet flight to Geneva.

It's cost me more to get to the airport than the flight itself.

😱 the horror. 

Enjoy 👍

1 minute ago, One percent said:

😱 the horror. 

Enjoy 👍

Friday is stag/hen day at Manchester airport. It will be splendidly tacky.

Thankfully Geneva doesn't attract or tolerate the crowds of pissheads that make flights so enjoyable so I'll be left alone for a kip on the plane.

:Beer:

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Friday is stag/hen day at Manchester airport. It will be splendidly tacky.

Thankfully Geneva doesn't attract or tolerate the crowds of pissheads that make flights so enjoyable so I'll be left alone for a kip on the plane.

:Beer:

No screaming kids then?  

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

No screaming kids then?  

Hell no.

This is my annual four days of R&R where I head to the Alps to restore my zen-like calmness and restraint.

I'm not sure if four days will be enough.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

UK green initiatives at the cost of the taxpayer (which I'm not entirely against) that are made a mockery of when huge industrial countries like China, India and Russia are turning vast swathes of the planet into toxic wastelands and giving zero fucks in the process.

On a related note: binmen are taking less and less from the doorstep - the plan is to "encourage" people to generate less waste. The reality, of course, is more cars driving to the nearest tip - sorry, recycling centre.

When I lived in St Albans there regularly was a long Q of cars waiting to get into the recycling centre - all with engines ticking over, aircon running, etc... It's even bloody immortalised in Google Street View FFS:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7683657,-0.3201492,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk3imxz_f8T-fsCgOtq9h3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Take a look in both directions - cars as far as the eye can see. That said, I guess the pics were taken during the week - on Saturdays it would be a great long Q of 4WD blingmobiles with their 3L engines churning shite into the atmosphere >:(

The idiocy regarding food "waste" is one of my bugbears. As if we would be feeding ethiopa, if only we didn't throw so much away. Like any industrial process, 100% of the inputs don't get used by the consumer, with the difference that we are talking about raw materials that literally grow on trees. It is the world's most irrelevant "waste".

I'll throw in. Plastic carrier bags. Contributing roughly zero to pollution (in uk and developed world)

Deposits on plastic bottles. (Here in Germany and prbably coming to you soon as the next hobby horse of the "we must make life more difficult for ourselves to pay for being so lucky to be born in rich western nations" lobby). If you've seen how rubbish recyling plants work, it requires a lot of hand sorting, and plastic bottles would be the one thing that would be the absolute easiest to pick out. Would probably add. 0001p to the cost of recycling.

18 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

The idiocy regarding food "waste" is one of my bugbears. As if we would be feeding ethiopa, if only we didn't throw so much away. Like any industrial process, 100% of the inputs don't get used by the consumer, with the difference that we are talking about raw materials that literally grow on trees. It is the world's most irrelevant "waste".

I'll throw in. Plastic carrier bags. Contributing roughly zero to pollution (in uk and developed world)

Deposits on plastic bottles. (Here in Germany and prbably coming to you soon as the next hobby horse of the "we must make life more difficult for ourselves to pay for being so lucky to be born in rich western nations" lobby). If you've seen how rubbish recyling plants work, it requires a lot of hand sorting, and plastic bottles would be the one thing that would be the absolute easiest to pick out. Would probably add. 0001p to the cost of recycling.

Can we just not go back to deposits on glass bottles?  Great for a bit of extra pocket money when I was a kid. 

I do have my suspicions about the benefits of mass islamic migration into Western countries but maybe it is just me?

A couple of months ago Swansea Council decided that it no longer wanted lots of plastic recycled as the firms would not take certain plastic - so we now sort our plastic.

Seems that less and less stuff is being recycled and more goes into black bags for dumping... but the recycling fascism continues

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I do have my suspicions about the benefits of mass islamic migration into Western countries but maybe it is just me?

Wracist. It enriches our lives and what would we do without all those hardworking doctors and engineers. Without them, out NHS would cease to function. They do the jobs that lazy, feckless brits refuse to do.  They are peaceful, loving people who treat women with upmost respect  

Did i miss any of the justifications?  :)

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Wracist. It enriches our lives and what would we do without all those hardworking doctors and engineers. Without them, out NHS would cease to function. They do the jobs that lazy, feckless brits refuse to do.  They are peaceful, loving people who treat women with upmost respect  

Loads.

Christians are evil. Jews are evil. White people are evil. White Jewish Christian people have created all the evil in the world. Islam has created everything wonderful and is peaceful.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Loads.

Christians are evil. Jews are evil. White people are evil. White Jewish Christian people have created all the evil in the world. Islam has created everything wonderful and is peaceful.

Apologies, yes.  

Also, vikings were all muslim. Evidence of which was discovered yesterday 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

5 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Hell no.

This is my annual four days of R&R where I head to the Alps to restore my zen-like calmness and restraint.

I'm not sure if four days will be enough.

How I would love to be heading up the Rhone valley on a train