DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Tracing from an IP address

Wight Flight

Question

13 answers to this question

nirvana
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Thanks - I was hoping for something a bit more accurate. That puts my location 25 miles away from where I really am.

i was doing some testing last month cos I decided that ipv6 was a tool designed to totally spy on you lol

this is one website I was using https://ipv6-test.com/

i think if someone is using ip v6 it easier to pinpoint their location more accurately but not 100%

I'll rack by brains a bit more and get back....I don't use ipv6.....I'm getting fibre installled next week and will ensure I disable it :P

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

belfastchild
On 22/03/2022 at 12:16, Wight Flight said:

Anyone know any way to find a fairly accurate location from an IP address?

Try this one https://tools.keycdn.com/geo

There are other paid for tools but that one is usually ok as if it gives the hostname you can work out from there roughly where the box is if they are like virgin media and have a location identifier.

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

There are other paid for tools but that one is usually ok as if it gives the hostname you can work out from there roughly where the box is if they are like virgin media and have a location identifier.

That puts me on the North Island.

Guess this IP stuff isn't very accurate after all.

• Agree 1

belfastchild
Just now, Wight Flight said:

It depends on your isp and how many people are connected. Where I am its on the edge of suburbia so it could be a good walking distance away. In a city you could narrow it down to a few metres.

Also depends on their kit spend and fibre to the home, kerb and all that stuff, its sometimes the nearest connecting bit of kit, not your actual modem etc.

fourstarpetrol
3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Better than being on Null Island

humdrum
On 23/03/2022 at 19:11, belfastchild said:

Well it has a bit of my postcode right, but the wrong city. So overall, I don't think I need worry about big brother just yet

IP address geolocation isn't very accurate. If you're showing as 25 miles away then that is as good as you're going to get.

A good way of seeing this in action is look in the bottom footer of Google results, often it will say where they think you are (if you're not logged in). Mine is showing as Nottinghamshire...! 

If you want to geolocate with accuracy then you need to use HTML5 which utilises things like GPS, depending on the device.

For a desktop computer this isn't going to work very well. For a mobile, it will be scarily accurate i.e. within a quarter of a mile or so.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
3 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Is this something to do with early stage dementia?

To be honest I can't remember why I asked the question.

• Lol 1

15 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

To be honest I can't remember why I asked the question.

Things are getting bad when you don't know where you are anymore! I blame the years in open top hairdressers cars freezing your brain.