DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Different tyre profiles front and rear

Sasquatch

Sasquatch

One for the car nerds on the forum.

Just bought an E Class Estate. 2009 plate W211 model.

Been checking the tread on the tyres today and noted that the profiles are different between the front and rear. We've got 245/40R18 on the front and 265/35R18 on the rear. Is this something to do with rear wheel drive?

I'm more interested in comfort to be honest so will go for a thicker tyre if possible in due course.

Perfectly normal on many big RWD cars. You should generally stick to what the manufacturer specifies, though there are frequently alternative sizes that can make more economic sense. 

You could ditch the 18s, but you'd be best finding some 17" or 16"s off the same model and using those to ensure everything is right.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Andersen

Check the handbook or online, the last big german thing I had was fitted as standard with wide standard profiles at the front, superwide super low profile at the back.

It seems crazy to me but I'm sure there's a reason why they do it ... :/

• Agree 1

Sasquatch

Thanks for the replies. As you say, it looks like an option for these type of cars. There is plenty of rubber still on the tyres so they won't be changed any time soon. The tyre pressures were down at 20 to 22 psi so that won't have helped with the ride/handling.

Also remember that profile is a %, so to get a wider wheel on the back but maintain a similar sidewall, the profile number can be lower. In your case there is very little difference:

+/-3% is what is considered 'fine' in aftermarket wheel/tyre fitment calculations to maintain handling with OEM geometry, speedo error etc (though people of course do not always follow this rule).

image.png

Edited by Cosmic

I think different sized tyres on the front and rear is driven by marketing, more than engineering. You would need two spares, not that you usually get any spare nowadays.

Most motorbikes have been like this for some time. Previously there was no concept of front and rear tyres, because they were the same.

• Agree 1

King Penda
On 22/03/2022 at 18:17, Sasquatch said:

One for the car nerds on the forum.

Just bought an E Class Estate. 2009 plate W211 model.

Been checking the tread on the tyres today and noted that the profiles are different between the front and rear. We've got 245/40R18 on the front and 265/35R18 on the rear. Is this something to do with rear wheel drive?

I'm more interested in comfort to be honest so will go for a thicker tyre if possible in due course.

Sure it’s illegal for radial and cross ply but that might be an ancient law

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2022 at 21:13, King Penda said:

Sure it’s illegal for radial and cross ply but that might be an ancient law

Nobody will be using cross-ply today, I hope.