• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Would you take time off before starting a new job?

I've been with my present employer for three years. I've hardly had any time off during this period (I'm self employed).

I've been offered a new job and they want me to start asap. I'd guess there is another 5 weeks of work left with my present employer which I want to do as a matter of professional integrity. I also want a month off to travel a bit and do some DIY.

Would you guys tell the new employer "I'll see you January"?

Is there an unofficial law that you take a month plus off before starting a new job?

I know this might come across as a stupid question, however it's sometimes good to hear a different perspective.

4 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

Time off is rarely regretted...

tbh, that's my thinking. I've had literally 12 week days off this year and I've worked weekends. I type of feel I'm due a month perving at girls on a beach in Thailand/ Burma.

As above, plus don't underestimate your own value. If they want you they can wait a month, unless there's a very good reason why they need you to start immediately. As per TMTs post, I think it's very important to let employer know that you're not their bitch - employment is a agreement between two parties, not a master slave arrangement.

Mind you, I'm self employed because I'm basically unemployable, so I might not be the best person to advise. 

I can see the dilemma, I'd just be honest with the company and say what Cunning Plan has suggested. 

In many places 3 month notice periods are now the norm, if you are worth waiting a month for surely another will be no bother. 

Worst they can do is say no.

My boss came around to see me yesterday.

Bossman: I've sold 10 days of your time to XXX group at some fantastic daily rate, starting next week.

Me "okerm, so you are giving me a raise then"

Bossman: no no but it is good for my figures

Me "what about the current project"

Bossman: oh yes that's a bit tricky, perhaps you can phone in sick then sneak off to the new company, the rates are much better

Me "oh"

Bossman: or maybe I dunno put in for leave then go and work at the other firm

Me "oh"

Companies eh? Tell them Jan or you'll be overloaded.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Bossman: I've sold 10 days of your time to XXX group at some fantastic daily rate, starting next week.

Bossman: oh yes that's a bit tricky, perhaps you can phone in sick then sneak off to the new company, the rates are much better

Me "oh"

Me "oh"

xD

Now where have I heard that kind of stuff before?

Swim with the sharks.....

OP.  Tell them January and bugger off to Cambodia for a month in Nov/Dec with @JoeDavola to see @Bkkandrew, stay in his resort for a week or so then follow his directions, I suspect he will be able to ensure you both have a great time....

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Me "oh"

Me "oh"

Is your Bossman stupid or what??  ..... he should get you doing the old job in the evenings and weekends and then get top rates for the other job .... it's called a Win Win, a bit of multi-tasking. No wonder the country is in a mess.

Edited by satch

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

tbh, that's my thinking. I've had literally 12 week days off this year and I've worked weekends. I type of feel I'm due a month perving at girls on a beach in Thailand/ Burma.

Take a month off to yourself; assuming you can realistically afford to do so. I've just delivered a massive project (for which I'm only paid pleb-level money unfortunately), and I'm planning on doing sweet fa for the rest of this year (although I'll still have to be in the office a few days a week). As @The Masked Tulip points out, project based work can lead to burnout if you don't contrast the busy periods with periods where you take time to relax. Don't let burnout creep up on you.

24 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

OP.  Tell them January and bugger off to Cambodia for a month in Nov/Dec with @JoeDavola to see @Bkkandrew, stay in his resort for a week or so then follow his directions, I suspect he will be able to ensure you both have a great time....

Now that sounds like a fucking plan.

I would never start a new job without taking some time off in between unless I absolutely couldn't afford to. Also, when hiring people, I always want them to do the same if they can - I don't want someone turning up at work on their first day with their heads still full of whatever crap they were dealing with previously.

I always take a few weeks off between projects. Employers won't have a problem with it. Also sets a nice precedent showing that you think of yourself and so they can't take the piss. I find two months off ideal, as it takes a while to really wind down, but only done it twice in my career. 

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I've been with my present employer for three years. I've hardly had any time off during this period (I'm self employed).

I've been offered a new job and they want me to start asap. I'd guess there is another 5 weeks of work left with my present employer which I want to do as a matter of professional integrity. I also want a month off to travel a bit and do some DIY.

Is there an unofficial law that you take a month plus off before starting a new job?

I know this might come across as a stupid question, however it's sometimes good to hear a different perspective.

How does this work ? O.o

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I have worked on a contract basis for over 20 years so here is a few pointers.

1. Never think you are important enough that your employer won't forget about you after 2 weeks.

2. In a contract situation you look after number one, not a client who has basically finished with you.

3. 3 years is a good stint and no future employer will care about the 5 weeks.

4. Save your holidays for when there is no work.

5. If work is available forget DIY or find someone to do it for you.

If you want holidays get a staff job.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have worked on a contract basis for over 20 years so here is a few pointers.

1. Never think you are important enough that your employer won't forget about you after 2 weeks.

2. In a contract situation you look after number one, not a client who has basically finished with you.

3. 3 years is a good stint and no future employer will care about the 5 weeks.

4. Save your holidays for when there is no work.

5. If work is available forget DIY or find someone to do it for you.

If you want holidays get a staff job.

Saving holidays sounds fine in theory but people do that and end up working non stop for years chasing the $$$

Not worth it imo. I've never had a permanent job and done contract work for ten. I take time off when I feel like it. If it's in between work then perfect. But it rarely works out that way. 

Of course being amazing and having a skill that is in huge demand would mean you can pick and choose. Very few in that situation.

To the OP. Do it. I've done it myself numerous times and never regretted it. It's your life. You can't get it back. 

:D

There's no right or wrong answer..  in reality,  if they have already offered you the job it is highly unlikely they will want to start looking at alternatives just because you can't start straight away. What is a month in the grand scheme of things?  

The reason they want you to start asap is they are probably fed up of doing three peoples work between two people.. or whatever the team is,  but that's not really your problem.

From a personal point of view if you aren't desperate for the money then hell yeah..  go on holiday and make the most of it.   

Be up front with them too..  but tell them you had already booked it (you worked for yourself,  why couldn't you have booked a month off over Christmas?). If they have a massive sob story as to why they need you to start asap and you want to be a "nice guy",  you can always back down if you want to..  show that you made a supreme sacrifice to help them out and start off a hero B|

18 minutes ago, Libspero said:

There's no right or wrong answer..  in reality,  if they have already offered you the job it is highly unlikely they will want to start looking at alternatives just because you can't start straight away. What is a month in the grand scheme of things?  

The reason they want you to start asap is they are probably fed up of doing three peoples work between two people.. or whatever the team is,  but that's not really your problem.

From a personal point of view if you aren't desperate for the money then hell yeah..  go on holiday and make the most of it.   

Be up front with them too..  but tell them you had already booked it (you worked for yourself,  why couldn't you have booked a month off over Christmas?). If they have a massive sob story as to why they need you to start asap and you want to be a "nice guy",  you can always back down if you want to..  show that you made a supreme sacrifice to help them out and start off a hero B|

Thanks Libsero,

Anyone that has a member of the A team as a profile pic has to offer good advice.

Cheers.

On 10/13/2017 at 17:16, satch said:

Is your Bossman stupid or what??  ..... he should get you doing the old job in the evenings and weekends and then get top rates for the other job .... it's called a Win Win, a bit of multi-tasking. No wonder the country is in a mess.

I'm sure the idea has crossed his mind.

The thing about his whizzo plan of selling me to another company it is in a technology I'm not that proficient with, it is very complex, and bossman thought he'd sell me as an "expert". No wonder he's getting top rates, that's what they pay for experts in this domain, which I am not.

Companies are quick to bitch about people lying on their CVs but quite happy to massage those same CVs when they need to sell staff.

When I finish this current job I'm taking up to a year off to spend time with family.  After that, no more full time jobs for me - contracting only, I think.  It's just too life draining once you get older.

I think you are picking the right time of year to tell them you want to take a month off, the reality is with the rolling effect of staff holidays over Christmas there's at least 2 weeks where productivity just dips anyway. A month is sufficient for you to wind down from your previous role and be ready for your new one. 

I haven't had a month off in about 15 years or so.... i.e. since I was in school basically. I don't know what I'd do with a whole month off if I wasn't travelling; I'm so used to the structure of work.

Edited by JoeDavola

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Maybe you could, yo know, go to a foreign country and find a nice bird.

LIKE WE HAVE ALL BEEN TELLING YOU FOR TWO YEARS

xD

Hahaha!

But I've only got 21 days leave that I can use this calendar year and I'm down to my last £165,000 in the bank - I have neither the money nor the time.

Fuck I'm out of excuses aren't I? 

I don't have the balls to go over to Thailand alone - was looking at Ryanair flights from Belfast earlier and I can get to Poland for £10 each way in November, some lovely apartments on Airbnb for fuck all. But I'm assuming to find a 'nice burd' you're talking far away places like Thailand.

29 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Hahaha!

But I've only got 21 days leave that I can use this calendar year and I'm down to my last £165,000 in the bank - I have neither the money nor the time.

Fuck I'm out of excuses aren't I? 

I don't have the balls to go over to Thailand alone - was looking at Ryanair flights from Belfast earlier and I can get to Poland for £10 each way in November, some lovely apartments on Airbnb for fuck all. But I'm assuming to find a 'nice burd' you're talking far away places like Thailand.

NO. 

Got to a midsize town in midwest USA.  Look for 90+% white.  Music/fall Festival time.

http://midwestwanderer.com/festivals-fairs-2/

https://www.enjoyillinois.com/plan-your-trip/events/listing/galena-halloween-parade-and-festival

You will have beautiful farmers daughters with hair like spun gold creaming over your accent.  Stay at a small B&B/AirB&B in town, ideally run by a middle aged couple, that you can ask to introduce you to their younger circle of friends 

Of course, all their male relatives have shotguns, but being from NORN you are used to that.