DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Replacing fluorescent light with LED.

Mirror Mirror

Question

Mirror Mirror

I’ve got some lighting underneath wall mounted kitchen cupboards which shines down onto the worktops below.

The original tubes are 240v fluorescent tubes with T5 fittings. One has gone wrong, and after replacing it with similar which was very dull, I bought an LED replacement rated at 240v. When installed, this flashes (not flickers, its a regular rate) like a strobe light.

There are no transformers or dimmers and if I check the voltage in the plug to the fitting, it’s 240v. But checking across the sockets of the fittings shows 2 of them (rear, 1 each end) to be 0v and 80v across the other 2 (front, 1 each end).

Is the LED not a replacement, or do I need a different fitting, or could I just do away with any starter circuitry in the fitting, and put the 240v directly to the terminals in the sockets?

8803BE01-4F20-40EE-A438-DA7884DFB737.jpeg

Edited by Mirror Mirror

5 answers to this question

Mirror Mirror

Cheers. Unfortunately there’s more to it that that, since the LED tube has 4 pins, 2 each end, so I don’t know which 2 need the 240v ac.

Ive got the option of returning the faulty light, but don’t want to do that if it is really ok. Does putting 80v onto a 240v LED cause it to flash like a strobe? I’d have thought it would just light up dimly, if at all.

On 28/03/2022 at 18:20, Mirror Mirror said:

Cheers. Unfortunately there’s more to it that that, since the LED tube has 4 pins, 2 each end, so I don’t know which 2 need the 240v ac.

Ive got the option of returning the faulty light, but don’t want to do that if it is really ok. Does putting 80v onto a 240v LED cause it to flash like a strobe? I’d have thought it would just light up dimly, if at all.

Go and search some bigclive.com videos. He's a fairly amenable Scottish guy living on the Isle of Man. A wizard with lighting.

And spend 5 to £8 on buying a multimeter 👍

Edited by Herby
Multimeter

On 31/03/2022 at 00:31, Herby said:

Go and search some bigclive.com videos. He's a fairly amenable Scottish guy living on the Isle of Man. A wizard with lighting.

And spend 5 to £8 on buying a multimeter 👍

Everyone needs a multimeter.

• Agree 4

On 28/03/2022 at 18:20, Mirror Mirror said:

You want mains L on the pins at one end, and N on the other end, and that will solve your problem :Beer: You might have to twist the tube another rotation once it's installed as sometimes they have dummy pins with only one pin at each end being connected

Some LEDs don't even dim by simply lowering the voltage as I found out the hard way, there's a few types of LED dimming standards.  Long story short only fluoros want to work on fluoro control gear...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1