• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Bottom feeders stink of shit

In a bit of statistical climate change mischief, the humble bivalve, present on this planet since the year Devonian is fingered as a methane producing climate criminal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/10/13/oysters-mussels-produce-ridiculous-levels-gasses-causing-climate/

Scientists have warned the ocean creatures are producing large amounts of the strongest greenhouse gases - methane and nitrous oxides - from the bacteria in their guts.

Fuck off I don't give a shit you bunch of academic grant seeking toss pots from Cardiff and Stockholm Universities who reckon a tenth of all methane emissions from the Baltic Sea may be due clams and worms.

I agree wholeheartedly with pursuing the quest to gather knowledge about the mind, the planet and the universe.

Unfortunately, IMO, these days its all about funding from vested interests to pay salaries.

Toe the line, spout the accepted dogma and shut up about any independent thought and new ideas or, in most instances, the science community will black ball you! 

29 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I agree wholeheartedly with pursuing the quest to gather knowledge about the mind, the planet and the universe.

Unfortunately, IMO, these days its all about funding from vested interests to pay salaries.

Toe the line, spout the accepted dogma and shut up about any independent thought and new ideas or, in most instances, the science community will black ball you! 

There is some truth in your first two sentences at least. There are certainly a lot of biological/ecological scientists hanging on the coat-tails of climate change science and whom probably don't know whether they are studying the effects of MMGW or natural climate variability, but their results fit with 'climate change', and that's helpful to careers. funding and publications, a bandwagon. So, to your last sentence, don't question, for to question could influence carreers, and "how can you be serious about questioning this research'; having said that MMGW is a reality in my scientific opinion (as I work on it I would say that wouldn't I).

The mollusc research (incremental although it is) is worth while (if it wasn't known already) because understanding the Earth's carbon cycle is worth while.

Edited by Hopeful

16 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

There is some truth in your first two sentences at least. There are certainly a lot of biological/ecological scientists hanging on the coat-tails of climate change science and whom probably don't know whether they are studying the effects of MMGW or natural climate variability, but their results fit with 'climate change', and that's helpful to careers. funding and publications, a bandwagon. So, to your last sentence, don't dare to question, for to question is seen to undermine MMGW and to also feed the deniers, and "how can you be serious about questioning this research'; having said that MMGW is a reality in my scientific opinion (as I work on it I would say that wouldn't I).

The mollusc research (incremental although it is) is worth while (if it wasn't known already) because understanding the Earth's carbon cycle is worth while.

Fair enough re your response but I’m not referring to MMGW.

My views regardinging science failings encompass everything relating to science. IMO, it’s just a dogma these days. The only scientists that interest me are the blackballed maverick types.

Perhaps an indoctrinated scientist will make a major humanity changing breakthrough in science but IMO it’s much more likely to be a maverick type.

Edited by Economic Exile

8 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

Fair enough re your response but I’m not referring to MMGW.

My views regardinging science failings encompass everything relating to science. IMO, it’s just a dogma these days. The only scientists that interest me are the blackballed maverick types.

Perhaps an indoctrinated scientist will make a major humanity changing breakthrough in science but IMO it’s much more likely to be a maverick type.

'Maverick' science should be difficult and need to be robustly defended as you are going against conventional wisdom. The problem is that whereas being a maverick in the past just excluded you from dining clubs, it can now also exclude you from a salary.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I like pickled mussels, but it's not very Jewish. Must be me Cockerney genes.:o

Those Parsons ones are the best - though Lidl's are a very close second.

The vinegar in Parsons is superb. If you don't drink it from the jar after you've eaten the mussels, then you are a shandy-drinking poof...!

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Those Parsons ones are the best - though Lidl's are a very close second.

The vinegar in Parsons is superb. If you don't drink it from the jar after you've eaten the mussels, then you are a shandy-drinking poof...!

XYY

I put in on me chips!

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I put in on me chips!

Never tried it on chips - may be a bit sweet, but I'll give it a go.

I do use the vinegar from jars of pickled onions on chips - a habit I picked-up from my mother, who would never use malt vinegar on them.

Once the pickles were eaten - the lid was pierced in two places with a knife. One to let the vinegar out, one to let air in. This enabled the pickle-vinegar to be splashed on the chips from the jar.

Lush when sprinkled on well salted chip-shop chips before pouring curry sauce all over them.

Thicken a white bun with Lurpak - and make a chip sarnie out of the above.

Your taste-buds will experience their first multi-orgasm...!

XYY

I haven't done pickled onions for a few years. I usually put very hot chillies, and some garlic in with them. They are brilliant. The vinegar has to be disposed of carefully, as it is dangerous chemical waste, but I put it on chips.

23 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

In a bit of statistical climate change mischief, the humble bivalve, present on this planet since the year Devonian is fingered as a methane producing climate criminal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/10/13/oysters-mussels-produce-ridiculous-levels-gasses-causing-climate/

Scientists have warned the ocean creatures are producing large amounts of the strongest greenhouse gases - methane and nitrous oxides - from the bacteria in their guts.

Fuck off I don't give a shit you bunch of academic grant seeking toss pots from Cardiff and Stockholm Universities who reckon a tenth of all methane emissions from the Baltic Sea may be due clams and worms.

Well that made me laugh

i`ll get me coat