DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Investment advice, reblancing portfolio

Dave Bloke

Dave Bloke

Over the years I've moved around a bit and I'm just trying to track down what investments / cash I have.

I figure I have far. far too much cash. Maybe I should invest in property :-)

What would dosbodders do? Not bitcoin please. I'm looking at a 5 to 10 year horizon (up to retirement really). Should I do something about the UK private pension? I'm just over 55 yrs.

Note, these are not the real figures but relative to each other

Euros:

Cash

75 low interest account

75 high interest account (4.8%), zero risk.

Shares: 14

French Pension: 12 years (worth about 500 euros / month at 62)

UK GBP:

35 ISAS

Private Pension: 55

Company Pension: ??? - will have to check

UK State Pension: 37 years contributions

Cash: 80 UKP

Swiss CHF:

Co. Pension: 65

State Pension: ??? 5 years paid in; no idea what this is worth, can be brought to France though to consolidate with French pension but only at 67 (Swiss retirement age)

Cash: 105

Shares: 55

Are you really looking for advice? You've already curtailed crypto (imo is a must have asset class for any balanced portfolio), what else are you not going to like the sound of? Why restrict yourself to any asset class for that matter, some of my best performing would be laughed right off the forum.

You're going to have to pick your own poison, whatever you're comfortable with given your age/risk profile. You will anyway as we all have our blind spots, so you're likely only going to go with what you agree with.

With all that said,  @WICAO's mantra (his book is a must read) will likely set you in a decent direction and without it I wouldn't be where I am today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6FT93S

Personally I now find the majority of the forum's financial dogma great to get the ball rolling, however, there becomes a point where it it is mostly counterproductive.

Edited by A_P

Dave Bloke
23 hours ago, A_P said:

With all that said,  @WICAO's mantra (his book is a must read) will likely set you in a decent direction and without it I wouldn't be where I am today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6FT93S

Personally I now find the majority of the forum's financial dogma great to get the ball rolling, however, there becomes a point where it it is mostly counterproductive.

I'll have a look; thanks for the reference.

Crypto - the whole thing seems like end of days madness to me. Burning electricity to generate numbers.

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

I'll have a look; thanks for the reference.

Crypto - the whole thing seems like end of days madness to me. Burning electricity to generate numbers.

Yep totally get that. Most of modern life can seem like end of days when you start to peel the layers back. I'm certainly no crypto bro. However, it has proven to be a heavy lifter for me. I wasn't trying to steer you into crypto btw, more just to highlight its our own bias that gives us a perception that an asset class deserves a place in portfolio more than others. Plenty on here will take physical or paper silver over it as example. Or how about excluding the NASDAQ or it participants? Why exclude any of them if they have a place somewhere?

Then you have to consider complexities both for yourself or any loved ones that might inherit. Depending on age and monetary values, it may even be prudent to have someone manage it all for you. I do not really recall seeing that as much of an option discussed on here, surprisingly. I know for a fact it would be no good for my mrs to take over complicated portfolios and multiple investment accounts.

Dave Bloke
4 hours ago, A_P said:

I know for a fact it would be no good for my mrs to take over complicated portfolios and multiple investment accounts.

Sage advice that.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis

It's not advice but a sensible strategy to my mind is to first buy a (modest) home; this gives security, saves your paying rent, and isn't taken into account if you have to claim benefits. Once you have a house you can bring your outgoings down to a very small figure if required.

Then with the balance follow a variant of Warren Buffet's advice below; tweaked to recognise that you don't live in the US.

His recent letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders reveals that he, upon his passing, has directed the trustee for his wife's benefit to “put 10% of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund.”

• Informative 1