DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

A new pond

spunko

Lately I've been digging a new pond to assist with drainage in my garden/land. Half of it floods every year so I'm hoping this will help. I've not lined it because it's thick clay and already is starting to fill up naturally... The problem is, it looks a bit shit. In particular the grading I attempted to do with the mini digger. I had assumed that I could just get out a landscape rake and sort it but the chunks of soil/clay are too big.

Anyone know what my options are, besides waiting for nature to break it down (could take years)? I was thinking of spreading some compost on top, but this wouldn't be cheap. Or hiring a rotivator type thing, to break it down quickly. At the moment it looks like a building site rather than a pond.

• Agree 1

nirvana
18 minutes ago, One percent said:

Make sure it’s deep enough to hide the bodies and don’t forget to tie them down.  :)

that's what the well is for xD

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Sasquatch

We're going to create a pond in the garden. I am hoping to avoid the mini digger @spunko design aesthetic. Where are the photos? :)

Had looked into the puddled clay option but understand that it's vital to a void any drying out. Artificial lining material is quite expensive though. We have a natural slope in the garden and if not too expensive might try to get a small stream/waterfall thing going. 

nirvana

creeping jenny is nice and this, Mimulus puniceus

download (4).jpeg

Edited by nirvana

Clay goes from sludge to rock so quickly, think it would be tricky with a rotavator. Could let it dry and just smash the large clods up - big lumps of clay would tend to crack or at least start cracking making that task easier. If you can get it free from landscape gardener then smother in wood chip to smooth over a bit in the short term and plant up giving the plants you want time to establish.

• Agree 2

ashestoashes

something kidney shaped with a shallow end to attract birds and wildlife, don't forget a duck house 

The Grey Man

@spunko

A great project.

I think if it is of some scale you are going to have learn by experience.

Looking at fish farming at the moment. Not for here.

To state an obvious, aeration.

Your area should be easy for solar.

• Agree 1

Great Guy

Me and my brother dug some ponds. We got something like a 13t excavator. I think the trick is to use the biggest machine you can. If you have a large machine it can sit at the side and dig the pond out.

There's an excavator nicknamed a "rubber duck". It has rubber road wheels and can be driven on roads. It probably wouldnt cost too much to hire for a couple of days. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Me and my brother dug some ponds. We got something like a 13t excavator. I think the trick is to use the biggest machine you can. If you have a large machine it can sit at the side and dig the pond out.

There's an excavator nicknamed a "rubber duck". It has rubber road wheels and can be driven on roads. It probably wouldnt cost too much to hire for a couple of days. 

I've already dug it, using a 1.5 tonne machine, it was quite easy. I got a bit carried away, it's bigger than I originally planned. Someone commented that I could turn it into one of those natural swimming pools.

I'm just not sure how to break down all the stuff that I've dug out. I'll put up some photos later.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Looked up the rubber duck,. have you ever seen one of these?

https://www.ridgwayrentals.com/nationwide-plant-hire/gps-controlled-construction-equipment/

Blimey. Not a good time to be a digger operator then.

6 hours ago, spunko said:

https://www.ridgwayrentals.com/nationwide-plant-hire/gps-controlled-construction-equipment/

It's still a person does it though ? 

I guess it just provides you details of depths etc and where boundaries are with no need to get out and measure ? 

1 hour ago, ccc said:

It's still a person does it though ? 

I guess it just provides you details of depths etc and where boundaries are with no need to get out and measure ? 

I thought that the operator was there to intervene if it starts going mental. Same with the tractors with gps, the operator is there just for safety etc. They don't ever do anything. 

16 minutes ago, spunko said:

I thought that the operator was there to intervene if it starts going mental. Same with the tractors with gps, the operator is there just for safety etc. They don't ever do anything. 

GPS isn't accurate enough. I've driven one of those for a few months. Even I had to be accurate to the cm not the metre. 

Great Guy
9 hours ago, spunko said:

GPS control in construction equipment is fairly standard on bigger jobs like motorways etc. You still need a driver, it's just he has a screen to tell him where to go and what levels to construct to..

if you hire a rubber duck it shouldn't cost too much as you dont need a low loader to deliver it. The rubber wheels mean it can drive on roads. Same with getting a "JCB", it can drive in roads etc.

Screenshot_20220406-231317_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
The Grey Man

My daughter acquired what can best be described as a large bowl with 2 gold fish. The bowl is outside.

They appear to have copulated and thin strings of eggs line the tub.

The water has developed an oily film. It did not look healthy water.

Replaced some of the water.

The fish are sedentary after recent frolics.

My bet is they eat the eggs and any fry.

No news on my pond and no point in taking photos now. Hasn't rained once since I started this thread. Must be the driest April on record?

• Agree 1

Great Guy

In new road construction we have to provide water storage. Water from the gullies flows into a tank where it is slowly released.

The road I am working on has a 1000m3 tank which is costing a million euros.... or about 1000 euro per m3.

You pond boys should be invoicing the council for water storage.