DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ridiculous heart rate when running slowly

Bear Hug

Bear Hug

I cannot run. Not literally but my heart rate appears to be too high even at a moderate pace. 

Age 43

Max heart rate according to some website: 220-43 = 177bpm

Recommended running heart rate: 50%-85% of max, or 88-150bpm. 

However, when running 3.5km at a pathetic 7.5 min/km pace, my heart rate stays above 150 all the way from the start.

Average 158, max 178: above the theoretical maximum! 

If I go any slower, it would turn into a walk.  At no point was I anywhere near my maximum but was breathing heavily and started to sweat half way through.  

Other than running, I don't generally feel unfit. Resting heart rate:65.

Cycle no problem; heart rate is rarely above 130 at the gym (mainly at 110). Except for the walk back when it races to 160 (when I am not sweating or out of breath). 

In terms of weight, I am 105kg that's for 6'2", and not all fat. 

I've tried running in the past but always gave up as I never improved much. The longest stretch was 1 year of 5km weekly runs, when it became easier but the actual time barely moved. 

Thought I'll try again now I have fitness tracker. Its stats however suggest that I may as well give up. 

I could run for half an hour at 180bpm, but would it be safe? 

45 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

I cannot run. Not literally but my heart rate appears to be too high even at a moderate pace. 

Age 43

However, when running 3.5km at a pathetic 7.5 min/km pace, my heart rate stays above 150 all the way from the start.

If I go any slower, it would turn into a walk.  At no point was I anywhere near my maximum but was breathing heavily and started to sweat half way through.  

Cycle no problem; heart rate is rarely above 130 at the gym (mainly at 110). Except for the walk back when it races to 160 (when I am not sweating or out of breath). 

I've tried running in the past but always gave up as I never improved much. The longest stretch was 1 year of 5km weekly runs, when it became easier but the actual time barely moved. 

Thought I'll try again now I have fitness tracker. Its stats however suggest that I may as well give up. 

Quite strange numbers. 

The heart rate being much higher after the gym when walking home is worth looking into. 

It should drop dramatically within a few minutes of stopping hard work. And then stay roughly there with an easy walk. 

I'm similar age and if pushing myself finish off a run or hard exercise at 160-170.

If I then walk slowly to warm down it's around 100 within two mins. It then very gradually eases off to sub 60 in maybe another ten mins. 

Definitely get the going up walking home looked into. That's not "normal". 

And no unless you are ridiculously fit 180 for 30 mins is not good. I literally couldn't do it. My body would tell me to stop or I would collapse. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Bear Hug
4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Quite strange numbers. 

The heart rate being much higher after the gym when walking home is worth looking into. 

It should drop dramatically within a few minutes of stopping hard work. And then stay roughly there with an easy walk. 

I'm similar age and if pushing myself finish off a run or hard exercise at 160-170.

If I then walk slowly to warm down it's around 100 within two mins. It then very gradually eases off to sub 60 in maybe another ten mins. 

Definitely get the going up walking home looked into. That's not "normal". 

And no unless you are ridiculously fit 180 for 30 mins is not good. I literally couldn't do it. My body would tell me to stop or I would collapse. 

Thanks. I wonder if its a measurement error from a cheap fitness tracker. 

I'll double check with a finger oxymeter. That has a pulse display on it too. Wouldn't use it at the gym but can measure during the walk back. 

• Agree 1

Bornagain
1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

Age 43

I run and rike a bike.

I am 56 yrs old, and when I participate in Park Run I go balls out all the way round.

I have worn a heart rate monitor when doing this and it is in alarm all the way round, my heart rate is in the 180-190 range.

I am 6'1" and at my fastest weigh a little under 75Kg.

You are a little bit taller than me and weigh 30 kg more.

A full size sack of potatoes weighs 25 Kg.

I hate to think what would happen to me if I had to carry an extra 30kg around whilst attempting to run, I suspect I would have a heart rate of 0 bpm.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Bear Hug
8 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

I run and rike a bike.

I am 56 yrs old, and when I participate in Park Run I go balls out all the way round.

I have worn a heart rate monitor when doing this and it is in alarm all the way round, my heart rate is in the 180-190 range.

I am 6'1" and at my fastest weigh a little under 75Kg.

You are a little bit taller than me and weigh 30 kg more.

A full size sack of potatoes weighs 25 Kg.

I hate to think what would happen to me if I had to carry an extra 30kg around whilst attempting to run, I suspect I would have a heart rate of 0 bpm.

Ok, that's pretty high. It's not just me then. 

running is much harder on your body as it's weight bearing, so can't really compare with cycling.

If you have just started running, I really don't think 150 average is abnormal at all, but the 220-age calculation is a very poor approximation.

I'm 53 max heartrate 170 but I've only seen seen this twice with a chest strap and trust the reading, both times were all out effort 5km races in very high temperatures. It really is very very difficult to get to max heart rate, you certainly couldn't sustain it for any length of time. I find it hard to get my heart rate over 160 and seeing 165+ is not something I see every week or even month.

A friend, 5 years older than me, frequently sees his heart rate 175+ 

What's your resting heart rate? I quite like the Karvonen Heart Rate Calculator, you'll have to guess your max heart rate or use the age calculation, but it should give you your zones. 80-90% of your training should be in zone 2, even if that means walking to start with. Karvonen Heart Rate Calculator (briancalkins.com)

Edited by snaga
  • Informative 1

the other possibility is tech failure, HR monitors are notorious for cadence lock, and actually reading your running cadence rather than genuine HR, you could just stop and take your pulse manually?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Bear Hug
8 minutes ago, snaga said:

the other possibility is tech failure, HR monitors are notorious for cadence lock, and actually reading your running cadence rather than genuine HR, you could just stop and take your pulse manually?

Thanks, that's a useful link. My resting heart rate as reported by my tracker is in 60-70 range.  Today it says 69, but I've seen it as low as 61 some days. 

I've never successfully measured my pulse manually. But will double check with another device

13 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Thanks, that's a useful link. My resting heart rate as reported by my tracker is in 60-70 range.  Today it says 69, but I've seen it as low as 61 some days. 

I've never successfully measured my pulse manually. But will double check with another device

Maybe you should see a doctor asap o.OxD

• Lol 1

11 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

What's your waist?

Can you do a pull up?

Bear Hug
7 minutes ago, Stuey said:

What's your waist?

Can you do a pull up?

That's disappointing. Back to 38 (from the lows of 34 as documented on keto thread). No wonder I've been picking up what can be described as 'maternity' jeans last few weeks. 

Yes, I can do 5 narrow ones at the moment. 

If you're concerned I'd get the doc to check out your heart to make sure no issues that need further investigation or treatment. I know two now ex work colleagues that died from heart failure/attack, one while out for a training run for a marathon, and both mid 30-40 and not considered unhealthy.

Try going for a walk from a rested state and see how quickly your heart rate gets noticably high. If you're out of breath then it's either lack of fitness or a potential problem. If the effort doesn't seem that bad then it's just your body coping and over time will get better at coping with a lower heart rate as either your weight or fitness improves.

If wanting to do running properly I can highly recommend the Couch to 5k NHS podcast that you listen to each session so know when to walk and when to run and it gives some tips on running form and breathing to make it easier. I used it to get back into running and could barely run for 1 minute when I started I was that out of shape after many years of neglect. It really does work to build fitness gradually so it's not about how soon you can run 30 mins/5k, but how fit for purpose you are at the end of the programme to then continue without over extending into injury.

One last thing: Are you covid vaxxed so may have 'a big heart'. :o

Edited by BoSon
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Reminds me of the guy below who is one of the youtubers I watch regularly, showing how you don't need to look like a malnutritioned african to do running:

Mark Lewis

While I'm not into the gym stuff, preferring to use nature's gym, it's free xD I do like how he puts the normality into it in terms of weight and size, as I prefer to look a normal weight than stick thin, even if it may mean my longer distance stuff isn't as easy as I'm carrying a bit more bulk than is ideal. I don't do it for the easiness.

• Informative 1

Bear Hug
34 minutes ago, BoSon said:

One last thing: Are you covid vaxxed so may have 'a big heart'. :o

No. Had covid a month ago though. Probably not relevant as I never could jog comfortably independent of my weight. It's just now I also get the bonus of being terrified by the heart rate readings. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

No. Had covid a month ago though. Probably not relevant as I never could jog comfortably independent of my weight. It's just now I also get the bonus of being terrified by the heart rate readings. 

Whilst I firmly think most of the covid impact on the heart stories are bullshit to cover up the obvious - there does seem to be some small chance it can impact people's hearts. 

Don Coglione
14 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Thanks. I wonder if its a measurement error from a cheap fitness tracker. 

I'll double check with a finger oxymeter. That has a pulse display on it too. Wouldn't use it at the gym but can measure during the walk back. 

I'm going with a dodgy monitor.

If not, fucking hell...

• Agree 1

steppensheep

I don't think the numbers are necessarily that terrifying. Some people do just have a higher max rate than the formula suggests. (Although it seems to work for me). My normal skating heart rate is about 20 points lower than my running rate (although will tend towards the same maximum, but I struggle to push myself these days).

I normally run fasted (or at least not having eaten within  a few hours) but if I have eaten or take a glucose tab (which I don't, but have tried in the past) my h.r. jumps 10 points.

I hate to mention it, but covid may have made things worse.

A basic heart rate watch seems a good idea. Mine cost less than 20quid from decathlon.

Lots of sports sites seem to suggest getting a check up at your gp before taking up sports, so I think it would be perfectly in order to check that out. I got an EKG after a funny turn once and it was zero effort, nurse wires you up and the doctor looks at the chart for 5 seconds and tells you your fine.

Edited by steppensheep
  • Informative 1

30 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

I got an EKG after a funny turn once and it was zero effort, nurse wires you up and the doctor looks at the chart for 5 seconds and tells you your fine.

If you're not feeling pukey or faint after an hour's training, you've not been pushing yourself hard enough.

To the max, and then a bit more B|

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, BoSon said:

Reminds me of the guy below who is one of the youtubers I watch regularly, showing how you don't need to look like a malnutritioned african to do running:

Mark Lewis

While I'm not into the gym stuff, preferring to use nature's gym, it's free xD I do like how he puts the normality into it in terms of weight and size, as I prefer to look a normal weight than stick thin, even if it may mean my longer distance stuff isn't as easy as I'm carrying a bit more bulk than is ideal. I don't do it for the easiness.

I think this guy takes TRT, he's open about it, even done some videos on it, so not really a "natural" role model.

• Informative 1

steppensheep
1 hour ago, Stuey said:

If you're not feeling pukey or faint after an hour's training, you've not been pushing yourself hard enough.

To the max, and then a bit more B|

Those days are gone.

Dave Bloke
18 hours ago, ccc said:

Maybe you should see a doctor asap o.OxD

You should certainly see a doctor before taking up sport if you are in your ahem... middle years.

I have a high heart rate and despite being mid 50s can get mine into the 180s cycling or running if I push it. I try not to push it too much but certainly over 150 for an hour is normal, for me. I have friends who are the same age who are reptiles and never go above 140!

Covid another factor as others have said. It is similar to glandular fever for sports people, leaves you v. tired.

Edited by Dave Bloke
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, snaga said:

I think this guy takes TRT, he's open about it, even done some videos on it, so not really a "natural" role model.

I haven't looked into why but presumed health reasons rather than wanting to juice up on the sly.

stop_the_craziness

Do the scary numbers actually correlate with how you feel?  You say your heart rate is 110-130 when you are cycling so that should give you an idea of what that feels like and whether the high rates when you are running feel "real" or not. I sometimes get seriously rogue readings from my monitor and I immediately know they are wrong because I know what working in each heart rate zone feels like.  Is is the same monitor giving you the cycling heart rates or are they from the gym bike's own readings?

It could be that the chest strap is too loose or too dry when you are running.  Or you've got it in slightly the wrong place.  Or it's the number of layers of clothes you are wearing.  Or you haven't washed it recently enough.  Apologies if all that sounds super-patronising but pretty much all the problems I have with mine are caused by those things.  You mentioned getting odd readings when walking home from the gym which again makes me think of those other factors as you will be warmer and sweatier in the gym and wearing less clothes.  If your monitor doesn't have a chest strap at all then I wouldn't trust it to be accurate enough at any time because of the method it uses to produce your readings (see article below)

Best heart rate monitor: chest straps and HR watches compared (wareable.com)

It can be safe to exercise in a high heart rate zone for an extended period of time and not die.  I recently did a time-trial effort where I kept my heart rate above 172 bpm for 35 minutes.  But it doesn't sound safe if it just randomly happens when you aren't deliberately trying to do it or if you haven't specifically trained for it.

I'm also starting to think that what @cccsaid about Covid potentially affecting the heart might have a grain of truth in it, annoyingly.

• Informative 2

6 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I sometimes get seriously rogue readings from my monitor and I immediately know they are wrong because I know what working in each heart rate zone feels like. 

Were those when you cycled past someone doing tree branch pull-ups? 

pepe-peepo.gif.35378b58abec354d9c1fcb38a11c2ec4.gif

Ps. Fewer

• Lol 1