DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What do you eat to keep yourself regular

Popuplights

Popuplights

Whilst I have been laid up I have struggled a little with my digestive system. The nurses in both hospital and the care home have been very keen on dishing out laxatives I have been less keen to actually take them I have solved the problem naturally but having bran flakes and a banana for breakfast every day an this has worked like a charm

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

One percent
3 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Whilst I have been laid up I have struggled a little with my digestive system. The nurses in both hospital and the care home have been very keen on dishing out laxatives I have been less keen to actually take them I have solved the problem naturally but having bran flakes and a banana for breakfast every day an this has worked like a charm

TMI. o.O:Sick1:

• Lol 1

stop_the_craziness
2 hours ago, One percent said:

TMI. o.O:Sick1:

I disagree.  Dietary fibre is one of my favourite topics!  Especially understanding the different purposes of soluble and insoluble fibre for the ol' microbiome.  My body runs like absolute clockwork and I am permanently astonished how little attention people give to this subject.  One of my fears of going down the Keto route was how I was going to get enough fibre whilst keeping carbs lower.

Branflakes and bananas are middling-good, but they are both relatively high in sugar for the amount of fibre they provide, although this may not be something that particularly bothers you.  And both are way better than taking laxatives which mess up the gut bacteria balance hugely.

This article lists the best lower-carb higher-fibre choices and is pretty much my daily go-to list.  Apologies that the site is American, so not only can they not spell fibre correctly, they call aubergines "eggplant" :wanker:

14 Healthy High Fiber, Low Carb Foods (healthline.com)

Flaxseed, Chia Seed, Avocado, Almonds, Coconut, Blackberries, Raspberries, Pistachios, Wheat Bran, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Asparagus, Aubergine, Cabbage

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 3

The Grey Man
3 hours ago, Popuplights said:

Good stuff.

The bowel can get addicted to long term medical laxatives.

If in doubt have a look at some with Anorexia. 

Sounds like you have found the right combo.

The basics are true as well. Keeping hydrated.

Personally, a good dose of regular fresh orange juice.

A strong coffee first thing in the morning. A tablespoon of granules, maybe a bit more.

Nice dual effect of clearing the system for the rest of the day, and pre-workout caffeine for the 6am weightlifting. A shower after means you don't end up with an arse like the infamous picture on here.

My morning routine is exemplary.

I will never be a take-a-shit-at-work idiot. 

Bear Hug
2 hours ago, Stuey said:

A strong coffee first thing in the morning. A tablespoon of granules, maybe a bit more.

Nice dual effect of clearing the system for the rest of the day, and pre-workout caffeine for the 6am weightlifting. A shower after means you don't end up with an arse like the infamous picture on here.

My morning routine is exemplary.

Add C8 MCT oil to the coffee for a proper laxative effect. MCT in a liquid form, rather than powder. The powder tastes nicer but doesn't work as a laxative. 

1 hour ago, ccc said:

A mix of apple juice and prune juice. 

Or twenty pints of Tennents. 

Whatever tickles your fancy. :Old:

A tin of prunes is utterly bowel emptying. 

• Agree 1

Stinky Wizzleteats

I don't eat a lot of fibre, and very little insoluble fibre.

Weirdly (?) a portion of potatoes every day sorts out my routine

Uncle Buck Rogers
On 10/04/2022 at 05:53, Stuey said:

It's one of my daily pleasures. Getting paid to deficate.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

All Bran, sadly none of the cheap supermarket variants seem to work.

Inulin, as I've mentioned on other threads, 1-2 teaspoons, tastes of nothing, and is 100% natural, made from chicory root. If you need to clear yourself out quickly take 3-4 teaspoons.

Sadly smoking a cigarette is about the most effective method I've found, short of laxatives.

stop_the_craziness
11 hours ago, spunko said:

Sadly smoking a cigarette is about the most effective method I've found, short of laxatives.

I have never been aware of this or ever heard anyone mention it before.  Amazing what you learn on DOSBODS

30 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I have never been aware of this or ever heard anyone mention it before.  Amazing what you learn on DOSBODS

Nicotine is one of the strongest laxatives. I think it's why smokers are thinner than non smokers.

stop_the_craziness
20 minutes ago, spunko said:

Nicotine is one of the strongest laxatives. I think it's why smokers are thinner than non smokers.

I just presumed they minimised their pie-eating opportunities by prioritising the cigarettes

Battenberg

Vegetables. I’m fine as long as I eat enough veg. Too much fibre, and I love that cardboard stuff aka All Bran, makes me worse. I have to be careful with cereals but if I have veg and salad then all is good.

The few times I’ve been in hospital I lose my routine, like my body shuts down to that side of things. Maybe that’s partly why you’re having problems. Nurses do put pressure on this stuff which certainly doesn’t help the cause.

nirvana

wtf is this 'regular' all about? I go to the loo when my body tells me too......even if I'm caught short cycling in the middle of nowhere OR I haven't had a crap for 3 days...'regular' is for eejits, do what nature tells you too....listen to your body comrades :P

12 hours ago, spunko said:

I think a strong morning coffee works this way.

You poo out a few calories before they are absorbed.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, nirvana said:

wtf is this 'regular' all about? I go to the loo when my body tells me too......even if I'm caught short cycling in the middle of nowhere OR I haven't had a crap for 3 days...'regular' is for eejits, do what nature tells you too....listen to your body comrades :P

When you hit a certain age, these things get prioritised.

• Bogged 1

14 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I just presumed they minimised their pie-eating opportunities by prioritising the cigarettes

I've gone without food in order to buy tobacco more times than I can count. The only times I've gone without baccy to buy food is during an access day when my kids were hungry and there was a chippie close by.

• 1 month later...
Hail the Tripod

50 years old, and I don’t think I have ever been constipated. Never even give it the slightest thought. I drink 15-20 cups of tea a day, maybe that keeps my digestive system running smooth.

9 hours ago, DTMark said:

This is it. This is the thread. I always knew that someone would start it eventually.

It took you long enough to find it.

Who on here is a quick or slow shitter? I'm amazed from the aurals how quick some people can drop their trousers, drop a log, clean and bounce back up. One bloke at work I think beat me having a shit while I had a slash. Unbelievable o.O

I like a nice leisurely 40 minutes to complete the job properly.