DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Meditation

haroldshand

haroldshand

After a long lay off and a conversation with a Far East nut and regular meditator  I have now returned to  meditating again for three weeks and what a massive difference, why on earth did I stop. One or two slight alterations and this time I have got back into it far quicker and better, basically stop trying too hard and AWARENESS is the only kid in town, intrusive thoughts, a bad day, distraction, adversity, all of them can be incorporated into the session now I know that.

Does anyone else here meditate?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Stinky Wizzleteats

I've never managed to establish the habit but I've given it a go a few times. TBH even when I had a run of a few weeks I didn't feel the miraculous effects you and others talk about.

Are you using an app or just going it alone?

• Informative 1

Nearest I get falls into 'mindfullness' as in focusing on the present moment, and I do that by running on challenging terrain where even a quick gaze elsewhere can mean eating dirt by not spotting a trip hazard that seems to only exist when you don't spot it beforehand. xD

For extra focus I do it at night using a headtorch so the whole world is shrunk to just the area in front I can actually see. It's a bit spooky at first as you see all the eyes from animals in the fields or wildlife, or the ponies on the local moor that always hang around near the paths.

Nature's gym is hard to beat, and it's free (rip off car parks aside). B|

Edited by BoSon
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Love 1

haroldshand
2 hours ago, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

I've never managed to establish the habit but I've given it a go a few times. TBH even when I had a run of a few weeks I didn't feel the miraculous effects you and others talk about.

I did a lot of stuff related to my thinking patterns a few decades ago which transformed my life, medication was only part of it. Problem most people have doing meditation is that they are goal orientated and strive or  or do it "to be the best" etc etc, which at that point they have failed.

If you just shut your eyes, do that finger thing a meditating people do, straight back and keep saying to yourself "relax" blah blah and hope the 15 minutes passes  asap because you are bored stiff then all you have really done is shut your eyes and you could be doing anything.

I would say just do this one thing if you want to research it and that is focus on awareness, it sounds just too simple but that is all it is, meditation is not the act it's the place you can reach, does not have to be breath or sound you focus on, it can be anything from smelling a flower to having a dump, anything you use as lone as you are AWARE.

There is one guy from Tibet who explains it really well, will try and get something for you later if I can find it

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

In the past I've tried meditation methods like TM and vipassana, but never stuck with them nor found much benefit in it either.   Recently, in conjunction with the active qigong method I do, I'm trying the meditation side.  This time, instead of the process annoying me,  I'm finding the inner quiet, enjoyable.  As to the benefits - well in 3 weeks, it's reduced my insomnia, something which has been a problem for years.  

Eventually, am hoping it'll lower my blood pressure, naturally so I can get off medication.  As yet no results on that front but I suppose it's early days.

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

stop_the_craziness
On 13/04/2022 at 15:39, BoSon said:

Nearest I get falls into 'mindfullness' as in focusing on the present moment, and I do that by running on challenging terrain where even a quick gaze elsewhere can mean eating dirt by not spotting a trip hazard that seems to only exist when you don't spot it beforehand. xD

For extra focus I do it at night using a headtorch so the whole world is shrunk to just the area in front I can actually see. It's a bit spooky at first as you see all the eyes from animals in the fields or wildlife, or the ponies on the local moor that always hang around near the paths.

This.  I don't do any formal meditation, but I do find it easy to get into that permanent state of present where everything stops being an effort and my brain just goes to a different level.  At the moment I get it on the bike, but when I was younger I played the piano and that had the same effect.  You stop being a person as such and enter a different state of being where you are sort of "inside" the music and part of it rather than feeling like you are playing it.  And now I have the same on my rides.  My friends ask me how I can ride for so long without getting bored and ask me what I think about, but time and thinking go into a different sphere so I'm sort of thinking about everything and nothing all at once, and time isn't really happening in a linear fashion so it doesn't seem like normal time passing at its normal speed, it's like entering a different dimension with different rules.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

10 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

This.  I don't do any formal meditation, but I do find it easy to get into that permanent state of present where everything stops being an effort and my brain just goes to a different level.  At the moment I get it on the bike, but when I was younger I played the piano and that had the same effect.  You stop being a person as such and enter a different state of being where you are sort of "inside" the music and part of it rather than feeling like you are playing it.  And now I have the same on my rides.  My friends ask me how I can ride for so long without getting bored and ask me what I think about, but time and thinking go into a different sphere so I'm sort of thinking about everything and nothing all at once, and time isn't really happening in a linear fashion so it doesn't seem like normal time passing at its normal speed, it's like entering a different dimension with different rules.

Some call it 'flow' or 'the zone' where you are at one with the activity without needing to think about what you're doing. Muscle memory falls into the same thing where enough practice at something means you can do it without knowing how you're doing it, like driving.

Perhaps the inner chimp that some call instinct takes over on autopilot as concentration on the task goes beyond conscious thinking.

Perhaps proof that time is relative to the focus on it so occupying the mind with something else means time is not being actively measured and therefore seems to pass differently, yet the mind is always keeping track of time via the body clock, so can wake up when you want without an alarm clock if rested enough to not sleep through. I've not had to use an alarm clock for decades and when I set one just in case I always wake up beforehand. Yet when awake and busy with a task I need an alarm clock to not forget the time if I have something else happening.

• Informative 1

haroldshand
On 13/04/2022 at 12:38, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

No, I am just keeping it as simple as I can, it's either I am observing me breathing or whats happening around me, and always just observing thoughts. I am now carrying a football around with me in the day to remind myself not to get taken over by thoughts and just to observe them:)

In the last week I have been aching to mediate which is a leap forward for me

• Cheers 1

haroldshand
On 13/04/2022 at 15:39, BoSon said:

What you explain reminds me of my swimming and diving, nothing focuses me more than being in crystal clear water, it's not even an effort, but it has only just dawned  to me in recent months that  it's probably one of those "in the moment" things that never stops for me i.e meditation 

haroldshand

I have found that for some reason I have just not been drinking much since starting meditation again, but last night I just had a few too many, not excessive, and my sleep was crap(sleeping has been great lately) and had really negative dreams and woke up at 4 am.

23 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I have found that for some reason I have just not been drinking much since starting meditation again

Maybe you need to stop?

:Beer:

B|

• Lol 1

haroldshand
1 hour ago, Stuey said:

Maybe you need to stop?

:Beer:

B|

Meditation or drinking?;)

To be honest I am starting to reach that point where I am getting bored of drinking

• 4 weeks later...
haroldshand

Have to share this as I have now gone a few months.

I have religiously stuck to my at least one 20 minutes session per day and more often it is two plus, along with constantly doing my every exercises while on the move that require constant attention but not all that difficult.

I was nagged into sticking to it and under no circumstances to stop and start and be patient. Well right now I have reached the  the point where I am constantly aware of a difference in my every day thinking and mental state, it is wonderful and really is a thing, it is a little like being zoned out.

I can categorically say  that it is not just a case of closing your eyes for 20 minutes and going om:) it really is working

• Cheers 1

Like haroldshand I've continued with the meditation.  My insomnia remains less, than it was.  It's not perfect but worthwhile continuing I think, after all it's only 15 minutes out of my day.

I do get some very physical effect from it, e.g. physical twitches.  I suppose it's also undoing some kinks in tense muscles.  It's not uncomfortable, but unusual.

haroldshand
On 15/05/2022 at 13:29, katar said:

Like haroldshand I've continued with the meditation.  My insomnia remains less, than it was.  It's not perfect but worthwhile continuing I think, after all it's only 15 minutes out of my day.

I do get some very physical effect from it, e.g. physical twitches.  I suppose it's also undoing some kinks in tense muscles.  It's not uncomfortable, but unusual.

I find my best meditating period is early in the morning as I awake and get out of bed and gets harder the later and more tired I get during the day. If I ever cannot sleep I use  it now and meditate, people need to remember the goal is not to look for relaxation though that sometimes comes with it but it's not the goal.

On first sitting down I expect nothing or want nothing and though I try to focus on the now/present I don't beat myself if I have thoughts creep in, I am aware of them and observe them

9 hours ago, haroldshand said:

I find my best meditating period is early in the morning as I awake and get out of bed and gets harder the later and more tired I get during the day. If I ever cannot sleep I use  it now and meditate, people need to remember the goal is not to look for relaxation though that sometimes comes with it but it's not the goal.

On first sitting down I expect nothing or want nothing and though I try to focus on the now/present I don't beat myself if I have thoughts creep in, I am aware of them and observe them

Likewise as I approach my fifth decade I find the getting out of bed bit more and more difficult. I also now have sound effects upon turning over :Old:

As I'm currently out to pasture on a caravan site in deepest Wales, lying there at 5am with the burds tweeting and squirrels scampering on the roof is all the meditation I need 

• Cheers 1

haroldshand
10 hours ago, Stuey said:

Likewise as I approach my fifth decade I find the getting out of bed bit more and more difficult. I also now have sound effects upon turning over :Old:

As I'm currently out to pasture on a caravan site in deepest Wales, lying there at 5am with the burds tweeting and squirrels scampering on the roof is all the meditation I need 

Pembrokeshire is on my to do list this year for some hiking

Van Lady

I became interested in mediation over 20 years. Didn’t work initially!

After reading about Buddhist meditation I made progress. I attended several weekend meditation courses at Samye Ling Buddhist Monastery located in Eskdalemuir, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland.

Very useful experiences there and feel privileged to hear personal stories of meditation paths from tutors and course attendees.

There’s lots to discuss about Buddhist philosophy and meditation but I’ve came to think of meditation over the years as observing one’s thoughts and training oneself to not overreact to them.

Something I thought very profound was when a Buddhist nun was discussing thoughts. She said it’s just a thought…..it has no substance….let it go. Very true in my experience. Of course life experiences are vastly different and some unfortunate people will find it difficult to let go of troubling thoughts due to their reality.

• Cheers 2

haroldshand
10 hours ago, Van Lady said:

After reading about Buddhist meditation I made progress. I attended several weekend meditation courses at Samye Ling Buddhist Monastery located in Eskdalemuir, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland.

Very useful experiences there and feel privileged to hear personal stories of meditation paths from tutors and course attendees.

There’s lots to discuss about Buddhist philosophy and meditation but I’ve came to think of meditation over the years as observing one’s thoughts and training oneself to not overreact to them.

Something I thought very profound was when a Buddhist nun was discussing thoughts. She said it’s just a thought…..it has no substance….let it go. Very true in my experience. Of course life experiences are vastly different and some unfortunate people will find it difficult to let go of troubling thoughts due to their reality.

Will get back to you later as I am just dashing off to a meeting, I have learnt far more this time and you MUST stick to it in the first 6 weeks, but without out doubt there are benefits

13 hours ago, Van Lady said:

2 hours ago, haroldshand said:

Will get back to you later as I am just dashing off to a meeting, I have learnt far more this time and you MUST stick to it in the first 6 weeks, but without out doubt there are benefits

This is fairly similar to just seeing everything as Clown World. Treating life as one long film in which you are the starring role...

Honk honk! 

images (49).jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

There's a few philosophies/ religions, much like that. 

It's a vast generalization, but Buddhists see the world as impermanent, but humans have the delusion that it's real, therefore don't get too tied up in it, otherwise you'll do the reincarnation thing over and over  (OK Ms VL - don't chew me up if I'm mistaken, please. ) Sikhs, would say that it's easy to miss the reality of situations if you're filled with lust, greed etc. but be a good guy and you get a better rebirth. Christians think the world is real but  "fallen" full of suffering/death, a temporary stage.  The  message being don't get too drawn into the current earthly life, as a different eternity awaits.

Over, the last couple of years I've started to see, this world differently, the clown world idea, it's  full of lies, pretence, suffering etc and so on .  I'd count myself as Orthodox christian, but there's also a good deal of sense in the analysis, that those philosophies of Indian origin provide.   The solutions to our human predicament are different.