DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Clarkson

Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror

I’ve done a search for Jeremy Clarkson, and although he seems to be mentioned on this board a lot, as far as I can tell, doesn’t have his own thread.

Not really sure if it’s worth starting one, but maybe it is, as he seems to be a bit of a ‘marmite’ character, and I couldn’t think where else to put these observations.

I generally find Clarkson very watchable and entertaining, and agree with most of what he says. I was having a quick read about him earlier (just visited Wikipedia to see how old he was), and was struck by his attitudes to government, saying‘, governments should install park benches, and that’s it’, which I agree with - if only we could have less government.

But I was struck by a couple of seemingly examples of disjointed thinking.

Apparently on the subject of Brexit, he’s a remainder, but quoted as saying, “Europe has to punish us—they can't allow us to leave without being damaged because then everyone will want to go. We don't want to go if we're going to be damaged." I’ve seen this argument before, and it’s the classic ‘abused spouse’ scenario. You kind me of know you should go, but fear the consequences.

Secondly, I noticed that although generally a Conservative supporter, he expressed support for Kier Starmer, saying he could envisage voting Labour, due to the tories handling of the covid episode. Hadn’t he noticed that Starmer supported the tories every step of the way on covid, the only complaint being that whatever the tories were doing, they weren’t doing enough of it?

The problem with Jeremy Clarkson is that his entire schtick is an act, as you allude to. Once you realise that, you tend to go off someone.

If the knuckle-dragging idiots who follow his every word and buy his crap DVDs where he blows up a caravan (again) realised this too, then his career would have been fully over by now.

Plus his car reviews are shite. The first half is some completely irrelevant story. Far better reviewers have usurped him now.

• Agree 4

Bobthebuilder

His Sunday Times columns used to be good in the early 2000s. Started with a rant about something then a paragraph slagging a car he didn't like off.

Program formats were good as well, top gear had its moments. Star in a reasonably priced car was good. That programs gone to shit since the team left / got booted off.

His early stuff was good, maybe a bit edgy for the time. The car review where he said "I hate this car so much, I am going to crash it", followed by him driving into a tree, had never been done before. Sometimes he had a very funny dry humor.

• Agree 3

Frank Hovis

He can be good and honest but a lot of the time he does things for effect.

It was very noticeable within the Top Gear challenges where they were a race that it was usually set up for him to win.

It's the frightened inner child within the loud tall man.

This one, and you have to feel sorry for him because of it:

Repton School

Clarkson has stated he was deeply unhappy at Repton School, saying that he had been a "suicidal wreck" there, having experienced extreme bullying. He alleged that:

I suffered many terrible things. I was thrown on an hourly basis into the ice plunge pool, dragged from my bed in the middle of the night and beaten, made to lick the lavatories clean and all the usual humiliations that... turn a small boy into a gibbering, sobbing, suicidal wreck... they glued my records together, snapped my compass, ate my biscuits, defecated in my tuck box and they cut my trousers in half.[10]

I really liked the classic Top Gear but rarely watched it before, when it was mostly a consumer programme, and haven't since they staffed it with idiots. 

I always realised that Clarkson was playing a role but it was enteratining, similarly James May and I don't think that I would get on with either in real life.  Funnily enough Richard Hammond, who I used to find really annoying when he was always crawling to Clarkson, became possibly the most entertaining and certainly the most genuine of the three when he had his own contract with The Grand Tour and was no longer trying to just keep his job.

• Agree 1

I think Hammond is the most 'normal'. He's the one you could sit down and have a drink or discussion with in a 'normal' way.

Edited by Errol

Option5
22 minutes ago, Errol said:

I think Hammond is the most 'normal'. He's the one you could sit down and have a drink or discussion with in a 'normal' way.

I first heard of Jeremy Clarkson when he started writing for Performance Car in the mid eighties.

Some of his articles were laugh out loud funny and his self deprecating humour was obvious. 

He may have gone a bit stale and up his own arse over the years but he's still far better than any of the clowns on Top Gear since he left.

Of the Three Amigos I think James May is the best, he's also a genuine petrol head and a nice guy to boot.

• Agree 4

They're good at what they do, presenting, and each have found a decent niche away from the cars.

Clarkson doing those war documentaries.

May doing those toy stories and telling a story around a product he rebuilds.

Hammond presenting that obstacle course gameshow.

That's from what I've seen of them since Top Gear. I certainly found those shows more interesting than The Grand Tour and new new Top Gear.

I don't care what they're really like in real life just like I don't give a rats what actors or musicians are like, it has no relevance to their job.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Option5 said:

I first heard of Jeremy Clarkson when he started writing for Performance Car in the mid eighties.

Some of his articles were laugh out loud funny and his self deprecating humour was obvious. 

He may have gone a bit stale and up his own arse over the years but he's still far better than any of the clowns on Top Gear since he left.

Of the Three Amigos I think James May is the best, he's also a genuine petrol head and a nice guy to boot.

James May should have his own show. Actually, he did have a short series called something like The Deconstructor where he took mechanical objects apart then rebuilt them. I don't think it was very successful as they only made one series.

For all the guff we hear that audiences are looking for something "different" on TV that is slow paced and relaxing, clearly the reality is very different. If his show had contained a plethora of over-the-top explosions / things getting blown up needlessly, it would have been more 'successful' I suspect.

• Agree 2

Dave Beans
On 18/04/2022 at 15:21, BoSon said:

They're good at what they do, presenting, and each have found a decent niche away from the cars.

Clarkson doing those war documentaries.

May doing those toy stories and telling a story around a product he rebuilds.

Hammond presenting that obstacle course gameshow.

That's from what I've seen of them since Top Gear. I certainly found those shows more interesting than The Grand Tour and new new Top Gear.

I don't care what they're really like in real life just like I don't give a rats what actors or musicians are like, it has no relevance to their job.

Perhaps his farming stuff is perhaps amongst the best TV that Clarkson has done.  Apparently he's fairly well revered in farming circles, as he's shown how hard it is to earn a living - his first year, he made a 100 quid profit, due to the appalling weather, which wiped out his summer.

James May did Toy Stories...he ended up building an actual sized lego house, and was involved in designing a bridge that was made from Meccano.

6 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Perhaps his farming stuff is perhaps amongst the best TV that Clarkson has done.  Apparently he's fairly well revered in farming circles, as he's shown how hard it is to earn a living - his first year, he made a 100 quid profit, due to the appalling weather, which wiped out his summer.

James May did Toy Stories...he ended up building an actual sized lego house, and was involved in designing a bridge that was made from Meccano.

Yeah seen some of those. I get the feeling Clarkson's Farm was like Top Gear, stage managed where he let disaster happen as it only affected a small acreage of his land so was still letting the pros manage the rest.

Like how he bought that massive Lamborghini tractor for the script rather than just because it had the make of a supercar.

Only watched the first episode or two so may be wrong. I didn't get onto the next episode as the preview showed them moving into animals where he was going to get some sheep (IIRC) and I don't like how farmers treat animals like stock without feelings (the clue is in the name 'livestock') and they have a pretty cruel and brutal life, especially the male sheep, cows, and chickens, and the dairy cows. Seems a miserable life all round from all those I see in fields with nothing much to do apart from eat.

He should have done what modern farmers are doing, farm solar panels and windmills. It's greener and appeases the vegans and wokerati. xD

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BoSon said:

Seems a miserable life all round from all those I see in fields with nothing much to do apart from eat.

Where as pre-domesticated cows were always participating in community galas and what not? Well, when they wern't being chased down by preditors...

• Lol 1

The Grey Man
On 18/04/2022 at 16:26, spunko said:

James May should have his own show. Actually, he did have a short series called something like The Deconstructor where he took mechanical objects apart then rebuilt them. I don't think it was very successful as they only made one series.

For all the guff we hear that audiences are looking for something "different" on TV that is slow paced and relaxing, clearly the reality is very different. If his show had contained a plethora of over-the-top explosions / things getting blown up needlessly, it would have been more 'successful' I suspect.

James May was in a short travel series about Japan.

Our Man in Japan. Seemingly on Prime.

The first time I had ever watched him. 

A very pleasant guy and also polite enough to credit the team that set the journey up.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BoSon said:

Yeah seen some of those. I get the feeling Clarkson's Farm was like Top Gear, stage managed where he let disaster happen as it only affected a small acreage of his land so was still letting the pros manage the rest.

Like how he bought that massive Lamborghini tractor for the script rather than just because it had the make of a supercar.

Only watched the first episode or two so may be wrong. I didn't get onto the next episode as the preview showed them moving into animals where he was going to get some sheep (IIRC) and I don't like how farmers treat animals like stock without feelings (the clue is in the name 'livestock') and they have a pretty cruel and brutal life, especially the male sheep, cows, and chickens, and the dairy cows. Seems a miserable life all round from all those I see in fields with nothing much to do apart from eat.

He should have done what modern farmers are doing, farm solar panels and windmills. It's greener and appeases the vegans and wokerati. xD

Andy Wilman or whatever his name is,  who left Top Gear when Clarkson did, moved to being the producer or director of the Grand Tour. I wasn't surprised to see this name also on the credits for Clarksons Farm, it had a similar feel to it ie scripted and clichéd. I reckon if Clarkson could ditch him and be himself I'd like him a bit more. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Don Coglione

I worked on the disastrous Top Gear - Live! show (not in the UK).

Clarkson was an utter, utter cunt. Such that the venue had to turn off the smoke detectors in the dressing rooms, so that he could smoke in his (we had built a smoking shelter outside, but he couldn't be arsed to use it).

James May wasn't there; Richard Hammond seemed reasonable. Clarkson and Hammond were massively hung over from a big night out, before the performance.

The show was totally shit.

• Informative 3
  • Cheers 1