• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
onlyme

T-Charge

London congestion zone - New charge on older vehicles - will be over £20 a day to drive in congestion zone, I checked mine and even though older than 2004 cut off date not Euro4, therefore charge applies. When visiting the checker site they have some very useful options - like buy a new car instead, funnily enough they don't mention not going there at all!

A sign of things to come: There's a week to go before the T-Charge - here's what you need to know about London's new £10 tariff on old cars

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-4970854/London-s-T-Charge-older-cars-need-know.html#ixzz4vlNnZKgi

From T Charge site :

Your options

From 23 October 2017, you have the following options:

• Pay the daily charge
  • Upgrade your vehicle. If you select this option, you'll need to check the Ultra Low Emission Zone standards
  • If you are a car driver you can join a car club and rent a vehicle that is not subject to the T-Charge. Find out more about Car Clubs
  • Avoid driving by walking, cycling or using public transport. 
  • You may be eligible for an exemption or discount. These are detailed further down this page

11 minutes ago, onlyme said:

London congestion zone - New charge on older vehicles - will be over £20 a day to drive in congestion zone, I checked mine and even though older than 2004 cut off date not Euro4, therefore charge applies. When visiting the checker site they have some very useful options - like buy a new car instead, funnily enough they don't mention not going there at all!

A sign of things to come: There's a week to go before the T-Charge - here's what you need to know about London's new £10 tariff on old cars

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-4970854/London-s-T-Charge-older-cars-need-know.html#ixzz4vlNnZKgi

From T Charge site :

Your options

From 23 October 2017, you have the following options:

• Pay the daily charge
  • Upgrade your vehicle. If you select this option, you'll need to check the Ultra Low Emission Zone standards
  • If you are a car driver you can join a car club and rent a vehicle that is not subject to the T-Charge. Find out more about Car Clubs
  • Avoid driving by walking, cycling or using public transport. 
  • You may be eligible for an exemption or discount. These are detailed further down this page

A ruling brought in by people who either get driven around or who get a new car given to them every three years.

No clue how the rest of us live.

Earlier this year I had to go into a "low emission" zone near London. I avoided it, but when I checked on the internet, my 20 year old Lexus V8 was exempt.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

We'll have one in Manchester before long.

All new cars have to have a mobile phone sim in them so that 'they will contact emergency services in case of accident'.  Yeah right.  I'm convinced that down the road (no pun intended), this will be used to charge per mile for every journey taken.  Bastards.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

All new cars have to have a mobile phone sim in them so that 'they will contact emergency services in case of accident'.  Yeah right.  I'm convinced that down the road (no pun intended), this will be used to charge per mile for every journey taken.  Bastards.

It is inevitable.  As more electric cars come on the road the tax take from fuel will diminish.

As it stands, the only reason that electric cars make sense is the fuel tax -- if fuel was 1/4 of the price at the pump electric (or even hybrids) wouldn't stand a chance.

But you're right to moan because of what will have to happen to make the numbers work -- if you have to pay for electric and pay for the road (all other things being equal), you'd go back to fossil fuel.  So they'll have to make it more expensive for fossil fuels (ie fuel tax and road pricing, rather than road pricing replacing fuel tax) as well.  Oh, they'll spread it out over many years, but it is coming.  As I say, it is inevitable.

I'd only suggest that it will have positive outcomes, because it'll encourage fewer people to be on the roads, and make commuting large distances crazy.  This is something we could all do with, even though we don't (necessarily) realise it.

Edited by dgul

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is inevitable.  As more electric cars come on the road the tax take from fuel will diminish.

As it stands, the only reason that electric cars make sense is the fuel tax -- if fuel was 1/4 of the price at the pump electric (or even hybrids) wouldn't stand a chance.

But you're right to moan because of what will have to happen to make the numbers work -- if you have to pay for electric and pay for the road (all other things being equal), you'd go back to fossil fuel.  So they'll have to make it more expensive for fossil fuels (ie fuel tax and road pricing, rather than road pricing replacing fuel tax) as well.  Oh, they'll spread it out over many years, but it is coming.  As I say, it is inevitable.

I'd only suggest that it will have positive outcomes, because it'll encourage fewer people to be on the roads, and make commuting large distances crazy.  This is something we could all do with, even though we don't (necessarily) realise it.

I'm predicting tin foil, rather than vinyl wraps for cars. 

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Well I don't have a new car, but a SIM can be removed, and replaced by a biscuit or mint!:CryBaby:

4 hours ago, One percent said:

If man made it man will break it ....sim cards won`t be the method it will be ANPR and they are  already in place

57 minutes ago, dgul said:

As it stands, the only reason that electric cars make sense is the fuel tax

hmmmm ... so in the future they will want to tax charging your electric car, but that's not practical when everyone can charge at home for themselves, if only there was a way to tax people charging electric cars at home through some sort of smart meter type device? now there's a thought.

I have been thinking about this, for years and years the politicians didn't give a shit about urban pollution.

Now all of a sudden its charges and zones in the major urban centres.

To me this is more to do with gentrifying the centre of cities by forcing the scruffs out or onto public transport.

Next there will be specific lanes for the special people and/or driverless cars.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have been thinking about this, for years and years the politicians didn't give a shit about urban pollution.

To me this is more to do with gentrifying the centre of cities by forcing the scruffs out or onto public transport.

Next there will be specific lanes for the special people and/or driverless cars.

ZiL lanes. It is quite successful in some parts of the world. 

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

In is an inexorable walk to separating the nouveaux elites from the rest of us. It is simply the outcome seen in Animal Farm and the political colour actually makes little difference today, except to the speed of arrival to the end point.