DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Fictitious police in old cars

MrPin

Would The Sweeney count?

1970s brown needs to make a comeback.

01~The~Sweeney.jpg

(For the anaoraks, this isn't a Cortina as I thought, it's apparently a Ford Consul GT).

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spunko said:

Ah, apparently it's a rebadged Ford Granada with some cheaper parts. A marketing exercise.

Indeed it is. But Sweeney were using cars current at the time, so don't count. I don't know which ones were called Consul, but I think it was the low spec ones.

• Agree 1

The XYY Man
10 hours ago, MrPin said:

Morse, Bergerac, Columbo, That Chinese Detective, Ray from Due South.

Any more to count?

Z Cars.

I used to be able to play the theme tune (Johnny Todd) on me trombone...!

And yes, that is a Ford Zephyr, Brian Blessed and Judi Dench appearing in the clip below...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Chewing Grass
15 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Can you beat this Mr Petomane tribute act.

The XYY Man
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Can you beat this Mr Petomane tribute act.

No.

But my ex-wife could via her fanny...

XYY

Royston
29 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Z Cars.

And yes, that is a Ford Zephyr, Brian Blessed and Judi Dench appearing in the clip below...

XYY

The two coppers at 0:30 looked like they were about to demonstrate what a progressive show this was for the time period.

• Lol 1

Option5
11 hours ago, MrPin said:

Morse, Bergerac, Columbo, That Chinese Detective, Ray from Due South.

Any more to count?

Morse Jaguar MK2 (MK1 in Endeavour)

Bergerac Triumph Roadster

Columbo Peugeot 304 cabriolet???

That Chinese detective? Never heard of it.

Ray Buick Riviera 

Another one for you:

Pie in the sky. Saab 900.

Uncle Buck Rogers

Was going to add Rockford Files but the Trans Am was of that Era. Still a badass car.

Edited by Uncle Buck Rogers
Plus, he was a P.I not the Fuzz

10 hours ago, Option5 said:

Morse Jaguar MK2 (MK1 in Endeavour)

Bergerac Triumph Roadster

Columbo Peugeot 304 cabriolet???

That Chinese detective? Never heard of it.

Ray Buick Riviera 

Another one for you:

Pie in the sky. Saab 900.

The Chinese Detective (TV Series) Morris Minor

Columbo had a Nash Metropolitan (Some sort of Austin for USA)

Option5
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

The Chinese Detective (TV Series) Morris Minor

Columbo had a Nash Metropolitan (Some sort of Austin for USA)

Peugeot 403 convertible. I wasn't sure of the number, hence the question marks in my previous post..

The Nash metropolitan was an American car built in the UK using Austin A40 mechanicals.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Peugeot 403 convertible. I wasn't sure of the number, hence the question marks in my previous post..

The Nash metropolitan was an American car built in the UK using Austin A40 mechanicals.

Although you are wise Mekon, I now have cause to doubt. Does anyone else know? Anyway it was certainly an old car.

UmBongo

Yep, Columbo's was a 1959/60 Peugeot 403 convertible.

The villains in the 1970s Columbo episodes drive some sexy cars, such as Patrick McGooghan's character in the 1975 episode "Identity Crisis" . He drives a Citroen SM in that.

Edited by UmBongo
a sentence

The XYY Man
56 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Although you are wise Mekon, I now have cause to doubt. Does anyone else know? Anyway it was certainly an old car.

The thread is flawed by you insisting the police drama must not feature cars of the period the show was set in, and then naming just about all the ones that match your criteria in your very first post.

So I stuck "Z Cars" in anyway just because I never stick to the rules - especially if they are created by a fake panda with a man's hand up its arse...!!!

;)

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

The thread is flawed by you insisting the police drama must not feature cars of the period the show was set in, and then naming just about all the ones that match your criteria in your very first post.

So I stuck "Z Cars" in anyway just because I never stick to the rules - especially if they are created by a fake panda with a man's hand up its arse...!!!

;)

XYY

Z-cars used Ford Zephyrs, hence the Z. They would have been contemporary. If a 1960s police series used model Ts, then they would have been OLD CARS.

If Robocop had used a DeSoto, then that would have been an OLD CAR.

The XYY Man
4 hours ago, MrPin said:

Z-cars used Ford Zephyrs, hence the Z. They would have been contemporary. If a 1960s police series used model Ts, then they would have been OLD CARS.

If Robocop had used a DeSoto, then that would have been an OLD CAR.

I don't care Nosferatu. I'd have also posted "The Sweeney" if spunko hadn't beat me to it.

And "Heartbeat" if you wanted fictional coppers on motorbikes that are now FUCKING OLD seeing it's 2022...!

pc_walker_on_motorbike.jpg

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

I don't care Nosferatu. I'd have also posted "The Sweeney" if spunko hadn't beat me to it.

And "Heartbeat" if you wanted fictional coppers on motorbikes that are now FUCKING OLD seeing it's 2022...!

pc_walker_on_motorbike.jpg

XYY

Heartbeat is a historical series, based in the early 60s, so doesn't count. I do like to spot the old vehicles though. Look it's a Ford Corsair, as predicted in my Holy Haynes Manual.

• Agree 1

The XYY Man
32 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Heartbeat is a historical series, based in the early 60s, so doesn't count. I do like to spot the old vehicles though. Look it's a Ford Corsair, as predicted in my Holy Haynes Manual.

OK awkward twat, I've gotcha. Inspector Gadget's "Gadgetmobile" in the 1999 movie was a 1964 Lincoln Continental convertible...

i002343.jpg

XYY

• Informative 1

The XYY Man

In "Vera" on ITV, the eponymous lead character - DCI Vera Stanhope - drives a 1996 Land Rover Defender. The show is set in the present day.

Or isn't 26 years OLD enough a car for you Sooty...???

792862476_VERA1.png.dc85fc9fc31fc70232aa3cd62684de01.png

1692416185_VERA2.png.9055993c9201e388c541800c9569a457.png

INTERESTING FACTOID: "Vera" is set in the North-East, and that scene was shot about 250 yards (as the crow flies) from where me mam lives.

XYY

@MrPin

Edited by The XYY Man

leonardratso

i think thats everything then.  Poncy cop shows for the afternoon viewers with ridiculously ancient and probably unreliable restored runabouts, where do these coppers get the time and money for these classics? somethings seriously amiss there.