Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Car ownership slip sliding away?


Frank Hovis

Recommended Posts

Frank Hovis

I can't back this up with stats but I watch a lot of YT videos about bangers / scrap cars, am in a local Facebook cars group and watch the local auction house.

I am talking about the bottom end of the market here but I see regular posts from people offering £200 - £500 for a runner with MoT and their getting no offers because even a twenty year old car with MoT is going for £600 - £800 from private sellers.

For the first time in my experience the low waged / on benefits are being priced out of cars altogether.

It's small numbers at present but I see no reason for that to do anything other than increase as people hold onto their cars until they have to be scrapped because they can't afford a newer replacement and disposable income to save to buy a car amongst the lowest waged plummets.

  • Informative 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can't back this up with stats but I watch a lot of YT videos about bangers / scrap cars, am in a local Facebook cars group and watch the local auction house.

I am talking about the bottom end of the market here but I see regular posts from people offering £200 - £500 for a runner with MoT and their getting no offers because even a twenty year old car with MoT is going for £600 - £800 from private sellers.

For the first time in my experience the low waged / on benefits are being priced out of cars altogether.

It's small numbers at present but I see no reason for that to do anything other than increase as people hold onto their cars until they have to be scrapped because they can't afford a newer replacement and disposable income to save to buy a car amongst the lowest waged plummets.

Don’t most people lease these days. A brand new car for only xxxx

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don’t most people lease these days. A brand new car for only xxxx

 

Not down yer anyway; they haven't the money.

Though it is amusing to see the second home owners in their near-universal black 4x4s trying to negotiate the narrow streets of coastal villages.

  • Agree 3
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

 

Not down yer anyway; they haven't the money.

Though it is amusing to see the second home owners in their near-universal black 4x4s trying to negotiate the narrow streets of coastal villages.

It appears to be teslas round here. Why when every road out necessitates a trip over the moors of at leasr 20 miles and the phone signal is patchy at best.  Idiots. LOOK AT MEEEE! 9_9

  • Lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can't back this up with stats but I watch a lot of YT videos about bangers / scrap cars, am in a local Facebook cars group and watch the local auction house.

I am talking about the bottom end of the market here but I see regular posts from people offering £200 - £500 for a runner with MoT and their getting no offers because even a twenty year old car with MoT is going for £600 - £800 from private sellers.

For the first time in my experience the low waged / on benefits are being priced out of cars altogether.

It's small numbers at present but I see no reason for that to do anything other than increase as people hold onto their cars until they have to be scrapped because they can't afford a newer replacement and disposable income to save to buy a car amongst the lowest waged plummets.

The car is the cheap bit. Insurance and tax are the killers.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carl Fimble
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can't back this up with stats but I watch a lot of YT videos about bangers / scrap cars, am in a local Facebook cars group and watch the local auction house.

I am talking about the bottom end of the market here but I see regular posts from people offering £200 - £500 for a runner with MoT and their getting no offers because even a twenty year old car with MoT is going for £600 - £800 from private sellers.

For the first time in my experience the low waged / on benefits are being priced out of cars altogether.

It's small numbers at present but I see no reason for that to do anything other than increase as people hold onto their cars until they have to be scrapped because they can't afford a newer replacement and disposable income to save to buy a car amongst the lowest waged plummets.

Car sharing will become a thing, like (some of) the muzzers do, it'll start off with Mercs BMWs and Audi's but we'll all be driving shared rusty Clios and we'll be happy. Eventually. 

 

God. 

  • Agree 2
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Grey Man

Drove small bangers all my driving life.

All, with the seats down at the back, get 8ft wood in and aided me in building a hell of a lot.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carl Fimble
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

The car is the cheap bit. Insurance and tax are the killers.

Insurance for younger folk, but mostly fuel. 10k miles at 50MPG is over a grand and a half a year if diesel is £1.70ish. Tax can be £0-150ish a year, our spare Bentley (Citroen C3) is only £30 a year. A £2k car that has a £500 bill, or fails it's MOT expensively can mean the cost of the car is horrific. Life changingly bad, catastrophic in fact, let's say a cambelt went due to a failed water pump bearing, or something like that.

Still. 

Not. 

Over. 

It. 

  • Agree 1
  • Lol 4
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carl Fimble
32 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Drove small bangers all my driving life.

All, with the seats down at the back, get 8ft wood in and aided me in building a hell of a lot.

Little frugal vans with easily removable seats are the future. Go long Berlingo-esque cars/vans.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Grey Man
7 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Little frugal vans with easily removable seats are the future. Go long Berlingo-esque cars/vans.

It was on my list for a bit.

 

Wife has a 1l Skoda Fabia estate. Does the job for now, whilst here.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carl Fimble
11 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

It was on my list for a bit.

 

Wife has a 1l Skoda Fabia estate. Does the job for now, whilst here.

 

Not big enough, you need 3000 litres, minimum!!

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Grey Man

True.

That beast is abroad. The UK and EU have banned it here.

As the wage slave I wont even be sodding testing it this summer.

Still I get the 1l Skoda😔

1558354712_images(2).jpeg.df758c311be35f4b87f80eab7fdebd22.jpeg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bear Hug

My observation from browsing FB marketplace

15y old cars:

£50k+ when new cars are £4k now

£10k when new cars are £1k now, £2k if automatic

Tempted sometimes but I know I'll be regretting doubling annual running costs from under £2k to £4k even though I probably can afford it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most people I assume to be on benefits/DLA are driving new cars. No end of mobility cars either being advertised in the shopping centres as well. So I wouldn't worry about car ownership too much for the benefit class.

£800 is the new £400. So not sure why one would be expecting nifty fifties still. Still £800 over a year is what £75 per month with interest? I'm sure Klarna or an equivalent can't help out there.

The difficulty I see will be for the ones perceived to be in the middle. Who want a half decent car and might not have the best financial standing to get the car/deal/package they really want/can afford. Ergo why we see a lot of pressures on the smaller class cars now.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To add the youtube effect really should not be discounted. It has ruined just about everything. Once one could have had niche hobby or find your own little area to operate in. Now everyone has to make a video about it and try and profit from it.

I understand from when I used to watch YT it completely ruined the scrap/rebuild market a few years back. Similar will be for those doing bangernomics. Only people getting a good deal will be those making the videos 9_9

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23rdian

We have been spoilt for years with dirt cheap bangers. Often with not much wrong with them. Or liveable faults anyway. 

The tax is the thing that's pissing me off more than anything now on cheap cars.

But a cheap reliable car is awesome.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/04/2022 at 08:27, A_P said:

To add the youtube effect really should not be discounted. It has ruined just about everything. Once one could have had niche hobby or find your own little area to operate in. Now everyone has to make a video about it and try and profit from it.

I understand from when I used to watch YT it completely ruined the scrap/rebuild market a few years back. Similar will be for those doing bangernomics. Only people getting a good deal will be those making the videos 9_9

I saw a comment on one of Romain Grosjean's videos - "So you need an F1 career behind you just to be a Youtuber now?"

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent

I’ve talked about these people before. He’s in his 60s, she her mid 50s. The run a b&b which i think is getting little business now the world has opened back up. They are carrying a quarter of a million IO @spygirl mortgage. A few months back he borrowed 10k to buy a motorbike that he’s never ridden as it’s too powerful for him and scared him shitless apparently. He bought it off a woman btw xD

anyhow, they have just taken delivery of a brand new bmw x3. Again it will be on tick as they don’t have a pot to piss in.  

  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

spygirl
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve talked about these people before. He’s in his 60s, she her mid 50s. The run a b&b which i think is getting little business now the world has opened back up. They are carrying a quarter of a million IO @spygirl mortgage. A few months back he borrowed 10k to buy a motorbike that he’s never ridden as it’s too powerful for him and scared him shitless apparently. He bought it off a woman btw xD

anyhow, they have just taken delivery of a brand new bmw x3. Again it will be on tick as they don’t have a pot to piss in.  

Which way did they fare?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bus Stop Boxer
On 22/04/2022 at 00:28, Carl Fimble said:

Car sharing will become a thing, like (some of) the muzzers do, it'll start off with Mercs BMWs and Audi's but we'll all be driving shared rusty Clios and we'll be happy. Eventually. 

 

God. 

Can't we all have a Hi Lux with a gun on the roof?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sugarlips

I’ve been in the market for a cheap run around for when we arrive back in a few weeks, just a stopgap car til we find what we want/need.

am interested in a 2002 Focus 1.6. Found a couple round our way with v low miles but that aside, generic bangers.

they are chasing £1400+ and WBAC are backing this up offering £1050 to flog it quick

Thing is they’re not selling, they’ve both been on my watchlist for a couple of weeks (with nothing much else coming along to trump them yet).

Might just wait til one sells then bargain hard on the other. Either way these are £500 cars in my dosbods eyes..

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

I’ve been in the market for a cheap run around for when we arrive back in a few weeks, just a stopgap car til we find what we want/need.

am interested in a 2002 Focus 1.6. Found a couple round our way with v low miles but that aside, generic bangers.

they are chasing £1400+ and WBAC are backing this up offering £1050 to flog it quick

Thing is they’re not selling, they’ve both been on my watchlist for a couple of weeks (with nothing much else coming along to trump them yet).

Might just wait til one sells then bargain hard on the other. Either way these are £500 cars in my dosbods eyes..

How long are you planning to keep the car? If anything over a month I do not think £300-£400 is all that bad. Although if you select the right car I'm sure you can keep that down.

TBH I would probably look at a car rental myself and go and get the car I wanted ASAP.

How much is your time worth? The thought of dealing with tyre quickers and WBAC is enough for me to go directly to car of choice versus buying an selling a stop-gap car.

Edited by A_P
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...