• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I suppose there are some out there that don't know what a Mufti day is. One of my work colleagues was clueless but then his kids go to some kind of Community school (which I've always assumed is code for a stabbsville high borstal type institution.

Perhaps it's just me having always attended schools in and around towns with a large military presence?  The term Mufti originated in the Army, used to describe the dressing gown and slippers worn by officers whilst off duty.

Anyway I'm a bit cross at what I see as more fucking appeasement to Islam. That's almost certainly the reason for dropping the word Mufti.

3 minutes ago, the gardener said:

My children's school are holding what they are calling a Non-uniform day on Friday. Now, ever since the year dot it has been called a Mufti Day. What is this fucking non-uniform day bullshit? It's Mufti Day, fucking Mufti day.

That is all.

They were always called non uniform days at the school my kids went to.

I had to give the kids money for the chosen charity on those days. That really pissed me off!

11 minutes ago, the gardener said:

My children's school are holding what they are calling a Non-uniform day on Friday. Now, ever since the year dot it has been called a Mufti Day. What is this fucking non-uniform day bullshit? It's Mufti Day, fucking Mufti day.

That is all.

Offence detector triggered, I repeat, offence detector triggered....

* sirens *

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mufti

I think my kids' school has now cancelled this in favour of a 'cross-dressing' day.

Got to move with the times.

32 minutes ago, the gardener said:

used to describe the dressing gown and slippers

So traditional Jim-Jams would be ok then - will suit some of the population.

It was always called non uniform day in the 80's & 90's 

never heard of mufti day! 

in fact that sounds a bit asian/ islamic? 

ah yes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mufti

The Grand Mufti (Arabicمفتي عام‎‎ muftī ʿām , "general expounder" or كبير المفتينkabīr al-muftīn , "the great of expounders") is the highest official of religious law in a Sunni or Ibadi Muslimcountry. The Grand Mufti issues legal opinions and edicts, fatwas, and interpretations of Islamic jurisprudencefor private clients or to assist judges in deciding cases. The collected opinions of the Grand Mufti serve as a valuable source of information on the practical application of Islamic law as opposed to its abstract formulation.

-----

But Mr Gardener you could be right in the fact that the casual use of the word  "mufti" may now be considered offensive ? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

I think it's the army influence.

It came in as "Dress down Friday" in the 90s and is still called that in my current workplace.

I know the term "mufti" but it's not been how the day is described.

As I just wear trousers and shirt anyway it's an effort to "dress down" so I don't usually bother.

Never heard the term Mufti day until someone referred to it in london in late 90's.  We had them in school in 70's and 80's and was always called 'non uniform days'

Recall about the sane time that kids on grange hill ( who never swore which used to irk me) were trying to make every day a non uniform day around the same time. 

They formed SAG ( student action group) which i recall was the forerunner to todays swj 'up their own arse' type young uns

6 minutes ago, Long John Silver said:

Never heard the term Mufti day until someone referred to it in london in late 90's.  We had them in school in 70's and 80's and was always called 'non uniform days'

Recall about the sane time that kids on grange hill ( who never swore which used to irk me) were trying to make every day a non uniform day around the same time. 

They formed SAG ( student action group) which i recall was the forerunner to todays swj 'up their own arse' type young uns

Yep exactly the same experience, went to school in the 70's and 80's and never heard the term, was only a girlfriend that mentioned it once, like you, in the 90's. 

No doubt it very much pre-dates that but was not in common uses where I grew up (South East)

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Wear your own clothes day.
But I always wear my own clothes.
Well you pay a pound and wear your own clothes? 

I don't pay the pound as I don't join in.  Humbug eh?

If I wore an uncomfortable uniform then a dress down / mufti / non-uniform day would be a real benefit and I'd happily pay a pound.

I don't so I don't.

I don't remember ever having dress down days at school (70's and 80's). Daughter's school did world book day (so last minute panic to find something that resembled some character) but they did have mufti days and called them that. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't pay the pound as I don't join in.  Humbug eh?

If I wore an uncomfortable uniform then a dress down / mufti / non-uniform day would be a real benefit and I'd happily pay a pound.

I don't so I don't.

My son wore his morning uniform rather than casual clothes. Quite a few of his mates did too. Always seemed a bit of a shit idea. Nag them to hell to wear uniform except for the days for charity.

Just now, Dipsy said:

I don't remember ever having dress down days at school (70's and 80's). Daughter's school did world book day (so last minute panic to find something that resembled some character) but they did have mufti days and called them that. 

I worked in a charity shop for a while and fairly frequently we had to try to find flat caps and wasitcoats suitable for victorian style orphans.

Just now, sarahbell said:

My son wore his morning uniform rather than casual clothes. Quite a few of his mates did too. Always seemed a bit of a shit idea. Nag them to hell to wear uniform except for the days for charity.

Bloody hell - they have different uniforms for before and after lunch - now that IS posh (or pointless)?

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Bloody hell - they have different uniforms for before and after lunch - now that IS posh (or pointless)?

I think I've had a stroke. I meant to write usual.

Feck. I wrote my phone number down wrong yesterday for someone too.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I think I've had a stroke. I meant to write usual.

Feck. I wrote my phone number down wrong yesterday for someone too.

In some ways I am saddened. I had envisioned some kind of smoking jacket and cravat affair for prep.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

In some ways I am saddened. I had envisioned some kind of smoking jacket and cravat affair for prep.

Oh yes that'd be awwfully nice.

At my school they used to have indoor shoes and outdoor shoes. Before my time though. But all the cloakroom coat stands had places for the shoes (and hats)

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Oh yes that'd be awwfully nice.

At my school they used to have indoor shoes and outdoor shoes. Before my time though. But all the cloakroom coat stands had places for the shoes (and hats)

We had that. Brogues for outside, Oxford for in.

Prefect Rees-Mogg was a stickler for protocol.