• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

Ebay advice required

Recommended Posts

Some of you will recall that I was planning on getting rid of my old Porsche.

Well I finally stuck it on ebay. Remember it has an electrical fault, rusted sills, hasn't been driven for a couple of years and is basically knackered.

Wife thought I was taking the piss with a reserve of £500.

The first few hours I had 10+ chancers wanting a 'buy it now' price or offering £2k cash and they could collect that day. I ignored them.

I had one bloke being very convincing about being a restoration enthusiast so he came over to take a look. He was more concerned that I might have a dog than he was about the car if you know what I mean. Don't think I want any more 'viewings'

So anyway, it is bid up to about £1,900 by guys with good feedback (breakers from the look of it) which is Ok.

The suddenly, someone with hidden feedback makes an automatic bid and then someone else with no feedback makes another automatic bid. The hidden guy bids to a max of £5,300 and the no feedback gut bids £7k. Clearly stupid.

So I try and contact then £7k bidder, get no reply and delete his bid. This drops the hidden feedback bloke back to £2k (even though I know his autobid is up to £5,300

Tonight I get a new bidder who goes up to £3,400 but keeps getting outbid by the hidden feedback bloke. New bidder has been a member since 2015 but only has 1 positive feedback (no negative). New bidder then emails me (in decent English - quite a surprise) saying it is too steep for him but keep in contact.

Question is, is the whole thing a nest of vipers? If I delete the hidden feedback guy's bid, I guess it will fall back to £2,400 from the +1 feedback guy. 

Should I just be done with it and offer it to the +1 bloke for £3k and close the thing down?

To add, I am used to doing business with retired ladies who arrange flowers at church. This sort of 'hustle' stuff is quite alien to me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

End auction early?

Set up to only get bids from better candidates?

You're always going to get money for it, so i would fuck the lot of em off, and start again.

I have done this in the past with guitars on ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd be inclined to let the bidding finish and not withdraw any more bids. Once it's finished, if the winner doesn't pay you can always offer it to the second highest bidder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, I don't know who you should sell it too...

However once you have a buyer how about not telling eBay and save their fees? They are tax dodging cunts.

Ebay are all over that now. I've been lightly reprimanded for similar.

After all, they need to pay their £1.4 million tax bill somehow.:PissedOff:

Edited by shindigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High value stuff always list as advertised elsewhere, reserve the right to end early etc. Add phone number for queries. This can help in attracting the attention of serious bidders to get in contact and view, which is what you want. Sold two cars this year on gumtree pretty quickly which is free and attracts more local buyers. Not sure what will happen with your bidders though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You maybe want to move this to the stealth forum, I found your advert on eBay. I would be tempted to just let the auction run its course, try and get as much for it as possible. I take it you're not desperate for the money, or to get rid of it though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

High value stuff always list as advertised elsewhere, reserve the right to end early etc. Add phone number for queries. This can help in attracting the attention of serious bidders to get in contact and view, which is what you want. Sold two cars this year on gumtree pretty quickly which is free and attracts more local buyers. Not sure what will happen with your bidders though.

Agreed.

Selling high value on eBay is a waste of time. 

You can let the auction run its course but its unlikely you'll sell the car. Just end up with a load of eBay fees to pay....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Green Devil said:

Agreed.

Selling high value on eBay is a waste of time. 

You can let the auction run its course but its unlikely you'll sell the car. Just end up with a load of eBay fees to pay....

Funny thing is I didn't realise it was a high value item.

You are right. It is full of scammers. Do you still pay ebay if the sale doesn't complete?

8 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

You maybe want to move this to the stealth forum, I found your advert on eBay. I would be tempted to just let the auction run its course, try and get as much for it as possible. I take it you're not desperate for the money, or to get rid of it though?

Money is always nice and yes, I do want to get it out of the way.

I don't think it needs to be stealth. I am not identified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove the post, and perhaps put a buy it now price of 3,500, and see if anyone nibbles...You do then have the luxury of dropping the price if you want to.  I typically put on higher than it would go for an auction...So if its 500 quid, chuck it on at 550...You often get it, as people dont want to hang about...

Edited by Dave Beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you can cancel the sale which the buyer must agree to (he disappears?) you get charged fees.

You also can't cancel an auction if it has bids I believe(tho there may be some exceptions tho they make it hard to do it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Funny thing is I didn't realise it was a high value item.

You are right. It is full of scammers. Do you still pay ebay if the sale doesn't complete?

Money is always nice and yes, I do want to get it out of the way.

I don't think it needs to be stealth. I am not identified?

I had a quick look, it was not obvious to me which was yours, there were loads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Unless you can cancel the sale which the buyer must agree to (he disappears?) you get charged fees.

You also can't cancel an auction if it has bids I believe(tho there may be some exceptions tho they make it hard to do it)

But you can cancel bids. I normally only sell when ebay offer the £1 deals.

So if i get some helmet that doesn't pay, i only have an issue getting back a quid.

They used to give you a listing credit in lieu of the sale fee. Not sure if thats still the case.

Bollox to that, i only list when it's a quid anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

I had a quick look, it was not obvious to me which was yours, there were loads.

I knew the colour and model from elsewhere on here, and saw another car I knew about from here in the background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

 

Money is always nice and yes, I do want to get it out of the way.

I don't think it needs to be stealth. I am not identified?

Yeah but if it was there another week or two, or a month, that would be ok. I suspect you're not desperate for the cash either.

Not identified really, just description of location and photos and eBay user name. I was just thinking as a precaution, in case you hadn't thought of it really.

I would want the maximum amount of money with the minimum amount of time and hassle, that might not be possible though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shindigger said:

But you can cancel bids. I normally only sell when ebay offer the £1 deals.

So if i get some helmet that doesn't pay, i only have an issue getting back a quid.

They used to give you a listing credit in lieu of the sale fee. Not sure if thats still the case.

Bollox to that, i only list when it's a quid anyway.

I sold a car. It was about 700 quid if I recall. It was a major hassle. I had 3 bidders who were time wasters. Zero feedback or single digit. One guy was clearly EE who i never. Heard from again. I then offered it fort the third bidder for his bid of 400. Luckily he bought it. Though I wouldnt have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of listing a car on ebay soon, and expecting grief. I thought you could relist it if the winning bidder doesn't pay up though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'm thinking of listing a car on ebay soon, and expecting grief. I thought you could relist it if the winning bidder doesn't pay up though?

As I said he has to agree to cancel the sale. If he fucks off no deal. I also had a camera fall through. Timewaster. Never heard from him again.  Charged £15 quid fees. Free relist if I wanted. No thanks. Still got the camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm resisting Carl Fimble's temptation to go looking for the listing as really the last thing I need to be doing is browsing non-runner Porsche listings on ebay as it ends up like going to a dogs home and wanting to take them all with you.

By the sounds of it you've got a figure of around £3.5k+ in your mind as a fair-ish price. TBH if a bonafide breaker is going to offer you £3k and not mess about I'd bite their hand off. With it being a non-runner you run the risk of all sorts of fucking about with 'mates letting them down on borrowing their trailer' and if they're muppets there's scope for them having a loading mishap or other fuck-up before they've safely left your property after turning up with something wildly inappropriate to collect it.

For example, see what these sellers had to do to get their ebay buyer on the way - have to admit to being slightly impressed he managed to get on his way - watch it right to the end it's unreal or at least until you see what the towing dolly is hitched to - 'better than an Ifor Williams as the travellers don't want to look at it' - well there's some sort of logic there.

 

 

 

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

EBay is peculiar. Surely Autotrader would be better? Any other suggestions for used motors?

Keep them, don't let the muggles get their grubby hands on your treasure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.