• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

Ebay advice required

4 hours ago, onlyme said:

High value stuff always list as advertised elsewhere, reserve the right to end early etc. Add phone number for queries. This can help in attracting the attention of serious bidders to get in contact and view, which is what you want. Sold two cars this year on gumtree pretty quickly which is free and attracts more local buyers. Not sure what will happen with your bidders though.

Gumtree is a good idea. I have a motorcycle, and car to shift. I don't think people will come from Glasgow to tyre-kick.o.O

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Gumtree is a good idea. I have a motorcycle, and car to shift. I don't think people will come from Glasgow to tyre-kick.o.O

Worked for me. Best photos you can take, get the buyers round can haggle from there. Both times first to view bought.

I tend to find that eBay is ok for the lower value stuff. Anything higher than a few hundred quid and you start attracting the scammers/fuckwits.

I absolutely would not entertain buying or selling anything electrical or mechanical on it as it's just not worth the ball-ache and the chances of being done over are just too great.

There is an inherent issue with selling cars in general though, like buying or selling a house it can degenerate into a total arse with timewasters, the 'I'll give you half the price now in cash, innit bruv' crowd and those who buy it and come back for a moan a week later about something well described initially. It's the reason people like webuyanycar do so well.

If you can sell it to a breaker then bite their hand off. There is much less chance of them fucking you about.

11 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I tend to find that eBay is ok for the lower value stuff. Anything higher than a few hundred quid and you start attracting the scammers/fuckwits.

I absolutely would not entertain buying or selling anything electrical or mechanical on it as it's just not worth the ball-ache and the chances of being done over are just too great.

There is an inherent issue with selling cars in general though, like buying or selling a house it can degenerate into a total arse with timewasters, the 'I'll give you half the price now in cash, innit bruv' crowd and those who buy it and come back for a moan a week later about something well described initially. It's the reason people like webuyanycar do so well.

If you can sell it to a breaker then bite their hand off. There is much less chance of them fucking you about.

Got a couple quotes from WBAC, problem is they really do low-ball offer and then don't stop sending emails about it! 2/3 to 1/2 achievable price in my case. Also heard tales of them cutting their online offer significantly when they come to pick up. 

Another thing to put on ebay listing - all bids with <10 feedback will be cancelled automatically unless bidder gets in contact first I think by tweaking the ad wording suitable most time wasters can be put off which helps. Schpock should be good but has a god awful search and listing for the buyer. There's Friday Ads as well which seems to have a decent amount of listings but have not used that yet. To be fair have bought a fair few not inexpensive items on Ebay and generally has been good, the listing and selling fees are a piss take though for what they actually have to do for the money.

Edited by onlyme

I've used autotrader to sell cars. The last one, I got a lowball offer from a dealer. He was really good about it, honest and upfront but I knew I could get more. Then I had a woman on the phone and the conversation went something like this:

me.  Hello?

her. Yes I'm calling about the car. 

Me.  Ah, good 

her, yes I'll offer you a thousand 

me.  Well I can get more in trade in than that and I've also been offered more than that.  You do realise it is on for 2200?

her.  Well it's all I can afford.  

Me.  I can't afford to sell it for that and I have received a higher offer

her.  I have children to feed, you must help me out

me.  Started laughing, wouldn't help it and said no sorry, can't do

her.  It's because I'm black. You won't sell it to me coz I'm black 

seriously.  Loon.  

9 hours ago, Rave said:

I'm thinking of listing a car on ebay soon, and expecting grief. I thought you could relist it if the winning bidder doesn't pay up though?

Don't do it, it really is a vipers nest for sellers and buyers esp for cars. Tried buying a car on it recently and got outbid, buyer dropped out and then the seller got in touch to offer it to me. Asked him simple stuff about the car but he played dumb "sorry m8 don't know much about cars", checked him out a bit more and found out he's a mechanic. Gave it a miss.

48 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Don't do it, it really is a vipers nest for sellers and buyers esp for cars. Tried buying a car on it recently and got outbid, buyer dropped out and then the seller got in touch to offer it to me. Asked him simple stuff about the car but he played dumb "sorry m8 don't know much about cars", checked him out a bit more and found out he's a mechanic. Gave it a miss.

I can sell you a good second hand car. Honest, I'm about to venture onto autotrader with it. o.OxD

13 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Funny thing is I didn't realise it was a high value item.

You are right. It is full of scammers. Do you still pay ebay if the sale doesn't complete?

Money is always nice and yes, I do want to get it out of the way.

I don't think it needs to be stealth. I am not identified?

No, but we can see the feedback you left thanking that seller for the size 10 stilettos that arrived in good time and fitted you perfectly.

12 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

I knew the colour and model from elsewhere on here, and saw another car I knew about from here in the background.

Is he also selling an autograph book containing a range of celebrity signatures. 

5 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yep I sold a £500 car on gumtree once.  Nothing but hassle.

Oddest one was somebody who sent loads and loads of texts, then didn't even turn up.  Even attempted to get me to drive somewhere and meet him.  No idea why anybody would bother, can only think it's entertainment to some strange people.

autotrader brought decent buyers though.

14 minutes ago, sisyphal said:

No idea why anybody would bother, can only think it's entertainment to some strange people

That's what I don't get - why create a fake account just to bugger up an auction?

Unless the idea is that by doing so they stop all those that would have genuinely bid and then come back to you afterwards (using their legitimate account) with a low cash offer?

24 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Is he also selling an autograph book containing a range of celebrity signatures. 

Yes - but be quick - I only have 50 copies left.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Have you tried CarandClassic.co.uk?

No. To be honest I was just after a quick and painless sale that allowed a market price to be discovered. -without hordes of people coming to view and wasting my time / casing my house!

But what I have learned is yet again, the market is rigged against true price discovery. 

20 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

A new lesson learned. Let's call it Cunning Plan's Law:

"A quick and painless sale and eBay should never appear in the same sentence. "

We could just simplify it to 'A not so cunning plan' :PissedOff:

People tend to forget about the old ways of doing stuff. If it’s a drive away vehicle with MOT I think a sign in the window and parked somewhere prominent can be surprisingly effective.

Pub near me lets punters put theirs at the front of the car park, by a busy junction, and they don’t seem to hang around long.

18 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Some of you will recall that I was planning on getting rid of my old Porsche.

Well I finally stuck it on ebay. Remember it has an electrical fault, rusted sills, hasn't been driven for a couple of years and is basically knackered.

Wife thought I was taking the piss with a reserve of £500.

The first few hours I had 10+ chancers wanting a 'buy it now' price or offering £2k cash and they could collect that day. I ignored them.

I had one bloke being very convincing about being a restoration enthusiast so he came over to take a look. He was more concerned that I might have a dog than he was about the car if you know what I mean. Don't think I want any more 'viewings'

So anyway, it is bid up to about £1,900 by guys with good feedback (breakers from the look of it) which is Ok.

The suddenly, someone with hidden feedback makes an automatic bid and then someone else with no feedback makes another automatic bid. The hidden guy bids to a max of £5,300 and the no feedback gut bids £7k. Clearly stupid.

So I try and contact then £7k bidder, get no reply and delete his bid. This drops the hidden feedback bloke back to £2k (even though I know his autobid is up to £5,300

Tonight I get a new bidder who goes up to £3,400 but keeps getting outbid by the hidden feedback bloke. New bidder has been a member since 2015 but only has 1 positive feedback (no negative). New bidder then emails me (in decent English - quite a surprise) saying it is too steep for him but keep in contact.

Question is, is the whole thing a nest of vipers? If I delete the hidden feedback guy's bid, I guess it will fall back to £2,400 from the +1 feedback guy. 

Should I just be done with it and offer it to the +1 bloke for £3k and close the thing down?

To add, I am used to doing business with retired ladies who arrange flowers at church. This sort of 'hustle' stuff is quite alien to me.

I have not sold anything in years on ebay so excuse my ignorance ....but how do you know that 

7 hours ago, gibbon said:

It's a Mk3.5 Fiesta with home welded sills and (as a result) a year's MOT. I'm not sure where else to try and sell it...

What payment methods did you list ? - I would not take paypal for a high value (multi k) item because whoever buys it can get ebay to seize you payment back upto a month after sale with some trumped up excuse. Bank transfer / cash / bitcoin only.

But yes there certain classes of goods on ebay that are magnets for chancers and scammers, phones TVs and cars seem to be the worst.

Edited by goldbug9999