DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

MOT every two years?

Dave Beans

Andersen

New cars don't need an mot for the first 3 years of their life, many are traded in just before the first mot is due, far too many have had near zero maintenance and are not safe.

Old ("vintage", pre-1980 ish?) are mot exempt, when that exemption was announced there were a lot of previously unroadworthy old cars being advertised for sale "tax & mot exempt - drive it away". A lot are owned by entusiasts who spend more time maintaining them than driving them, a lot aren't.

Scary to think many of the cars on the road would fail a basic saftey check :o

• Agree 2

Are there any stats showing how many cars are in accidents caused by failures covered by the checks in the MOT?  Is it a surprisingly large number or surprisingly small one? 

If Shapps is floating the idea is there an ulterior motive?

Taking more cars off the road as something like rust held back at by a little repair a one year check rate becomes a serious / scrapping problem at two years? Will roadside checks be anticipated to pick up more failures and instant large fines for the govt?

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis

Why is the original Tweet qualifying it by bringing in less frequent servicing?

Each car has a service schedule which will still need to be adhered to in order to claim FSH and that usually means annually.

Though tbh as you're bringing it in for a service you're going to want basic safety checks so you may as well keep the MoT test.

What a poorly thought out idea.

• Agree 5

Personally I would not have a problem when one has to deal with the DVA. Would be great to see people servicing their cars before the MOT itself. But then we can't really trust people with the amount of bald chinese tyres I see on fancy cars these days.

belfastchild
1 hour ago, A_P said:

But then we can't really trust people with the amount of bald chinese tyres I see on fancy cars these days.

Mots were suspended over in NI for 2 years. My mechanic mate said the cars coming in to him before it was restarted were shocking. Ours starts from 4 years so a lot of extended pcp cars with no maintenance at all.

As ap mentions  cheap Chinese tyres are shite. Took me 2 months to get proper tyres recently. See an uplift in places offering part worns again.

My mot is up 2nd week in May. Applied for test back home and got a date of first week in Sept and 20 miles away from where I live. Complete balls up.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Mots were suspended over in NI for 2 years. My mechanic mate said the cars coming in to him before it was restarted were shocking. Ours starts from 4 years so a lot of extended pcp cars with no maintenance at all.

As ap mentions  cheap Chinese tyres are shite. Took me 2 months to get proper tyres recently. See an uplift in places offering part worns again.

My mot is up 2nd week in May. Applied for test back home and got a date of first week in Sept and 20 miles away from where I live. Complete balls up.

I do wonder how much is people just skint/tightfisted versus garage offering the cheapest tyre. I did recently put 2 new conti's on my car but was quoted some eastern euro brand I had never heard of in the initial instance.

Is the markup higher on the budget tyre? I wouldn't have thought so myself. However they do probably get more tyre changes. I suspect a Chinese tyre although cheaper wear quicker. How do the greenies feel about that one (video below)?

When at the lights I usually check out the tyres on the car next to me (really sad i know) and rarely will I see an OEM unless its a new car.

Snake Plissken

Bad idea, take tyres for instance, plenty of people will only replace them when the fail the mot and never check them themselves, you could easily just pass with worn tyres then drive them to dangerous and have an accident in the 2 years between the next check.

• Agree 4

Sugarlips

Western Aus has no test requirements at all there are 30 - 40 yo shitboxes everywhere. As well as 20 year old 4-5 liter v8’s etc

Onus is on the owner so could be sketchy when needing to sort the insurance claims I guess 🤷‍♀️

• Informative 1

Bear Hug
3 hours ago, A_P said:

I do wonder how much is people just skint/tightfisted versus garage offering the cheapest tyre. I did recently put 2 new conti's on my car but was quoted some eastern euro brand I had never heard of in the initial instance.

Is the markup higher on the budget tyre? I wouldn't have thought so myself. However they do probably get more tyre changes. I suspect a Chinese tyre although cheaper wear quicker. How do the greenies feel about that one (video below)?

When at the lights I usually check out the tyres on the car next to me (really sad i know) and rarely will I see an OEM unless its a new car.

Still lots of thread on some of those! 

8 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Bad bad bad idea. 

There'd be cars with bald tyres, broken windscreen wipers and dodgy brakes all over the place!

You are a fine one to lecture us all on vehicle maintenance.

• Lol 2

Jeff2500

I suspect the ones who would  have the most to gain from 2yr mots are the ones who don’t maintain their vehicles. For those that do the saving would only be the cost of an mot

Edited by Jeff2500
Spelling
  • Agree 2

Carl Fimble
6 hours ago, MrPin said:

You are a fine one to lecture us all on vehicle maintenance.

I've experience and so am qualified. 

It's like when I advise folk not to smoke, while smoking. 

Uncle Buck Rogers
9 hours ago, A_P said:

What a waste. Why not shred them and turn them into insulation of some form?

Or at least sell them to African despots for law and order.

• Lol 1

13 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

A cunning plan to wipe out most ICE service centres.

Doubles all round chaps.

Will be happening anyway. Every new EV on the road is another nail in their coffins. I have mentioned this before but our 1st EV made in 2012 did not have the front factory disks and pads replaced until 118k miles and 2021. And they were still not an MOT failure. Rears lasted until 80k miles too. 

Tyres are the only wear item an EV has in common with ICE cars. Not much else.  Steering and suspension in most modern cars does not fail or need work "often". 

Dave Beans
2 hours ago, markyh said:

Will be happening anyway. Every new EV on the road is another nail in their coffins. I have mentioned this before but our 1st EV made in 2012 did not have the front factory disks and pads replaced until 118k miles and 2021. And they were still not an MOT failure. Rears lasted until 80k miles too. 

Tyres are the only wear item an EV has in common with ICE cars. Not much else.  Steering and suspension in most modern cars does not fail or need work "often". 

...and then it'll be up to EV car makers to brick your car whenever they feel you've broken their Ts & Cs...

whitevanman
24 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

...and then it'll be up to EV car makers to brick your car whenever they feel you've broken their Ts & Cs...

… or posting a spicy meme on twitter

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

First of the Model S or last of the original Roadsters?

Neither, but one of the rarest cars in the UK, less than 150 left on the road now. Keeping ours as a future classic.